Blizz, elaborate on Diablo 3 vs. Guild Wars 2 patches

General Discussion
First of all, I loved D1 and D2 and still love Diablo Universe. Also I like to play Guild Wars 2 too since it has amazing content and depth.

So, i was thinking, how come, the game that has been a way longer in production with, I guess more funds (Diablo 3), has so low amount of content and depth compared to a way shorter GW2 production span and founds.

Also Diablo 3 sold in 13~millions of copies which is far more than GW2 as far as I know, and actually I'm so stunned with quality of GW2 patches and will of upgrading the game from developers that NCSOFT is getting my respect even more than Blizz (I though that I will never say that).

All Diablo 3 patches are so cosmetic and small compared to GW2 which reminds me of 3D Realms creating DNF Forever...

Blizzard, can u somehow answer your fan to understand what u did and why you are doing it so slow without any new content and significant upgrades?

Regards,
Ixo
Do you have ANY idea how long it takes to count $400 million in profit?

DO YOU?

:]

DO YOU?

I think that is the funniest thing I have read in a while!

I agree though that the real money transactions are giving the game funds just like guild wars 2 has in games item to make funds for more content. I believe the business model though is to get you to play WoW and not more D3 so releasing more content for D3 will not achieve that goal.

DO YOU?

This!!!
I guess u might be right. But it's still pain for fan to see that company you trusted mostly is falling in your eyes.

Actually not only mine, but all friends I play with say the same.

Pity.
I'm not sure if development was longer. I know d3 got rebooted and it seems as though Brevik butt heads then parted so it technically wasn't in development that whole time per se.

I kind of expect this from an arpg because it's entirely different from mmos. In mmos they have to release new content like raids or people quit. In arpgs they don't because the endgame is essentially infinite.

I doubt d2 patches were any better anyways and I'm not sure what you expect. Do you want a new act every patch or something?
All that content is being put on the expansion, so they can make money from their hard work. Not to mention their console versions.

There are also tons of other games which get way more updates than Diablo 3, some are free to play..

I figure Blizzard is trying to sell Diablo 3 as a $60.00 console game, while the rest of us want a PC game with frequent updates.

The fan boys who defend Blizzard saying this is not a n MMO are a big a part of the problem though. Blizzard has made way more money than companies that have been spitting out big game changing updates. Blizzard has spread their Diablo 3 team too thin, where something like an itemization patch takes an entire year.
All that content is being put on the expansion, so they can make money from their hard work. Not to mention their console versions.

There are also tons of other games which get way more updates than Diablo 3, some are free to play..

I figure Blizzard is trying to sell Diablo 3 as a $60.00 console game, while the rest of us want a PC game with frequent updates.

The fan boys who defend Blizzard saying this is not a n MMO are a big a part of the problem though. Blizzard has made way more money than companies that have been spitting out big game changing updates. Blizzard has spread their Diablo 3 team too thin, where something like an itemization patch takes an entire year.

Can you tell me if d2 patches were any better though? I don't think they actually added that much more content to that game then what one extra act after release?

But it is different from a mmo. Again let's go back to d2. What did you do for years? You farmed the same acts and bosses over and over again and that kept you entertained right? Mmos don't work like that. People literally quit and stop paying subs when they got bored with the content in WoW.

Itemization is clearly a difficult problem and something they probably don't know what to do either, but that's not to say there hasn't been any patches at all. 1.0.8 was a good patch and personally I really enjoy the monster power and much better co-op experience.

Really getting tired of these moronic posters.Go play those big game changing updates. Play all those trash games for that matter. I think Blizzard should not waste any time on itemization for a bunch of whiners that think they are supposed to be in D3 where they were in D2 after a decade.

If they released it tomorrow you'd only be back here hating the next day. There is no plealsing the people in this forum.
guild wars 2 is boring lol. cant believe i let a friend trick me into buying that generic mmo crap.

swinging your sword has a cooldown? lame
I guess u might be right. But it's still pain for fan to see that company you trusted mostly is falling in your eyes.

Actually not only mine, but all friends I play with say the same.

Pity.

Blizzard Game--Units Sold--Revenue
World of Warcraft 12 Million $228 Million
World of Warcraft Expansions 21 Million $399 Million
World of Warcraft Subscription Revenue $1.4 Billion
StarCraft (including Brood War expansion) 9.5 Million $437 Million
Starcraft II : Wings of Liberty 4.6 Million $242.5 Million
Diablo 2.5 Million $112.5 Million
Diablo II 4.2 Million $202 Million
Diablo II : Lord of Destruction expansion 1.2 Million $33.6 Million
Diablo III 6.8 Million $401.2 Million
Warcraft III : Reign of Chaos 3 Million $135 Million
Warcraft III : The Frozen Throne expansion 5 Million $95 Million
Warcraft II : Tides of Darkness 1 Million $50 Million
Warcraft : Orcs & Humans 1.1 Million $45 Million
Total Blizzard Game Revenue 73 Million $3.782 Billion

[url=http://www.statisticbrain.com/blizzard-entertainment-statistics/]Link[/url] for clarity.

Regardless of what perception and individual opinion may be, it's pretty clear that Diablo 3 is a success in the eyes of Blizzard. Cold hard facts are, when a D3 expansion is released, even the most jaded of trolls here will line up to buy it as well.
First of all, I loved D1 and D2 and still love Diablo Universe. Also I like to play Guild Wars 2 too since it has amazing content and depth.

So, i was thinking, how come, the game that has been a way longer in production with, I guess more funds (Diablo 3), has so low amount of content and depth compared to a way shorter GW2 production span and founds.

Also Diablo 3 sold in 13~millions of copies which is far more than GW2 as far as I know, and actually I'm so stunned with quality of GW2 patches and will of upgrading the game from developers that NCSOFT is getting my respect even more than Blizz (I though that I will never say that).

All Diablo 3 patches are so cosmetic and small compared to GW2 which reminds me of 3D Realms creating DNF Forever...

Blizzard, can u somehow answer your fan to understand what u did and why you are doing it so slow without any new content and significant upgrades?

Regards,
Ixo

Blizzard shows that they are still swimming in a process heavily influenced by waterfall development methodologies with a classic long cycle update releases and are perceived like the are master of perfection and things gets their time to get done properly like the famous "when it's ready" or "Soon", while Guild Wars 2 or Path of Exile have got a modern agile approach and they can dish out updates that are perceived more humble but responsive.

There is a psychological meaning in their approach that make them look like the king of high production quality development, they use well-crafted communication and fool masses from a certain perspective :)

This kind of approach has been followed in the past by Apple with their flavour of it, to make the mass believe that they are the king of polished products in the smartphone market.

We are moving out this period of time where this product development and marketing strategy works efficiently, so I would suggest Blizzard to start thinking about buying some agile books especially for the management team, the Oreilly The Lean series would be a good start.
Yes constant patches for Guild Wars 2 yet Diablo 3 we cannot get new content until 2014 and that's just a maybe and most of the content may be saved for an expansion.