why did malthael leave tyrael alive?

General Discussion
Prev 1 5 6 7
09/06/2016 08:53 PMPosted by AndrewSteffy
The fact that Malthael left Tyrael live is quite bewildering. I thought we could finally unravel the mystery behind the cinematic trailer after accomplishing the campaign. However, it seems Blizzard has yet to provide a coherent explanation to it.

My view would be that Tyrael has a soul of an angel despite his mortal body. For that Malthael wasnt able to absorb his.

a) this is not a current topic. it was started a few years ago, necro'ed last year, and now you've necroed it again.

b) it is explained. Malthael's goal is to end all demonic essence. Humans/Nephilims are half demon, so killing them suits his goal. Tyrael has a human form, but he is still purely angelic in essence. He was not descended from Lilith and the wayward angel. Since he has nothing demonic in him, Malthael has no interest in destroying him.

The only action of Malthael that really makes no sense is absorbing the Prime Evil during the final battle. This actually works against his goal. By absorbing it into himself, he gives evil a home. And when he dies, all evil is set free.
I finally get it, but sad that nothing will ever change that.
People miss Necromancer from D2 so much that they play "Necro" at the forums
Because of Tyrael's might!
Malthael is disgusted that Tyrael abandoned his Angelic status for the life of a vile mortal. He considers the Nephalim to be abominations (they are crossbreed descendants of Lilith and Inarious, Demon and Angel) , but at the last moment Malthael has a vhange of heart, he can't slay his brother.

Malthaels motives are in the grey, he considers himself to be doing the right thing. The Nephalim are growing too powerful, enough to pose a threat to tipping the balance between the forces of heaven and hell. They could go in either direction , and he considers it a risk not worth leaving in the hands of fate. To eliminate them before the threat can manifest itself fully. The Black Soulstone he sees as a means to an end in this purpose, by augmenting himself with its power.

Ironically at the end, the very thing he fears most from the Nephalim is what he himself helps to bring about, which can be seen in the ending cinematic.

You see Angels are inherently good, demons are bad. This is their nature and they can't change it, thus balance is created. Mortals on the other hand... Malthael was the Archangel of Wisdom after all. Can we really be trusted with our "concience and morals" when it comes to wielding such power? Is the risk worth taking?
If you see angels as lawful, rather than good, Sanctuary makes sense. Angels don't care about good, and only Tyrael voted to let humanity live and prevented a holocaust by angels.
I figured it was because Tyrael was still an angel technically just mortal and in a human form. He didn't have demonic energy inside him like the humans/nephalem do and that was what Malthael was looking to get rid of.
09/09/2016 10:24 AMPosted by Urazz
I figured it was because Tyrael was still an angel technically just mortal and in a human form. He didn't have demonic energy inside him like the humans/nephalem do and that was what Malthael was looking to get rid of.

This is the reason, and as I recall (assuming I recall correctly) it is specifically stated at some point in Act 5.
08/21/2013 05:08 AMPosted by SuboXone
They are brothers. Maybe that's why.

That's not how Cane saw it.
because inside him there is no a demonic essence