Do DH need LS or LOH?

Demon Hunter
I'm regearing my DH and I'm wondering do I need LS or LoH? Lets say I'm farming mp5+ and UBERS. Do I need it? I see alot of DH without LS or LoH, but how the hell do you survive then? Educate me please :D

tHANK YOU! ^^
You don't need either at all. As long as you can manage your disc properly and utilize gloom when you need to, with a small bit of eHP behind it, you shouldn't have any problems.

And another tip, which you might or might not have read in other threads. Using snapshot with certain skills (casting Gloom prior to the skill so it retains the life steal, even after gloom wears off) will help an immense amount in higher MP. Rapid Fire and Spike Traps are the two most ideal skills to do this with. A much rarer skill that is an interesting utility is the shuriken rune of Chakram. By casting Gloom before using shuriken, you'll retain an AoE life steal aura around you for 2 minutes. Re-cast as needed for permanent life steal in those cases where you get frozen in an unfortunate spot.

Note: Shuriken is by no means a skill that is incorporated into any regular build, as it doesn't have much utility other than allowing a DH to life sustain. For dps DHs, disregard this skill (unless you have a personal preference to it, although as a secondary fire-and-forget skill, it provides an extra AoE 45% damage a second while giving you permalife steal.)
LS and LoH on gear = throw away Shadow Power
You can run with smoke instead and a lot more flexible in build.

but
SP is 15% where as the most you can get from gear is 3~6%.

You can use those attacks that can leech life, or use a sentry build and have a bit of ls on your weapon.
its not required but it surely can be very helpful. my advice try getting weapon with LS on weapon only, that should be enough to keep you alive even without shadow power. As you increase mp levels you will notice how often you're using shadow power, that's where having LS on weapon comes handy more. Its usually for those "oh !@#$ moments".

But if you're playing already at higher mp levels without depending on extra LS, i'm sure you will do fine without.

the downside of having LS on weapon, you do lose on good amount of dps. since new patch will be coming soon, do not invest heavily into anything since items will be improving.
Nope, just gloom it, all the cool kids are :)
You don't need either at all. As long as you can manage your disc properly and utilize gloom when you need to, with a small bit of eHP behind it, you shouldn't have any problems.

Xeno, I'm curious, how much EHP do you mean specifically (your profiles on d3up.com are usually at or around 600+ unbuffed EHP, of which your shield equates to around 250k EHP alone).

I ask as I am happy to keep using Gloom for LS and drop LS from my bow when I upgrade (I like rare 2h bows, but they are hard to come by with huge DPS gains now, as I'm looking in the vicinity of 40k+), so obviously not interested in using a shield.

I have theory crafted up to around 435k unbuffed EHP with future upgrading/crafting etc but would that be enough to tackle most concerns in MP10 (don't play much MP10 atm)?? Or should it be even higher then that?

Silver
Going with dual LS weapons opens up some new possibilities and to try a few things, i've done a dual wield set up where i ran double LS and didnt use gloom at all but did all right. However, that set up on high mp10 8+ need really high paper dps to make up for the quiver bonus and ehp it provides.
@Silver

If you're planning to 400 - 450k eHP, you're going to need to be putting out some above average dps to compensate for the lower mitigation. With lower mit, eHP consisting of HP is much more useful than armor / resist due to the fact that your dps + gloom will compensate for the spike damage.

I'd say at least 375 - 400k unbuffed dps (unless you use a build like nyan's RF set up, then lower sheet dps is fine.)

There will however, be times (with 400k eHP), where spike damage will be too much to handle (getting caught unaware by a groups of fallen maniacs) and you will be forced to kite, or you will get 1 hit, regardless of gloom.
@Silver

If you're planning to 400 - 450k eHP, you're going to need to be putting out some above average dps to compensate for the lower mitigation. With lower mit, eHP consisting of HP is much more useful than armor / resist due to the fact that your dps + gloom will compensate for the spike damage.

I'd say at least 375 - 400k unbuffed dps (unless you use a build like nyan's RF set up, then lower sheet dps is fine.)

There will however, be times (with 400k eHP), where spike damage will be too much to handle (getting caught unaware by a groups of fallen maniacs) and you will be forced to kite, or you will get 1 hit, regardless of gloom.

Thanks for the reply Xeno, I really appreciate it :-)

I'll keep that in mind.

Silver