weapon question for the other meteor wizards

Wizard
mace/axe or sword/dagger?
im thinking heavy hitter is better?
Asp is not that important since we are limited by AP while using meteor so, in this light, a heavy hitter is the better but the more AP regen (CC, APOC, -AP on met .. ) u have the more asp u'll want ... : )
hmmm
ill be 50ish cc, 20apoc, and either 4 to 8 meteor reduction?
quite a conundrum, thx for the info tho gelador
Steel, after messing around with meteor, I pretty much hated how it played with 2.21 aps although it was the higher dps setup with 20 APoC (this was a black weapon/APOC Triumvirate/rare wiz hat thing). Went to 2.61/320k dps with Chantodo set and wiz hat for 29 APOC, and I think this was by far the best setup for me. I didn't change any skills, just gear (just wicked wind, liquefy, no EB or anything).
jen, what stats do you have on your rare hat?
07/20/2013 06:46 PMPosted by jenpeezey
Steel, after messing around with meteor, I pretty much hated how it played with 2.21 aps although it was the higher dps setup with 20 APoC (this was a black weapon/APOC Triumvirate/rare wiz hat thing). Went to 2.61/320k dps with Chantodo set and wiz hat for 29 APOC, and I think this was by far the best setup for me. I didn't change any skills, just gear (just wicked wind, liquefy, no EB or anything).

i certainly like 30 apoc, but i find that i need ls and i like meteor eb better than ww meteor
Well, honestly I don't see the point of using meteor if u don't have LS in ur setup, it's better to go with the regular SNS if u want a high asp build. :p So u have two choices for a LS / apoc weapon : black wand meaning low asp or chant's one but leading to lower dps since u lose a ton of CD ...

And yeah the more CD, the better of course. Besides, without 30 APOC, u'll have a hard time for a good met' flow if u don't use WW as an AP generator unless u skip the single targets situations, meaning champions most likely ... : )
*Bump* for other meteor wiz comments.
Personally I use a dagger w/LS cuz I'm cheap and it's too expensive to get mit/vit on ASP gear.
; D

8)xxx(;;;;;;;;;;;>
07/21/2013 01:25 AMPosted by Gelador
Well, honestly I don't see the point of using meteor if u don't have LS in ur setup, it's better to go with the regular SNS if u want a high asp build. :p
Not necessarily, it's just a different gearing philosophy. :) The people that don't tend to use Life Steal tend to also have Energy Twister still present in their builds, just like the old Shockquefy and Rockanadoes. I know Gcacnum, Ryoka, and I very effectively use just LoH on our gear. And technically everyone using a Meteor would tend to do better with regular SNS from a farming efficiency standpoint, but we all like Meteor. ;)

So actually, I believe there are two fundamentally different gearing philosophies behind Meteor. One involves high attack speed, which means the Meteor player is designing their build around CM, APoC, and LoH procs, just like SNS. They're just spamming Meteor instead of Wicked Wind, and occassionally supplementing with Wicked Wind, Mistral Breeze, or Living Lightning. The second build tends to have lower attack speed, and resort to Life Steal. These builds can easily pair a secondary skill like Wicked Wind, and usually resort to Living Lightning, Arcane Mines, or Ray of Frost. There's much less emphasis in these builds on procs, and so they tend to play more like Shaggalicious or Raining Meteor.

However, if spamming is your game, 30APoC is the sweet spot for pretty much all Meteor builds. But traditionally most wizzards have played with 20APoC, and thus they tend to spam Meteor much less frequently and rely on a secondary. One of the largest myths is that Meteor is more spammable at lower attack speeds (like 1.9aps). It's actually pretty similar to higher attack speeds. The benefit you get at 1.9aps vs 3aps in terms of intrinsic AP regen is like 2AP per Meteor cast!

And the only reason I bring up the slower attack speed is that high attack speed is not a detriment to a Meteor wizard's game. Really it's an active choice about whether you want to heavily rely on CM, or not. Ultimately being a Meteor wizard means we're making choices around: 2-3 sources of APoC, Life Steal vs LoH, the choice of Meteor rune, the choice of a secondary skill (or none at all), the choice of whether to include EB, and/or the inclusion of Meteor reduction.

