Must the Follower be alive for 20% MF,GF,XP?

Witch Doctor
Equipping items with bonus to % magic find, gold find, and XP (i.e. leorics signet and hellfire) contribute to your character's corresponding stats, albeit at an 80% reduction (i.e. you only get 20% of the net MF/GF/XP of your follower.

My question is: Does the Follower have to be alive in order for these bonuses to apply?
Or, does the 20% MF, GF, XP persist regardless of the livelihood of the follower, so long as she is hired?
^ And my follow-up question to you is.... is it worth it to dedicate the follower to be a pure magic find/XP buff, forsaking additional functional utility?

I decked my Templar out with stacked +%MF and +%XP gear:
Sunkeeper (+45% MF)
Ivory Tower (+20% MF)
Mara's ammy (+44% MF)
Leoric's Signet (+30% XP)
Hellfire ring (+35% XP)

Here is my character profile:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Castablanca-1545/hero/35072249
As you can see, the templar boosts my MF by 22%. 45+20+44=109 X 0.2 = 21.8 round up to 22.
The XP bonus is quite nice at +13%XP. 30+35=65 X 0.2= 13%.

Do you guys think this MF/XP buff is worth not using a buriza scoundrel in single player?
I'm pretty sure you get the benefit of their items even if they are dead (xp bonus, magic find, gold find.) You do not get their skill bonuses, though, so if you get, say 3% crit from your scoundrel, when they are dead, you won't get it.

I pretty much only use the scoundrel as a dps booster and freeze machine (buriza.)

There is a monk build that benefits from the Templar's spirit regen, and a wizard build that may benefit more from the enchantress's attack speed, else I think a buriza scroundrel is probably the best follower for both dps and crowd control.
@GunnersDream:

So, no one uses follower for the additional XP/MF/GF?
I suppose at Paragon 100, that extra MF no longer matters.

How about for low paragon level characters?
After 5 NV stacks, does the follower XP/MF/GF make a difference, or is there a glass ceiling?
I don't know about everyone, but I don't. The XP boost in 1.08 was enough that I don't feel compelled to use a hellfire on them.

There is a cap but unless you have ridiculous magic find gear the follower's MF will be useful. I stacked MF back before I heavily used the AH. I think most folks sort of realize the RNG is so long on finding something valuable that it isn't worth worrying about MF.

So I just play to have fun and/or kill efficiently. In both cases the little statues the scoundrel can make help that.
I think most folks sort of realize the RNG is so long on finding something valuable that it isn't worth worrying about MF.

So I just play to have fun and/or kill efficiently. In both cases the little statues the scoundrel can make help that.

touche!

Well said my friend. Well said.
Give them a puzzle ring for a few more goblins.
I'm pretty sure you get the benefit of their items even if they are dead (xp bonus, magic find, gold find.) You do not get their skill bonuses, though, so if you get, say 3% crit from your scoundrel, when they are dead, you won't get it.

Unless they've changed it, you still get the 3% crit when the scoundrel is dead, same with the enchantress auras like powered armor.

However the cast spells like hysteria don't work when they're dead.

That said if you give your scoundrel vanish he rarely dies anyway.
I was told A LONG time ago that +xp didn't cross over from followers but never really checked it and just went on assuming it was the case.

So do you get the bonus from +xp as well?

Has t always been this way and I'm just a dumb !@# or is it new?