Edited: The way I play Self Found.

General Discussion
Excellent post OP. Doing it the right way. good luck on the phat lootz drops :)

Thanks Wolf.

Good luck and have fun. Please put a link to your character on your original post.

Now if you did have a separate mode of play, you could also play with others that you knew were guaranteed to also be Self-found.

You gave yourself some extra challenges and I respect that because I do the same with my Hardcore character "BueNC"

I think I will re-edit the original first post, since it seems to have a small following... But yes, I will include a link to the EU profile.

Currently playing with others that are or not self found doesn't bother me. What I plan to do, is to be sure not to play above my character's ability. Too often, (I see this all the time) players join higher MP games in the hopes that other players can help them beat hordes of monsters. This is not my typical play style, and I will not be a burden to other players. Many of you playing the same sort of way can relate to this.

Yes, I like challenging myself. While this is my first "true" self found, I will will be making it harder to play with other challenges, such as only blue level gear or only yellow level gear, or *gasp white or grey only gear. Talk about punishment.

"Cannot buy gear or health potions from in-game vendors"

One question-why? This is a completely stupid idea and you will have no chance to defeat the bosses later in the game when it becomes mandatory to buy health potions. I know because I am all about self found.
Apart from that ludicrous idea, have fun with it, it's a real challenge!

Excellent question!

Several reasons though.....

Part of me wants to be truly self found. That means I don't rely on the vendors for anything, other than to give me gold for the stuff I don't want. Currently I'm scrapping everything, and selling only white or grey items. Sad really. But I still have almost 200k in gold. I haven't even bought the entire first stash page. I only added one row as I had finally filled the first row with salvage, gems, a leg first weapon and the blade of Rakinishu.

As for potions. I found that honestly I don't need to buy any at all. I have been using up the lesser potions first as I progress, collecting higher level potions as they drop and hording them on my character. As the lesser ones get used up, I start using the next higher one. Now if I'm going to hit a boss, I will for that encounter load up the highest level ones I have collected, but switch them back afterwards. I currently have over 50 each of the last highest two levels of potions. So yeah, I really don't need to buy any anyway.

It is funny about dyes though. I don't buy any, but I didn't realize that crafting can randomly give you items that come already dyed. I never knew that, till I was playing self found.

08/13/2013 04:17 PMPosted by locust777
And it's the way the game should be played I think

The game can be played any way you want to play it. And the beauty is, you can play it many different ways. There is really no right or wrong way, if you aren't using cheats such as hacks, bots, or schemes. Whether you pick it all up, or buy it all off the AH, its still a play style, and neither are really wrong.

08/13/2013 05:57 PMPosted by Wolfcat
This is a completely stupid idea and you will have no chance to defeat the bosses later in the game when it becomes mandatory to buy health potions. I know because I am all about self found.

Pretty sure someone, somewhere, has beaten a boss without using a health potion :)

LOL

Yep. *raises hand
I have now officially edited the first post.

Thanks for reading, see you in the trenches.
[

The game can be played any way you want to play it. And the beauty is, you can play it many different ways. There is really no right or wrong way, if you aren't using cheats such as hacks, bots, or schemes. Whether you pick it all up, or buy it all off the AH, its still a play style, and neither are really wrong.

All true. However I believe that much of the !@#$%ing about the game could be solved if people had played it this way in the first place. I'm certainly glad I never looked at the AH! I'm loving the game and can't wait to play every chance I get.

I'm surprised you haven't needed to buy health potions, but have you reached inferno yet? I'll be VERY surprised then....

So let's say for argument's sake you get all the way up to diablo on inferno and you die several times until you are all out of potions. What is your plan then?? Go back to the beginning in the hope you will find enough potions? :/

All true. However I believe that much of the !@#$%ing about the game could be solved if people had played it this way in the first place. I'm certainly glad I never looked at the AH! I'm loving the game and can't wait to play every chance I get.

I'm surprised you haven't needed to buy health potions, but have you reached inferno yet? I'll be VERY surprised then....

So let's say for argument's sake you get all the way up to diablo on inferno and you die several times until you are all out of potions. What is your plan then?? Go back to the beginning in the hope you will find enough potions? :/

Naw. I'm pretty sure potion wise I will be fine. You know, I have never bought a potion in the game since I bought it. Solid truth, unless there was an achievement for it. Even now, I have tons of potions for my 60 level characters, all picked up, not bought. Even my hardcores, I have never bought potions. But you want to hear something funny? I keep swapping around the stash of hard core potion, from character to character as I level them evenly. But I keep forgetting to put the potion back on the character next time I play, so typically they literally only have whatever potions I happened to pick up during the next run! LOL And I still never use more than a couple during a typical run.

