Ultra Budget CM/WW Guide [WEEKLY GIVE AWAYS]

Wizard
Prev 1 2 3 12 Next
@syync

I don't remember to be honest. I only remember Zuni chest and full defensive skills, with 1200+ LoH, and I think it was over 2.73 APS.

I'll try again here in a second.
I like the budget build idea, nice write up.

my 2cents:

have a look at dolynick's thread on differing set/bp's/and cc amounts
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9627812708
It might actually be worth dropping to the 2.31bp for a budget build such as this so you can spend money potentially on adding more dps so you can havea smoother run of things.

i dunno just a thought.
Well I built it and it was less than 1.5m

I did have a few thing laying around that I borrowed from my other builds.

The nats ring was a bit pricey so stole one from my backup monk and had crafted shoulders and the Wh already.

made 2.54 att speed and still have a few items I am bidding on.
Now just need to get the skill set down and where to place them and proper usage as well.

Will be a work in progress but it seems fun to run and piqued my interest enough to try to learn more about it.

Thanks for all the info again
Amos
You need a lot higher CC to achieve comparable freeze uptime with only 2.31APS. Pretty sure dolynick's testing was with his GG gear... I haven't tested this theory at all, but in terms of budget, I think you'll be pushing it.

Also, looks like the lower the APS gets, the worse it is for single target. For team games this is no problems for for single player, 5+ targets isn't always possible.. ie any champion pack, so you lose a lot more from not reaching those higher break points.

I haven't checked the prices of max CC on those items yet so not sure if it's even within budget. I'll check it out tomorrow... heaps tired now :(
Hi,
What do all those abbreviations mean in the original Post?

Mind explaining them? thanks :)
LadyJessika - refer to Piehole's SNS guide for detailed explanation of everything:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8728753771

It's long, but you can just ctrl+F for the specific term you want to look up.

Specifically:
CM - Critical Mass
WW - Wicked Wind
LadyJessika
MP = Monster Power

DPS = Damage Per Second
IAS = Increased Attack Speed
CC = Critical Hit Chance
CD = Critical Hit Damage
APS = Attacks Per Second

APoC = Arcane Power on Crit
LoH = Life on Hit
AR = All Resistence
Int = Intelligence
Vit = Vitality
Str = Strength

CM = Critical Mass
WW = Wicked Wind

I think they're the only ones I used. Others that I used through out the thread..

OS = Open Socket
EHP = Effective Health Points
FN = Frost Nova

As Arctia suggested, PieHole's thread has everything you need to know and although it's heaps to read, I recommend you do if you intend to stick to the build.
DrDuMa - i understand where your coming from really i do, but latelly i have been around those low ias and low cc points for some testing and it's really not as bad as it sounds thats why i thought it might be worth having a look at.

You should be able to get to at least 35cc and with deep freeze that will take you up. also something like a soj with ww cc and a sloraks with some cc will bring you in for a good freeze. I reckon cc trumps ias for a low teir build on the cheap. Alot of the items for your build are essentially crapper versions of BiS items later on. WH i also think is a little more end game, but you can pick up a tals belt for cheap and get another 1cc... doesnt' sound like much with it helps like you wouldn't believe for cm.

Just thought i'd throw in some other ideas, i havn't really checked the prices but that used to be my budget builds and the items were never all that popular so you should be able to find them cheaply now as well - of course i could be wrong lol.
im going to give this a try man ty im glad some peopel take the time to do low budget builds it really helps because i dont play a whole lot to get 100+million hell even 10m
Amos
I'll regear tonight for 2.31 and see how it goes. I did do a brief check and found some nice rings/amulets with max CC that could either be mitigation or damage so it's definitely worth testing out.

I've never used a 2.31 build and with tests showing single target freeze about 10% worse, I just never considered it. Getting ET CC gear would be interesting though. Just gotta see what the balance is like with damage, mitigation and freeze ability.

doobie22
Thanks, mate. Being informed is better than having GG gear IMO. Let me know if you need any help.
Hey thanks a lot for this. I had never played CM/WW so I figured this would be a good way to give it a try and I was surprised at how it went. I had stashed a Chant set from drops just for trying it out someday and it was fun to dig it out and finally give it a try.

I kept a lot of my Archon gear because it wasn't terrible for it, but I also couldn't get over 2.49APS. I was able to do MP3 without difficulty, but then I suspect my EHP is high (about 275k) thanks to the existing pieces. I also wasn't able to find a decent amulet to replace my Tal ammy which just isn't right for this though.

