What's the safest character?

Hardcore
Looking to start a HC character to take a break from my 82 PL barb on Softcore, so please don't say barb is the safest ;0

I'm thinking it's Wizard, but a lot of people say Monk.

How do you level? Skip bad areas/mobs, farm a few levels in an easy zone, rinse and repeat till 60?
U think its a wizard ? lol...

barb/wd
.
.
.
.
Monk
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
wiz/dh (with the amazing fact of the day being that 2/3 of all wizards/dhs ever made are dead)

in that order
WD hands down is the safest HC class.
No class is really "safe" they all die everyday. I am partial to the monk though. Great skill sets avsilable , extra life with NDE and the most powerful AoE skill in the game (WoL). WD is also a great class. I went the furthest with the WD on mp10 self found. They too have a great skill set. Whatever class you choose good luck and have fun. Welcome to HC brother!

P.s. I level in COTA on mp10.

21 in normal
40 in NM
57 in hell maybe 58 if I don't get bored
I have 4 archon wizArds that I multi box with. They are pretty safe when you gear and skill them properly. Not sure why everyone thinks they are the worst. Energy armor/prismatic and archon gives you 75% armor and 65% AR. When you combine that with skills like ice armor ice reflect which has a 25% chance to freeze enemies that melee attack you and does 75% weapon damage when the frost nova procs, you get a massive EHP boost and disconnect protection. I am partial to wizards but the general opinion is that WD's are he best in HC.
06/23/2013 04:27 PMPosted by tbagala
WD hands down is the safest HC class.
I don't even know why there is a debate about this. I've played all 4 classes extensively in HC (except DH cause they die too easily) and the barb is the only one who I felt the only way he could die was to a disconnect. In order of most to least likely to survive I would rate them as Barb, Monk, WD, Wiz and finally DH.
06/23/2013 05:07 PMPosted by KillerElite
I have 4 archon wizArds that I multi box with. They are pretty safe when you gear and skill them properly. Not sure why everyone thinks they are the worst. Energy armor/prismatic and archon gives you 75% armor and 65% AR. When you combine that with skills like ice armor ice reflect which has a 25% chance to freeze enemies that melee attack you and does 75% weapon damage when the frost nova procs, you get a massive EHP boost and disconnect protection. I am partial to wizards but the general opinion is that WD's are he best in HC.


You've bought gold and spent more than a billion to gear your wizard and you're saying he's safe as a class ? is there a class that wont be safe when packing billions ? He's starting hc, probably has no money, wizards and DHs are on the bottom, if you ever try to level them on your own with no cash/help you'll see just how much on the bottom those classes are, when compared to the other 3...
06/23/2013 04:27 PMPosted by tbagala
WD hands down is the safest HC class.


This. Witch Doctor has:

- Pets to tank for him and distract enemies
- The best escape skill in the game (Spirit Walk)
- The best "second life" passive in the game (Spirit Vessel), which he gets at Level 30, well before Monk and Wiz get theirs.
- Acid Cloud and Rain of Toads, which work really well in tandem and give great Life on Hit returns
- Zombie Bears and Firebats, to burst down elites.

On the other hand, if Barbarian is the class you have the most experience with, I strongly recommend that your first Hardcore character be a Barb. Muscle memory goes a long way in keeping you safe. You don't have to use Whirlwind like you did in Softcore; you could always use HotA or Cleave + Rend.
WD
Barb
Monk
DH
Wiz

Is my immpression. Wiz is probably just as safe as barbs when your at a high gear lvl but you will need billions to get there.
I use barb with clobber and a shield...

don't care how long it takes I feel good most of the time. Getting a little tricky self found =(
I have 4 archon wizArds that I multi box with. They are pretty safe when you gear and skill them properly. Not sure why everyone thinks they are the worst. Energy armor/prismatic and archon gives you 75% armor and 65% AR. When you combine that with skills like ice armor ice reflect which has a 25% chance to freeze enemies that melee attack you and does 75% weapon damage when the frost nova procs, you get a massive EHP boost and disconnect protection. I am partial to wizards but the general opinion is that WD's are he best in HC.


You've bought gold and spent more than a billion to gear your wizard and you're saying he's safe as a class ? is there a class that wont be safe when packing billions ? He's starting hc, probably has no money, wizards and DHs are on the bottom, if you ever try to level them on your own with no cash/help you'll see just how much on the bottom those classes are, when compared to the other 3...


So why does this have to be about my gear? I never once brought my gear into the equation. I know my stats are pretty damn high. I simply pointed out a couple of nice skills that make a wiz very tanky. 75% armor and 65 % AR is a crap ton of EHP. I also pointed out armor spells that can protect you if you go afk for whatever reason. UA is an awesome second chance passive. You cannot deny that if used properly a wiz can be very good at staying alive. Why don't you say what is really in your mind.
Btw, I did buy gold with proceeds from the sale of my sc gear but I also have legitimately found gear that I sold for just over 1.6b since rolling this HC wiz. One such item was a chants wand that I recently posted about in a thread where I gave away some of the gold I earned from of it. Stating that Someone bought gold is a bit Bold. I could have financed my gear with my earnings even though i did not. If you want a question answered, just ask instead of assuming.
:s So many DH haters out there. Honestly all classes are equally survivable provided the operator has some skill at the controls and knows how to gear and spec. I'm a bit biased to DH because what other class can roll MP10 on 400AR/4K armor and 40K HP?

@ KillerElite- man, don't worry about the haters. Who cares if you bought gold honestly? Perfectly within the ToU as long as you didn't go off site ;)
Think I'm going to go with a WD, reasons being 1) majority rules and 2) I've never played one so it will be a good change of pace

Is there a level by level guide out there on where to grind? I've looked at guides and just see what skills to get and when to enter each difficulty
The fastest solo lvling I've done was just grinding through A1 on mp0 till I got the cota checkpoint. From there I'd just do cota runs and slowly notch up the mp till I was doing mp10 with ease, then moving to keep 3 runs starting on mp0 again, kill D and repeat the process through nightmare and hell till I reach 60.
I'm so confused .. you were doing MP10 on normal then moved to Nightmare? What? Isn't MP only for 60 / Inferno?
WD .. And pray for a "thing of the deep" later on in your self found glory
06/23/2013 11:26 PMPosted by SyZ
I'm so confused .. you were doing MP10 on normal then moved to Nightmare? What? Isn't MP only for 60 / Inferno?


Monster Power can be used even on Normal Difficulty. Upon starting a new character, before starting the game, you can opt to change quest and adjust the MP level just as usual.

Unless you are playing with self found rules, you can pretty much gear your character to the point you outgear the content, especially on Normal Difficulty. There is no reason you should play on less than MP 10 on Normal. You will be getting increased XP as well as gold.

The only place I'd suggest to turn it back to MP 0 would be areas where there are fire traps, such as act1 halls and act3 keeps. Since at low level, there are next to no resistance gears, these traps will do considerable amount of damage each tick and can kill you before you even realise what is going on.
Wow, is that new? Wasn't like that nine months ago before I quit heh

But seriously, MP10 from MP0 is huge .. maybe I'll do MP3 to start

Just finished A1 at level 13, do WDs usually use mojos or shields?

Time to start looking at AH gear ..

Join the Conversation

Return to Forum