How do you do it?

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 6 Next
Oh no! I said something that Diablo 2 players would disagree with!

Well, since diablo 2 players apparently are the elite bunch that want legendaries to rain just for playing an act a couple of times. I guess that explains why the legendary drop rates were raised to the point of making all legendaries cheap. I guess I must thank you, D2 players. You are such a smart bunch.

Dear OP, you can get angry for stating the truth. If you think that seeing legendaries drop all the time is ultra necessary for your fun, then you should leave this game. This game doesn't work like that. For starters, legendaries are as likely to be an upgrade as rares (super low). So complaining about legendary drop rate is a bit silly. Even if you got legendaries, they would usually be terrible thingies. You would come and say "but at least I'll be able to sell them in the AH!". Yeah, good luck with that, Your median legendary will sell for 10000 gold in the AH. If you want AH gold, you are much better of flipping dyes.

And I am serious, after a MF boost I see legendaries drop at least once per game session (1 hour-ish). They are always terrible things that would sell for very cheap. Or great things that don't sell at all. I am still having far more luck with 6 property rares both as upgrades for myself and for AH sales :/

When you say Diablo 2 players and include the theory that it was not only them that wanted to raise legendary drops but all of them, you only make yourself look retarded. By being politically incorrect because your ramblings are incoherent, childish and biased. You are the not the crown of the new movement, don't speak for "other" Diablo 2 players tard.
You guys don't seem to get it. I have enjoyed this game a far bit but this game is suppose to revolve around you getting loot after killing monsters and yet after you kill so many said monsters there is nothing but crap to pick up most of the time. I actually started playing again when they introduced the new crafting but shortly got bored afterwards.

I just can't really enjoy myself anymore as I'd like to but in D2 there was more initiative for me to come back. I know they're working on fixing things but taking a really long time when other games are receiving more consistent updates. I can see why people would be disappointed after coming back after a few months thinking maybe they have changed more things for the better but only to be let down.
I just can't really enjoy myself anymore as I'd like to but in D2 there was more initiative for me to come back. I know they're working on fixing things but taking a really long time when other games are receiving more consistent updates. I can see why people would be disappointed after coming back after a few months thinking maybe they have changed more things for the better but only to be let down.

-This is exactly what I'm saying. I want to enjoy the game and there are things that are done well in the game. One of the biggest things to attract players to this type of game is the loot. That is why people continued playing Diablo 2 long after they had completed the storyline.

-I come back every 3 months or so to see if the looting has changed any but have been disappointed time and time again. Basically I play for a few days, get bored of filling my inventory just to sell everything to the vendor 10 to 12 times, and then basically log off to take another three month break.

-I guess I don't understand how others go through the game with this type of odds and consider it fun.

-I remember the Meph runs in Diablo 2 and I remember wondering how they were so addicting and fun when they should be boring. That was the way Blizzard use to make all their games. In Diablo 3 it's the exact opposite. I wonder how this game is so boring when it should be great fun. I know having so many useless legendary items is a big part of it. I also know that having so many useless yellow drops is also a big part. I don't know which is better or worse but what I do know is that it's the loot distribution and the loot itself that is sinking this ship because the gameplay seems spot-on!

-
07/21/2013 05:14 PMPosted by vexorian
You measure your fun by the amount of legendaries you get. You will never have fun.

Precisely. Sometimes I find legendaries, sometimes I don't, I have fun regardless of the drops I get.
I just don't understand it. Is my account broken or is this actually how this game is to be played?

I go through act three four times and not one legendary. I don't know how anybody could play this game with these odds and consider this game fun.

Even when you do get a legendary it's almost always a joke.

Do I have bad luck, a broken account, or do people really play with these odds and consider it fun?

Of all the time I've played I think I've gotten 3 set items. Nothing worth mentioning.

I quit the game, take a break, then come back a few months later hoping somebody at Blizzard has either fixed my account or have realized this type of itemization just isn't fun.

Reminds me of that video of the dude who saved all his yellows for a month just to identify them and get nothing but trash. Freakin' joke!