You guys must have bought up all the Nats set - no rings on less than 750k or boots for less than 250k. That's limited my IAS, for now.
Crooth
You get a guaranteed 8-9 IAS, 7 CC, 70+ AR, 200+ Armor and 12% MS.. such a strong combination with Nat's ring and boots that its hard to pass up (not just for CM/WW) for budget builds. To be honest, I'm surprised that I was purchasing them for 100k a piece.

Prices will eventually drop that low again so you don't need to shell out 750k for it now.

Since you're so close, you should at least get to 2.5 APS but I don't see any reason outside of Nat's set that should hi see you getting to 2.73. Rares are just so cheap.. just make sure your Chantodo's wand is at least 1.64 APS. Gives a little but of leniency for IAS gearing.
Amos
Still looking for gear for 2.31 but as Crooth said, Nat's set pieces at 100k.. hell, even 200k has completely disappeared.. people must be snapping them up real fast.

Anyway, looking at the gear available, a Slorak's with ET CC and Trium/Occulus/Tal's souce with APoC might be possible (haven't checked if breakpoints make 2.31 yet) but not sure if it'll give more DPS than a higher DPS IAS sword/wand. Chanto's set is still the easiest choices but other sources cost a lot less for better DPS.

I'll have to keep searching or waiting for those cheaper Nat pieces.

Have you tried sourcing pieces to build 2.31 yourself?
Thank you very much for this thread.

I've returned to D3 after a 3-4 month absence, and I've been beating my head against a wall trying to find a build that I can do, since a frost/ice wizard is not viable going into inferno; and a lightning/shock wizard even less so.

The gear I got for my wizard (before I left) did a hair less than 50K DPS (buffed), had around 60k health, and all resistances well over 800, but since I couldn't find a good build for her, I transferred all her gear to my WD, but I'm running into a similar problem. I can do inferno act 1 at mp0, but anything beyond that is no go (unless I want to spend a half day kiting a mob).

Every build needs gear that is going to run into the hundreds of millions, if not billions. Although I play most of the day, every day, looking for gear in mp0 just doesn't do it (with a little over 100% MF).

So, I was glad to see you budget gear thread since I can spend about 5 million max.

I have a question. Looking at Chantodo's Will, I searched with "has socket," and got 46 pages of wands, all with sockets but none with IAS. I then changed the search block to "Attack Speed %," and got 15 pages, none with sockets. After doing some digging, it seems there's only one choice. Either you get a wand with a socket, or with IAS.

Also, I noticed that wand always has an increased attack speed between 0.21 and 0.25. Was that taken into consideration when setting the breakpoints? If I have a choice, should I select a wand closer to 0.25 or to 0.21? Is this added to your AS when you look at attack speed in the "details" section? Does this mean I can look for a wand with less than 1000 DPS, or doesn't it make that much of a difference?

I presume IAS % is more important than the socket?

I'm hoping things get cheaper as we get closer to the release of loot 2.0/itemization patch, after just a short search the cheapest wand I found was 800K, but I'll keep at it now that I have a goal.

Thanks again for your help.
08/29/2013 12:57 PMPosted by SixSixSix
Every build needs gear that is going to run into the hundreds of millions, if not billions. Although I play most of the day, every day, looking for gear in mp0 just doesn't do it (with a little over 100% MF).

It may seem that way, if only because most of the people on the forums have been playing for forever and are therefore very rich. Both Archon and CM can be run at very low budgets. You definitely don't need hundreds of millions.

Also, I noticed that wand always has an increased attack speed between 0.21 and 0.25. Was that taken into consideration when setting the breakpoints? If I have a choice, should I select a wand closer to 0.25 or to 0.21? Is this added to your AS when you look at attack speed in the "details" section? Does this mean I can look for a wand with less than 1000 DPS, or doesn't it make that much of a difference?

The +APS bonus it's the main reason Chantodo's is the best choice for CM wizards, at almost any budget, so yes, it's taken into account. Higher +APS is better. Very generally speaking, for every 0.01 extra +APS, you can drop 1% IAS. This doesn't seem like a big deal, but it can be the difference between needing 7 or 8 pieces of ASI for a breakpoint. Yes, it's included on the character screen, D3 does not have an LCS. More DPS is always better, but at this kind of budget, first make sure you get the build running. Worry about DPS later.

