New Feat: Trading Items in the Auction House

General Discussion
You know I can't stay all up, and open the chatroom looking for people to trade an item.

What if, in the auction house, On the Sell Tab, just below the amount of gold you want to sell it for, it will let you choose whether to sell it for gold or to trade it for a specific item (Gears, Gems, etc.) you want?

The Sell tab can be named Sell/trade

The feature could be like this:

1.) go to the sell tab.
2.) Choose a radial button: Sell item for gold or Trade item? Trade item.
2.) Pick an item (or two or more items) that you want to trade: i.e. Natalya's Bloody Footprints & Natalya's reflection)
3.) type in the item you want to trade it for: i.e. Mempo of Twilight
4.) Pick the stats you want on the mempo
5.) submit your listing.

A person looking to trade will have to go to the search, and choose items for trading. and if he's looking for that Natalya's Boots and rings or either of the two, and has the Mempo' that the trade conditions can meet, then it's a trade.
Sounds like a wonderful place for bots to spam their products :o
Interesting idea. But besides skirting the 15% fee, I'm not seeing the benefit?
If you know item A is of comparable worth to item B, why not just sell item A and use the gold to buy item B?
07/13/2013 01:25 PMPosted by Hamedo
If you know item A is of comparable worth to item B, why not just sell item A and use the gold to buy item B?

Because some people who are willing to trade, for example, 6 Radiant Star Gems + Chantodo's Will with 1,099 damage and socketed and looking for, say, Mempo of Twilight with over 190 Dex, and at least 5.0% critical hit chance — don't have enough gold or can't sell enough gold (and time) that will be enough to get that Helm. Unless there's someone generous and willing to trade that Mempo, which comes the need for item trading post in the Auction House.

You see, it eliminates the need for gold value; it's a trading system based on "I need that, you need this" system, and cuts the middle process of having the need to acquire the gold first to buy the item you want.
There's a reason civilization moved from the barter system to currency.
07/22/2013 01:42 PMPosted by Dralix

Well, my D3 characters are still not driving cars, and uses Bows, axes, swords, spears, and hammers to fight. If this could be a currency only game, I'd want 5.56 caliber guns equipped on my classes.

Trolled you back.
Ok, I'll grant you that barter has a place in the game. Perhaps they could create forums and chat channels where people can post their wares and what they are looking for in trade. Seems like that might work.
a barter system would be pretty cool.

Kind of like how dota2lounge.com is with dota2 item.
07/22/2013 01:42 PMPosted by Dralix

Yeah, it's so people like you could sit in the AH all day flipping items.
07/22/2013 02:00 PMPosted by Traveler
Yeah, it's so people like you could sit in the AH all day flipping items.

Heh!

You know, there's a solution to this, too:
1.) After buying an item from the AH, you are NOT allowed to sell that item for the next 7 days;
2.) When you are finally allowed to sell an item, you can only sell it for no more than 10% of the original cost deducted from it when you bought it. (What I mean is, if you bought an item for 9,250,000, you can only sell it for 8,325,000G MAX).

So items, per se, depreciates in the Auction House. It's your "trash" item anyway, why sell it for more? (Bwahahaha, bye bye flipping).
OP besides telling you again there's a reason currencies are used instead of bartering, let me ask you this:

How many people do you think will use AND benefit from this?

By benefit I mean they traded their item for an item that is of comparable worth (meaning neither person got screwed), and in a timely manner.

Because trade channels certainly aren't very popular. What makes you think this will be popular enough to warrant putting the time and effort to put it into the game
By benefit I mean they traded their item for an item that is of comparable worth (meaning neither person got screwed), and in a timely manner.

Because trade channels certainly aren't very popular. What makes you think this will be popular enough to warrant putting the time and effort to put it into the game

Sensible. But I am also not ruling an abolition of the current Auction House. I am just suggesting an addition of a trade-items section in the Auction House.
or what if trading was trading in d2.............................this would still not solve the zero interaction in d3
A barter auction house would be a huge step in the right direction.
Just another useless idea in a never ending string of them. The ah is not meant to be a barter tool. It would require a lot of effort to do this.

We have trade chat, the gah and the rmah. So you select trade item and then have to hold it in your stash for whatever time the auctions run or until you find a guy you may trade with. No to much baggage with this.
Have you ever tried trading items for items in this game?
Go head and try it via trade window, trading forums etc.

The experience will most likely be a terrible one and rife with trolls. Odds are extremely high that both parties will disagree on the value of items being requested for trade.

You'll probably see a ton of people trying to take advantage of noobs by offering their RS Amethysts as a direct trade for RS Emeralds (or the equivalent with items). It would probably increase the turn around time of trading gear tenfold as well. Good luck trading more than 1 item a week.

The odds of a player looking for your exact item and also having the exact item you need with the stats you demand seems poor even on a server wide service.
07/22/2013 07:36 PMPosted by Durabolin
or what if trading was trading in d2.............................this would still not solve the zero interaction in d3

There is a chatroom for trading already. Trading in D3 is very much like trading in D2 which is currently useless.
07/23/2013 03:52 AMPosted by DeadRu
Just another useless idea in a never ending string of them. The ah is not meant to be a barter tool. It would require a lot of effort to do this.

You're not a developer, so shut up and let the developers say something about this.