is diablo really dead?

Lore and Story
if you see during the realm of terror fight, 2nd phase, look at the ground closely.

there are many arcane magic symbols drawn on the ground. and you were fighting shadow of diablo, terror phantasm.

phantasm means illusion. you were fighting a shadow/clone/illusion of diablo. that is what is in his realm of terror. all illusions.

at the end of the fight in the last phase, when diablo dies, you see the exact same symbol glowing red beneath diablo's feet. the same symbol covering the floor of his realm of terror.

has diablo really died? or was that just his illusion?

also if you read the things diablo said during the entire act 4, he said this:

"The hell rifts are closed, but it is of no matter. Soon there will be nothing left of these High Heavens. All creation will be the Realm of Terror!"

everywhere will be the realm of terror...everywhere will be a playground for his illusions to strike fear in everyone...did diablo succeed? is everything that we are seeing now an illusion?

http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Diablo
08/16/2013 12:37 AMPosted by EremiteAngel
everywhere will be the realm of terror...everywhere will be a playground for his illusions to strike fear in everyone...did diablo succeed? is everything that we are seeing now an illusion?

Thats a very interesting concept.. I like it... Hmmm....

Oh, Diablo succeeded alright. From what i can gather through the Lore.... He is far from over. We only kill his hosts... we havent even seen the real Diablo...

I think him "failing" was just a ruse... He never wanted to win. He wanted the Black Soulstone to vanish so he could be released with the powers of the other Evils...

But alas... this is all my own speculation... then again, with the expansion most likely being "Reaper of Souls" and my theory that ArchAngel Malthael becoming the Angel of Death...

I might be right ;)
. . . And, at the End of Days, Wisdom shall be lost
as Justice falls upon the world of men.

Valor shall turn to Wrath -

and all Hope will be swallowed by Despair.

Death, at last, shall spread its wings over all -

as Fate lies shattered forever.

Considering the End of Days prophecy is slowly becoming true, with Tyrael casting himself from heaven(Justice falling amongst the world men) Malthaelial becoming the arch angel of death...
I think you may be on to something here xD
But alas... this is all my own speculation... then again, with the expansion most likely being "Reaper of Souls" and my theory that ArchAngel Malthael becoming the Angel of Death...I might be right ;)

Considering the End of Days prophecy is slowly becoming true, with Tyrael casting himself from heaven(Justice falling amongst the world men) Malthaelial becoming the arch angel of death...I think you may be on to something here xD

So... i WAS right... Muahahahah !!!
Diablo is not really Dead. Evil Can never truly die. It will always exist.
He kinda is trapped in the Soulstone. HIs "essence". If they destroy the Soulstone at the Hellforge, he would get back in time. That's why they hid the Soulstone in the first place and that's why in the animation called "Wrath" they wanted to imprison him.
Who the hell knows.
Short answer: no. Diablo, as a demon, cannot die. Regardless of whether everything after the phantasm realm is all an elaborate hoax or real, his "soul" would continue to exist in the black soulstone. If it were not there, for whatever reason, his soul would go to whatever black pit demon souls go to regenerate for a while.

Either way, he would be back. I believe the point of the soulstones were that they could basically pause the regeneration effects forever, so they would stay as close to dead as possible for them.