I can tell you from my own experience, I can spam Liquefy or Meteor Shower with just LoH on a RD pack without much trouble. ^_^ And I'm not blind to the fact that I have relatively lower DPS, and the ability to rely on LoH exclusively at higher DPS (like 300k+) is harder. But I know LoH on gear still works according to my wizzie friends. Rather you pickup Blood Magic to compensate for a higher DPS setup, or you rely more on a secondary skill for RD (like Energy Twister).
Hmmm, Gelador, I play meteor with only Blood Magic and my LOH amulet. It's not a problem except for reflects damage, so that's when Diamond Skin comes in. If I have to hit it, I hit it.

Oh yes, re: aps and SNS, I could play it, but I haven't done so in a long time because I don't like spamming keys and killing my wrist.
Although I have basically no time testing for these builds, here's the tiny amount of info I can add. Someone on the forum had suggested a meteor only SNS style with prism instead of shards. I had great success running this setup, basically just subing in liquefy for WW and prism for shards. Overall it played just about as smoothly as my WW setup at 2.73 aps. I should mention I run 19 apoc and have a -5 meteor chan's force that I use for this. I also tried swapping in meteor where I usually run electrify, with good success across a couple runes. Meteor shower was my favorite for trash clearing, it's really hard to beat in fields and such. Liquefy and molten impact also worked out well. That setup had significant trouble keeping meteor sustained for very long on bosses and single targets, causing me to switch back to a standard WW SNS playstyle to survive. My profile should have my standard SNS setup for reference.
@zaska meteor vs of sns works great on packs, but the lockdown becomes terrible on champs/goblins
Malakai made a mod where he used rof-cb for single target instead of teleport and that seems to work really well so far
@zaska meteor vs of sns works great on packs, but the lockdown becomes terrible on champs/goblins
Malakai made a mod where he used rof-cb for single target instead of teleport and that seems to work really well so far

I saw that thread, I need to give that a shot. Also, the lockdown isn't really all that bad on champs and gobs. Gobs suck anyway but they hold like normal SNS for me with the prism setup. With the WW/meteor instead of electrify I usually don't use meteor on them until they're almost dead.
perhaps its ur added crit?
i run -8 meteor and prism and i cant hold singles that well

edit: oh ur still using ww, that would explain ur improved performance

I guess it must be. I figured it would matter, it's just more than I thought.

If I run prism I don't run WW. It's liquefy, SA, deep freeze, prism, EB and electrify. Same passives.

I guess it must be. I figured it would matter, it's just more than I thought.

If I run prism I don't run WW. It's liquefy, SA, deep freeze, prism, EB and electrify. Same passives.

oh then its gotta be the crit, hmm interesting
07/22/2013 10:34 AMPosted by Zaksa
Although I have basically no time testing for these builds, here's the tiny amount of info I can add. Someone on the forum had suggested a meteor only SNS style with prism instead of shards. I had great success running this setup, basically just subing in liquefy for WW and prism for shards. Overall it played just about as smoothly as my WW setup at 2.73 aps. I should mention I run 19 apoc and have a -5 meteor chan's force that I use for this. I also tried swapping in meteor where I usually run electrify, with good success across a couple runes. Meteor shower was my favorite for trash clearing, it's really hard to beat in fields and such. Liquefy and molten impact also worked out well. That setup had significant trouble keeping meteor sustained for very long on bosses and single targets, causing me to switch back to a standard WW SNS playstyle to survive. My profile should have my standard SNS setup for reference.
So Prism roughly functions as 1 source of APoC for two enemies (and is 2x better on singles). So Prism definitely comes in handy when you need it.

I am a little curious what you mean by "lockdown isn't really all that bad on champs and gobs" and "as smoothly as my WW setup at 2.73 aps." Having played Meteor with stats better than that, I didn't have near the success you're claiming. I've even gone all out with a build like this: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#PSYXhT!gXb!cbYZaZ . And this isn't to say you're not having that success, I'm just interested in hearing more about what you're doing. Tbh I don't think it's just the crit, since I've done upwards to 63%cc myself.

I usually lose steam on singles. My impression though is that you're killing fast enough that Deep Freeze never lapses and you're working of existing Meteor DoTs, then it's not really a problem. I call that the "wind down" phase of Meteor. And most of the time when I reach the point of "wind down" on a single with Meteor, singles tend to get rougher as I'm starting to miss Meteor casts (even with 63%cc, 30APoC, and 12 Meteor Reduction on gear).
Tekk:
I wish I had some numbers or vids or something to show you, it's just that I really don't put too much testing time in lately, lol. I have a feeling the potential dps difference and the time that the elite is left alive and solo are the biggest causes of our different findings. Add me, we can run some time. :)
Sounds great! I'll add you and we can have fun Meteor spamming and sharing notes! ^_^