Currently, the cheapest 10 IAS Chantodo's Will on the EU auction house is 2.3m, while the cheapest one with a socket is 200k. I imagine it's similar for the US, so socket might actually be better at very low budgets. I don't know for sure though, so don't take my word for it.
Thank you very much for this thread.

I've returned to D3 after a 3-4 month absence, and I've been beating my head against a wall trying to find a build that I can do, since a frost/ice wizard is not viable going into inferno; and a lightning/shock wizard even less so.

The gear I got for my wizard (before I left) did a hair less than 50K DPS (buffed), had around 60k health, and all resistances well over 800, but since I couldn't find a good build for her, I transferred all her gear to my WD, but I'm running into a similar problem. I can do inferno act 1 at mp0, but anything beyond that is no go (unless I want to spend a half day kiting a mob).

So, I was glad to see you budget gear thread since I can spend about 5 million max.

Thanks, mate. It was pretty fun jumping in and out of AH to check prices and helping some people gear up.

As mzy said, if you check profiles of most people on the forums who post a lot, they'll probably have pretty decent gear that they amassed over months and months of play. In the end, it comes down to knowledge of the game and what you need for your own build. You can easily pick up about 1~2m playing through from Normal to Inferno so this guide is aimed at those players.

The problem is, at lower budgets, this gear set works up til MP6, maybe higher if you are experienced with the build. To be effective from then on, the gears required get exponentially more expensive.

I have a question. Looking at Chantodo's Will, I searched with "has socket," and got 46 pages of wands, all with sockets but none with IAS. I then changed the search block to "Attack Speed %," and got 15 pages, none with sockets. After doing some digging, it seems there's only one choice. Either you get a wand with a socket, or with IAS.

Chantodo's Will only has one random roll so you choose either OS or IAS. The base attack speed rolls between 1.61 APS and 1.65 APS. I recommended at least 1.64 if you are going OS (or possibly a high CD roll if you can't afford an OS). If you go IAS, the sheet damage will be higher and the APS will be between 1.75 APS and 1.79 APS. It basically saves you from one IAS piece elsewhere.

I'm hoping things get cheaper as we get closer to the release of loot 2.0/itemization patch, after just a short search the cheapest wand I found was 800K, but I'll keep at it now that I have a goal.

Thanks again for your help.

mzy already explained, the more the better. As long as you can hit those APS breakpoints, it doesn't matter what those numbers are. 2.51 APS is the minimum and 2.73 APS is the optimal for beginners. Just aim for those numbers. If you want a more detailed explanation, check out PieHole's guide I linked in the OP.

Having said all of this, after weeks of dawdling around, I finally took Amos' advice and tried out a 2.31 APS build and it works fine with Slorak's Madness with Energy Twister CC. I'll upload a video and give away to someone who desperately needs it. I might also make a 2.51 APS and 2.73 APS set for giveaway down the track too.. all under 1.5m of course.

The 2.31 set costed me just under 1.26m thanks to a few nice auctions. Has pretty low life, but mitigation is pretty good that it can stand in arcane beams and plague if you have twisters correctly placed on monsters and DSing.
I'm about to go through the same exercise for my Hardcore wiz. Sadly the prices are somewhat different, especially since most HC chars that just levelled up don't have that much gold.
If you're going HC, I would suggest that you ignore Int on gear and go with Vit/Armor/AR instead. Some of those items come default with Int like Chanto's wand, OH (including the 130 Int bonus), Tal's chest, Storm Crow, BT pants, and Witching Hour. That's already pretty good base Int to start off with.

EHP/mit is what you want, so as long you hit your break points, you can skip Int on the items like shoulders and bracers and go full Vit/Armor/AR (CC for bracers).

88% seems to be what you want for mitigation for SC... I imagine that number would be at least 90~92% for HC.
MP4~6 depending on how good your mitigation is.

The DPS won't be awesome.

Actually, just an edit.. you can find OS Chantodo's wands (sub 1k DPS) for about 100k. There are a couple on there right now 920k DPS at 1.65 APS that'll be better than a 1k DPS without any CD.

I farm MP10 without problems at a 700m budget, but I wasnt trying to be cheap.
MP4~6 depending on how good your mitigation is.

The DPS won't be awesome.

Actually, just an edit.. you can find OS Chantodo's wands (sub 1k DPS) for about 100k. There are a couple on there right now 920k DPS at 1.65 APS that'll be better than a 1k DPS without any CD.

I farm MP10 without problems at a 700m budget, but I wasnt trying to be cheap.

700m budget is about 698.5m more gold than 1.5m.

This is a guide for people who barely have 2m.