Blizzard, is self-found on the way?

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 26 Next
I think the people participating in this debate generally come from three different camps:

1) The gold sellers / RMAH users, who actually have something to lose from self-found. They know self-found would be better for the game, but they will still flame every thread that brings up the subject.

2) Normal players, like me, who do want self-found. Or, I should say, just the removal of the RMAH. I don't really care which form that takes. Give us a mode, or remove the RMAH, or simply tag my character. Remove the pay2win support from Diablo. That's probably how many of us feel.

3) People who are sort of neutral, but still defend the RMAH by saying it doesn't impact the game unless you let it. I'd argue this is like saying the Protestant / Catholic conflict on Northern Ireland doesn't have to affect you unless you let it. Absurd, obviously, because it will impact the community around you whether you actively take part or not. This camp needs to realise that if the Diablo 3 community considers the RMAH items to be the best items in the game, then that's what they are. Everything you ever find as self-found, however big an improvement it might be for your character, will still be junk. Crap. Bollocks.

Again, self-found, or 'AH free mode' if you will, is not for prestige. It's not meant to make anyone feel better than others, or like a special snowflake. If you seriously believe that, then you are not only clueless when it comes to game design, but also completely clueless on Diablo and what the game is all about.

What it IS about, though, is putting the sense of accomplishment back in the game. Spending countless hours in the same loot slot machine is only interesting if you feel like you have a shot at winning it. Sure, in theory you could win the jackpot. But as long as the RMAH exists, all you ever find will feel obsolete and bad. Like grinding for the previous expansions' loot in WoW.

People who work hard and grind a lot need to feel like they are at the endgame, in the competitive race towards the most badass character. This can never, I repeat NEVER, happen if people can buy the best gear.

LOL. What a self-righteous POS post. Congrats. You win the dbag post of the day.

If all you can do is insult me, you have automatically lost the debate.

Prove what I say is wrong, and I'll listen.
So what's the status, Blizzard?

I realise you can't talk much ahead of the expansion announcement, but at least some indicator that you still like the idea of self-found would be nice.

I can say that we do still like the idea of implementing a self-found mode (or something like it) sometime in the future. Wyatt recently talked a little bit about it in an interview with Flux over at diablo.incgamers.com, and said that it's still something he thinks is very cool, but recognizes it would need to be separated from other game modes.

Well my logic isn't flawed because I defined my version of self found as being basically a no AH mode. Others define it the way you did, neither is wrong just different perspectives.

No offense was meant. Just that logically, self found means just that. You found it yourself. If someone else finds it, is it self found? lol Of course not.

Since its a No AH mode you want, it really isn't a self found play style anymore. That's all. But yes, you can play it anyway you want. Just don't want the wrong impression on what self found is mostly based on, that's all. =P

I can say that we do still like the idea of implementing a self-found mode (or something like it) sometime in the future. Wyatt recently talked a little bit about it in an interview with Flux over at diablo.incgamers.com, and said that it's still something he thinks is very cool, but recognizes it would need to be separated from other game modes.

And in other news, the devs still don't understand Diablo.

Pretty much this.

I realise you can't talk much ahead of the expansion announcement, but at least some indicator that you still like the idea of self-found would be nice.

While this is pretty much what I knew already, I appreciate that you took the time to respond to me. +1, Blizz.

Can you possibly say whether we should expect some news on this soon (like at Gamescom or Blizzcon)?
08/07/2013 09:42 AMPosted by whoopadeedoo
Cater to the casuals and newbies and people who don't even have characters associated with their accounts. That is definitely a winning long-term strategy for a game like Diablo. I'm like 14.6% sure of it.

If you're referring to me, I do have a character. I play EU, but for some reason I can only post on the US forums. Now that I'm used to this forum though, I don't want to change.
Cater to the casuals and newbies and people who don't even have characters associated with their accounts. That is definitely a winning long-term strategy for a game like Diablo. I'm like 14.6% sure of it.

Do you have anything constructive to add or are you just bored?

Do you have anything constructive to add or are you just bored?

I am constructive. I think the devs are making some horrible decisions and they should stop. I'm pretty sure most players agree with me.

I'm pretty sure your line of thinking is why most players have long since abandoned Diablo 3. The devs are doing precisely what they should be doing.

This game is definitely moving in the right direction. It has been all year. The only downside is that it's taking so long.

The expansion features could make or break this game for the future.

What we need (apart from obvious fixes to core systems) is more diversity in content, and the ability to stand out on the server for your own commitment to the game, not for how much you're ready to pay or cheat.
So what's the status, Blizzard?I realise you can't talk much ahead of the expansion announcement, but at least some indicator that you still like the idea of self-found would be nice.I can say that we do still like the idea of implementing a self-found mode (or something like it) sometime in the future

08/07/2013 09:36 AMPosted by Grimiku
recognizes it would need to be separated from other game modes.

It's quite simple really self found mode = offline mode.
08/07/2013 09:57 AMPosted by TimAGriffith
So what's the status, Blizzard?I realise you can't talk much ahead of the expansion announcement, but at least some indicator that you still like the idea of self-found would be nice.I can say that we do still like the idea of implementing a self-found mode (or something like it) sometime in the future

08/07/2013 09:36 AMPosted by Grimiku
recognizes it would need to be separated from other game modes.

It's quite simple really self found mode = offline mode.

While offline mode is awesome, it's not at all the same as self-found. Self-found is about bringing back the competitive loot hunting spirit to Diablo. To reduce the importance of the RMAH, and increase your sense of reward and accomplishment for grinding long hours.
These threads please die. Trading is the essence of a Diablo game.

I would play self found HC for sure! finally no one buying power ever again :D

Woot!

Optional, dude. Relax :)