Well see you in a few months....maybe...

maybe, if you spent as much time lvling as you did here in your rage post you could get a lvl or 2 and break plvl 40 and im sure that would help you find some legendaries (seriously)
try clearing fields of misery and all 3 halls of agony at mp5 in act 1
and what if anything would have dropped OP? :)
The game just spared you a lot of disappointment, i think you should be grateful :D
Your account is not broken, good drops are hard to come by unfortunatley. You're no doubt going to get a lot of hate from Blizzard fan boys who think the company can do no wrong..

Personally for me drops are one of the major factors that does keep the game remaining fun. I have gotten a fair share of good gear, certainly not as much as Id like though.

Too much good gear would completely ruin the game, but I think improving drops a bit more would be good for the game, and I dont think people will complain about that...
Here is some actual helpful advice.

Try playing with a full party. The drop rates solo seem to be much lower, at least to me. The higher the MP, the more you get I have noticed. I usually get few to none on MP8 but I get a lot on MP10.

Notice this too, when I solo its usually mp8 or 9 and the drops are really few. In parties of 4 and mp10 the drops are much more.
I just don't understand it. Is my account broken or is this actually how this game is to be played?

I go through act three four times and not one legendary. I don't know how anybody could play this game with these odds and consider this game fun.

Even when you do get a legendary it's almost always a joke.

Do I have bad luck, a broken account, or do people really play with these odds and consider it fun?

Of all the time I've played I think I've gotten 3 set items. Nothing worth mentioning.

I quit the game, take a break, then come back a few months later hoping somebody at Blizzard has either fixed my account or have realized this type of itemization just isn't fun.

Reminds me of that video of the dude who saved all his yellows for a month just to identify them and get nothing but trash. Freakin' joke!

Well see you in a few months....maybe...

It's working as intended.

Consider, if you are at max MF doing a high MP you have something like 600% MF and double drops from all normal enemies. If you're at low MF doing low MPs you have perhaps 100% MF and double drops only a few percent of the time.

This is literally an order of magnitude fewer drops, if not less than that.

Then you consider:

Almost all non legendaries are worthless to the point of not even being worth picking up.
Almost all legendaries are auto brims.
Almost all legendaries that are not auto brims are better off UNIDed because they're like Crowns of Ages.

And then you consider the guys with a 10 times better drop rate still hardly ever get good drops. Demotivating, isn't it? And that's why almost everyone goes pay to win or just leaves before even getting to that point as the game isn't rewarding at all.
"I don't know how to play this game so it must suck."

"I don't want to feel left out so give me free stuff."

"The game isn't fun for me so you shouldn't like it either."

"I play 12 hours a day and there isn't enough content."

"I like some other game better so nobody should play this."

"I payed for this game before I knew I wouldn't like it."

Did I miss anything OP?
i dont like the way the legs drops i know they are suppose to be legendaries = good stuff but basicly i play mp 9-10 have around 500-530 mf and i get 3 legs per run MAX but even i i find legs they all suck i have no idea why maybe its (random) but im having no freaking luck on affix and prefix

-I remember the Meph runs in Diablo 2 and I remember wondering how they were so addicting and fun when they should be boring. That was the way Blizzard use to make all their games. In Diablo 3 it's the exact opposite. I wonder how this game is so boring when it should be great fun. I know having so many useless legendary items is a big part of it. I also know that having so many useless yellow drops is also a big part. I don't know which is better or worse but what I do know is that it's the loot distribution and the loot itself that is sinking this ship because the gameplay seems spot-on!
-

Here's the thing though. In D2, you ALSO had so many useless legendaries (ones that were nightmare or normal base item level). In D2, true epic legendaries/items were probably as rare as they are in D3. I'm not saying D2 is the same as D3, though, as there really are differences. The question is, why is it different? My guess is that it has to do with how loot worked in D2 vs D3.

In D2, the RNG wasn't on the legendaries themselves (every legendary was almost identical, with no random affixes), but on the loot table. So when you saw a legendary, but on a nightmare-level base item, you were sooo close but didn't get it, which is the carrot dangling in your face. If only this item rolled legendary, or this legendary was a hell-item base, then you hit the jackpot. It was a very binary, and simple, system to understand.

