Characters who don't believe in lords of hell

Lore and Story
I don't know if this has been a subject already or not, but given two diablo games spanning years, why would there be characters like Abd al-Hazir who don't believe in the lords of hell, and yet see and know of demons all over the place. Not to mention all the characters who've seen and know of the lords of hell. This just makes me really confused, it's like if we all had pet cats but never believed in the lions or tigers that lived in Asia and Africa.
Was it like this in diablo 2 (I can't remember)? I know characters where skeptical in diablo1 but I mean it had been a really long time since anything had happened before that game started.
I don't know if this has been a subject already or not, but given two diablo games spanning years, why would there be characters like Abd al-Hazir who don't believe in the lords of hell, and yet see and know of demons all over the place. Not to mention all the characters who've seen and know of the lords of hell. This just makes me really confused, it's like if we all had pet cats but never believed in the lions or tigers that lived in Asia and Africa.
Was it like this in diablo 2 (I can't remember)? I know characters where skeptical in diablo1 but I mean it had been a really long time since anything had happened before that game started.

It's like bigfoot in modern times. One could argue "We discover new species everyday how can you not believe in bigfoot or the lochness monster?" In the world of sanctuary demons are a normal occurrence. Demons are as common in sanctuary as antelope is in our world. Their presence is an undeniable fact.

Places get ransacked by demons. People die to demons. In a world where there's demons there's people that probably also "exaggerate" such attacks. Imagine all the myths we have about lions, tigers, people, and more. Yes people witnessed the demon lords before but not many actually have. Most people knew something was "wrong." but that's it and most places that encountered one left very few survivors.

Realize in our day some people claim to see dragons, big foot, the lochness monster, and more despite no real solid evidence for their existence exists. Same too in the world of sanctuary that some people have seen demon lords. Enough people have witnessed them that word has spread but yet to scholars from parts of the world that have been unaffected by their presence they have no proof that these things actually exist.
I like your answer thx