Monster power = meh... We want an actual challenge! :p

General Discussion
Despite more areas / more content / more subquests and more monster designs are one way to go (that takes blizz a lot of time, efforts and consideration). I would suggest something that may have been offered in the past.

A switch (like mP) for the amount of monsters that appear.
Say 1 level of this switch would give 25% damage to monsters (from their initial damage)
and the maximum of this switch: "10" would give mobs 500% damage and give insane loots as we would NEED to use defensive spells (yes those that we Never use) to survive (I didnt run any numbers, but... making it barely impossible at a certain extent could make the loots worthwhile (50% Better mod rolls on all drops) while MORE monsters appear everytime you up the Md, they would get tons more damage to actually make this impossible for a barb to charge in without dodging the first few ranged attacks. Oh, actually... he would need to leap and stun the group to allow the team to come stick around once he soaked some attacks (tons of damage).

An actual mode to feel like diversity is the way to go... accordingly to your team composition. Here are some spells that I can think of that would become useful:

- Ignore pain (mob rule)
- Korlic Madawc Talic x) (not sure but I think they're immortal while it lasts?)
- all aoe slows
- stuns (usually deal much less damage)
- defensive mantras
- sanctuaries
- summons
- serinity (tranquility)
- A bunch of wd spells
- Mage bubbles
- Totems

Let me know :p
Make anything more powerful and people will complain, then things will get easier again and we will have another pointless feature that gives no rewards for your efforts.
...People are bound to complain... not sure why you wouldn't actually consider this as a possibility and a fun feature to be implemented.

Make it a known fact that if you turn on that switch, you are most likely to get Slapped.
Perhaps Only allow people that are level 100 paragon to access this feature?
Unless this game became "skill based" with less "RNG" aspects like hit detection, there will never really be a challenge to this game that couldn't be overcome with money/gear. The only thing in this game I could consider to be challenging, is the fight against Belial.
Yea, MP is already a challenge for me. For those who don't find it challenging, not sure what to do for you guys. Wonder if you took a poll regarding the difficulty of MP10 what sort of distribution you will get if you ask pple to rank the difficulty from 1 to easy to 10 to being hard.
07/04/2013 10:55 AMPosted by half3vil
Unless this game became "skill based" with less "RNG" aspects like hit detection, there will never really be a challenge to this game that couldn't be overcome with money/gear. The only thing in this game I could consider to be challenging, is the fight against Belial.

It could be challenging if you could never outgear the mode, but again, you'd have people complaining about it and getting it nerfed to the ground. 1.03 was when I started and it was a lot more fun to play than it is now. Not only because it was new, but because I felt like I was progressing ALL THE TIME. Now I am just bored to death because I know there is no rewards for anything I do.
I want act5 with new gear along with new mobs
MP already lets you choose what level challenge you want, and people choose MP that they outgear because it is more efficient. There is no carrot on a stick to entice people to play challenging content like pre-nerf inferno. I think it was too hard back then, but now it's too easy.

As for the difficulty of MP10, barbs and wizards have thrown the balance out of whack. They have OP skills because crit chance was never expected to get as high as it does now. Monks, WDs, and DHs seem about right when it comes to MP10.
07/04/2013 10:59 AMPosted by ISmkPotatoes

It could be challenging if you could never outgear the mode, but again, you'd have people complaining about it and getting it nerfed to the ground. 1.03 was when I started and it was a lot more fun to play than it is now. Not only because it was new, but because I felt like I was progressing ALL THE TIME. Now I am just bored to death because I know there is no rewards for anything I do.

I have to agree with you there. I started playing on day 1 and looking back, I had the most fun during that time even though I complained about the difficulty from time to time. That massive wall in Act 3 was especially frustrating. I think the perfect difficulty setting should have stayed at the level it was before Jay Wilson famously "doubled it" or maybe just slightly higher.
Play self found MP3 only, when you get to the butcher add me as friend. (My monk would be the self-found one playing this way). If you don't like to grind it's probably not your thing, but then I don't know why you are playing diablo..
...People are bound to complain... not sure why you wouldn't actually consider this as a possibility and a fun feature to be implemented.

Make it a known fact that if you turn on that switch, you are most likely to get Slapped.

This was exactly how original Inferno was and people still complained. It was made very clear Inferno was going to be brutally hard and was only intended for hard core gamers, they even said "you will die in Inferno."

Unfortunately, butthurt people who somehow managed to be awful at a very easy game cried and got it nerfed, and that will happen to anything else that is made remotely difficult.
When will people realize Diablo is not about difficult, its about mindlessly mowing down insane amount of monsters in the best possible way to get the best items ?
I don't know how anyone can find MP unchallenging. Unless you are a barb geared out the wazoo. I find MP7 challenging with my heroes. I only have one that can even consider MP10 and that is my barb which I find boring as hell. All my other classes would get owned in MP10.

I'd never say no to new content of any type however. But, people always find a way to become OP'd eventually. That is the point unless you're a masochist and love getting your butt slapped over and over again by making it impossibly hard.
It's hard to create challenge in a gear driven game because by design you should always be able to reach a point that the hard content becomes easy.

Players wanting a challenge can simply provide themselves one by adjusting their playstyle.
- play self-found
- use non-staple builds

It might appeal to some, but I doubt many would want a difficulty that completely destroys you even when geared with the top 1% of the BiS gear available on the server.
Act 5
ilevel 64, 65
Attack speed roll on shields
built in affixes in underused weapon types, like weapon master light
movement speed cap increased to 35
some new elite affixes
increased legendary drop rate and extra chance for special legendaries from uniques&bosses
Nerf Crit damage by 25%
patch in self found mechanics/ladders

This was exactly how original Inferno was and people still complained. It was made very clear Inferno was going to be brutally hard and was only intended for hard core gamers, they even said "you will die in Inferno."

Unfortunately, butthurt people who somehow managed to be awful at a very easy game cried and got it nerfed, and that will happen to anything else that is made remotely difficult.

the problem with original inferno is that you cannot get anything worth !@#$ from a4 hell or a1-a2 inferno. You are pretty much FORCED to do a3+ inferno to get anything that is not complete %^-*.

They changed it, but it was too late. And now blizz needs to change RNG drops so you don't just keep getting brimstones.
07/04/2013 06:23 PMPosted by gitah
the problem with original inferno is that you cannot get anything worth !@#$ from a4 hell or a1-a2 inferno. You are pretty much FORCED to do a3+ inferno to get anything that is not complete %^-*.

I would think the only people who found the original inferno easy was those that used the RMAH.
07/04/2013 06:26 PMPosted by MerLock

I would think the only people who found the original inferno easy was those that used the RMAH.

I cleared all of inferno as monk without buying a single piece of gear from RMAH. In fact, I made a killing there.
I think an idea that offers a much better challenge is an endless dungeon. Each room containing increasingly numerous / difficult mobs with literally no end in sight. It really would be a great test of your character's power to see how far you can get.