In D3, the waters are more muddled. Getting a legendary is only a fourth of the battle. It also has to roll good affixes. Similarly, rares are viable jackpots, so you have to pick them all up and, in 99.99% of the cases, be let down again. The game is set up to be continually let down when you ID every item and it is disappointing.

Not saying we should go back to the D2 system (that had its own issues), but my point is that I believe the issue between D2 and D3 is more subtle than people realize. It's not that there are far fewer items of value in D3 vs D2, it's that there are far more items that COULD be valuable in D3 but aren't, meaning you are continually disappointed.
I dont know hopw many ppl have noticed this, but i tend to get a surge in drops after changing Mp lvl.. It could just be that reloading a game change dssomehting.. I also dont just run the same few maps over n over n over again.. I tend to play through and keep my NV5.. I am the guy in my group of friends with the worst luck as well.. Last 3 nights in a row for instance, i got 1 leg from hours of play, where my buddies got 5-8 each.. 2 of them built 2 full hellfire rings, and i got 1 spine.. I used all 4 of my machines and they, theirs...

Other times, ill get several in th 1st few hours of play..Kinda makes me think ITS ALL RANDOM!!!!!
I also am glad when they just drop for me... Dont think ive had 1 usable one yet, except Goldskin..But because i so rarely get one, am glad just to see one :)
Many people including me keep complain about there are no legendaries dropped.
But when they dropped, I found even more upset because they are almost crappy or trash.

Haizzzzzzzzz!
That is the reason for AH or RMAH!
Another sad story!
I have found one true godly gold item out of all my drops. I killed a lot of dudes and ided a lot of greens golds to many rares. It sold for 1.7 bill was a ik arm. 195 str 295 vit 800 deff. What I am trying to say is, this game is not a instant win on the super rare nice items part. I might never find a item that good again. Then again I could find 10 more in the next year. You just don't know, so I keep on keeping on. I found that ik no more than 3 months ago at best. I had a super reg everyday account until then. I sold it then went shopping and have been upping diff items everyday since. My account is okay now noth great but I can switch diff toons out when I like. When I up a item it goes back on the ah for more than I bought it for as a rule. If your not greedy and leave room for the next cat it will sell if its nice. So use the ah to keep upping your items is another way to get those super rare nice items as well.
The reason you're not having fun is likely because you have no idea what you're doing in terms of build/survivability of your WD. Let me guess, you die a ton because of the low res, low HP/Vit and having zero LS or LOH which makes any run very tedious even on low MP and “not fun”? The key to finding more items is to kill more enemies at a faster pace.

First you need to reallocate your passives to give yourself more survivability (go and watch any COB WD build video on youtube). Second, you need to get a weapon with life steal. With no life regeneration you can’t possibly be efficiently running through any MP even with 100K+ buffed damage. Swap your INT gems for VIT gems as well and throw a Ruby in that helm - higher paragon = more MF. More MF = better quality drops, but remember MF does not affect the quality of the rolls. Finding one legendary item over the course of four full area clears at low MP with very low MF isn’t really that unheard of, but you can definitely make it better easily.

So to summarize, the best thing that you can do is to learn more about your class, increase survivability (you will lose DPS, but with COB it doesn’t matter) and increase your MF. You can also put MF gear on your follower or play in pub games to increase MF and EXP. Finding that few number of legendary items is understandably frustrating, but it’s entirely your own fault. Also, don’t run Act 3. Act 1 and 2 are way better now since the last patch. Just get 5 stacks of valor in the Festering woods really quickly on MP 2 or 3 and run the fields of misery and the weeping hollows over and over and you WILL find new and exciting loot. Good luck!!
I guess you do have bad luck cuz your scrub toon should be finding upgrades left and right. When you're at my gear level you don't find anything tradeable to get you an upgraded, but at your gear level it should be easy.
Everyone quits. The Blizztards just made sure we quit with crappy gear.