Echoing Fury is Infuriating

General Discussion
EF is terrible. The .25 attacks per second doesn't add nearly as much DPS as everyone likes to think it does. You know why it has that stat? Because mobs run away when you attack them with an EF.

BTW, echo fury became 'cool' and a 'must have' when all the streamers said so. No one uses it because they honestly think its better, its because someone told them to use it.
07/03/2013 10:03 AMPosted by CrniVuk
two hand weapons suck big time in this game anyway. Thx to this super simple item and skill system where a lot of the skills and resources depend rather on attack speed then anything else, which makes twohand weapons quite often less usefull compared to dual wield, which gives you a flat out +15% more attack speed ... the only good twohand weapon is a Skorn with awesome stats. And even here its very difficult to get any kind of LL and you will always feel cripled because you lack attack speed.

I really hate the speed on skorns but they are by far quicker killers than 2 1 handed weapons, unless you spend an arm and a leg on 1,200+ dps rare maces/spears with a lot of strength. Skorns are so easy to come by and super cheap if you don't get LS or IAS. A 450-500+ Str Skorn with 1,400+ dps will outclass every weapon in the game unless you get some insane rolls, as far as eDPS is concerned. Also, a skorn is far greater for farming trash, since you just rend and run. As long as there is a ton of trash around, it's basically impossible to lose your fury.
Yea I agree, it's easier to get a good EF.
Supposedly there's more of them cause botters mainly pick up those beams.
I myself hate that ridiculous affix on the echoing fury, but while farming MP10 Weeping Hollows it lends a hand in trying to get ridiculously large monster kill streaks, so far the largest I have managed in Weeping Hollow was an 888 monster kill streak, and this wasn't even a full clear.

I agree, with the OP that this is an infuriating affix, but agree with everyone else that it is the only flaw which makes the user actually decide whether the benefits outweigh the flaws.
You barbs are crazy. You're mobile death tanks and now you want the enemies to sit there and do nothing. Go play with 3 cm wizards then if you don't want to chase enemies
The speed is part of the problem with it actually :-(

Cool sounding stuff with the sickle though =)
07/03/2013 10:42 AMPosted by TheInfamous7
You barbs are crazy. You're mobile death tanks and now you want the enemies to sit there and do nothing. Go play with 3 cm wizards then if you don't want to chase enemies
There's some builds that cope well with the mobility issues that ensues with the use of EF. Others don't.
And since it's such a dominant weapon those builds negate other builds viability.
Most of the highest dps characters want to have a good control and focus aoe on the mobs, that's impossible when faced with the crazed flailings of a frenzied barbarian!

I got good crowdcontrol with my build, but I burn through my spirit very fast when trying to gather up mobs to do damage to them.
Since I use cyclone strike, I want to use others heavy aoes as well as my own so I try to gather mobs to others primarly.
In that regard, I find EF more disturbing than any knockback in the game, bar lashing tail kick perhaps.
Then use a skorn or 1h rare, problem solved. Come the item patch, butcher sickles as an ilvl63 will be a true monster and the new must have.
07/03/2013 07:41 AMPosted by Ender
I don't think the fear was originally designed as a flaw, they just tuned the game so poorly that having a mob not in melee with you is now a bad thing.

I don't think it's design as a flaw either. The current diablo team clearly thought it was a benefit and didn't think it through. They did add knockback effect to barb skills.
barbs should not use it for pub games when we need enemies close not running away constantly makes it harder to keep fury going and slows down the run.
07/03/2013 11:54 AMPosted by DecadoKiller
barbs should not use it for pub games when we need enemies close not running away constantly makes it harder to keep fury going and slows down the run.

Yea, exactly my sentiment too!
In an organized group, with people gearing and skilling for it, it's a completly different ballpark.

Then why do 90% of the people use a !@#$ EF?

Then why do 90% of the people use a !@#$ EF?

It's easier to roll a good EF than a rare axe/mace/sword
Imo, its very well balanced because it works for some builds, yet not others, and is a decent weapon otherwise.
Thats the reason I refuse to use one. I could easily bump my DPS 20K+ by using a decent EF instead of one of my crap weps but the fear is just to annoying and I wont put my friends thru it.
If it did not have the fear proc the thing would certainly sell for 500 million+ gold every time.

I agree the fear proc is annoying, but you deal with the good and the bad.

A few abilities are rather a problem then really helpfull. Fear on hit is one of them. Knockback the other ... particularly for meele characters. I can see those skills to be somewhat helpfull for ranged characters. But Monks and Barbs really have not much use for those traits. For example, I would love to see ALL kinds of knockback dissapear from Barb skills, what we need is the OPPOSITE of knockbback, give some of the skills a form of Vortex that works after 1-2 seconds, this would help us so much against ranged or kiting characters like shamans and succubus. Knocking them back when you hit them? Thats more of a help for them ...

Barbarians do have a vortex ability, its Ground Stomp + Wrenching Smash and it is actually better than the Vortex ability as it does stun the enemies it pulls in. It's even better in some ways than the monk's Cyclone strike because it has no limit to the number of enemies it can pull in. Personally I only use echoing fury when I play solo and even then I use one with the lowest fear chance I could find, which was 11%.

Do you mean to say that you get furious over and over again as if it was an echo? Seems the item is aptly named to me. =p
07/03/2013 05:48 PMPosted by DuckOfDeath

Do you mean to say that you get furious over and over again as if it was an echo? Seems the item is aptly named to me. =p

Yeah the pun was intended. >.>