So no, I have no worries about potions really. But will let you know if I do later on.
08/13/2013 06:37 PMPosted by DTMAce
Thanks Wolf.

No, Thank You man.
Before I read your post, I was scrambling to say how I thought self found should be played, you know the spirit of it, not down to the tiniest detail, but never having played self found in this particular game, I was reaching for the right context. Then I read your post, and was like "wow, this guy gets it". I mean it really is nice to see someone do something with such sportsmanship. There is also a guy who started the HC SF league that seems pretty classy too. As for me, when I first started gaming on a commadore 64, I'm pretty sure there was no Bard's Tail Mart.com (and that's the original Bard's tail, not the remake lol) the point being, there was no choice but self found lol. Keep up the good work! Good gaming to ya!
Congrats OP I play the same on the US server which is self found with the same rules as you while on the EU Server I play as I see fit

No, Thank You man.
Before I read your post, I was scrambling to say how I thought self found should be played, you know the spirit of it, not down to the tiniest detail, but never having played self found in this particular game, I was reaching for the right context. Then I read your post, and was like "wow, this guy gets it". I mean it really is nice to see someone do something with such sportsmanship. There is also a guy who started the HC SF league that seems pretty classy too. As for me, when I first started gaming on a commadore 64, I'm pretty sure there was no Bard's Tail Mart.com (and that's the original Bard's tail, not the remake lol) the point being, there was no choice but self found lol. Keep up the good work! Good gaming to ya!

Well, what are you waiting for? Get on the Europe realm and add me. Start up a self found yourself, create your own rules and go!

08/14/2013 12:59 AMPosted by Shaggy
Congrats OP I play the same on the US server which is self found with the same rules as you while on the EU Server I play as I see fit

LOL Awesome.

@DTMace: That's awesome! And you are doing basically 1K DPS, which is awesome!

You might want to spend some time on the WD forums to help refine a skill set. "Selffound" and "Dork" seem to be all over the place skill-wise.

But it's awesome (using that word a lot...) that you have only the one character, and so obviously self-found, but you have been diligent and lucky enough to put together a respectable gear set that is working!

Nice job...I admire your principles and conviction.

StoneOld

You know, funny thing about the WD, especially Dork on the US Realm.

He was the last one to level to 60/inferno. I will admit it, I had both him and the monk power leveled. I had gear waiting that I had acquired, and yes, I was being lazy. But that didn't help me really, as I still am weak when it comes to figuring out a WD skill set choices. But I have to say this. Dork can wipe up a map, but I can't keep him from dropping due to elemental damage. The one area he is weakest on right now is AR and life support, but depending on how I cast the skills, I can keep mana up indefinitely, which makes casting cloud of bats immensely powerful. lol

As for SelfFound, well, his current skill selection is what I used to get past Diablo on Normal at MP10. I have yet to readjust them back to where I was using them for mobs. But yeah, I have had a fair amount of luck with gearing so far, but I know a wall is coming.
posted by DTMAce - Well, what are you waiting for? Get on the Europe realm and add me. Start up a self found yourself, create your own rules and go!

Dang, I just sent you a friends request today but I forgot you were EU :(

OK, here's the plan, every time you kill a demon or I kill a demon we will dig further down two holes. One we will use for a demon grave, the other we can use to meet in the center of the earth and decide where we go from there :) Until we meet, Good Hunting Brother
08/15/2013 09:58 AMPosted by Wolfcat
posted by DTMAce - Well, what are you waiting for? Get on the Europe realm and add me. Start up a self found yourself, create your own rules and go!

Dang, I just sent you a friends request today but I forgot you were EU :(

OK, here's the plan, every time you kill a demon or I kill a demon we will dig further down two holes. One we will use for a demon grave, the other we can use to meet in the center of the earth and decide where we go from there :) Until we meet, Good Hunting Brother

Er, ok. lol

I didn't realized you had replied, but you need to add me to your Europe realm. =P
08/13/2013 06:10 PMPosted by DuckOfDeath
Uh I am playing self found and I have yet to run out of health potions let alone felt the need to buy any.

Ya in HC you almost never use health potions, so maybe the MP is the issue for the other guy. The SF issue rages on, and I see one or two other people have decided to switch servers. How does one switch servers? Maybe not knowing that is an issue to keep people from exercising this option.