People need to stop complaining about the AH.

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 18 Next
The mere existence of the Auction House in the game has an effect on all who play it.

In determining how loot works, how many items are dropped, how many legendaries will drop in a game, and various other factors, the devs had to take into consideration the existence of the Auction House in their game design or risk flooding the game with items overnight.

The fact that the Auction house exists at all is the reason why the quantity of items you find are junk/not for your class/worthless, it is the reason why you see x amount of legendaries during your play time, it is the reason why RNG and rolls on stats work the way they do, and why the chance of finding a good item is so astronomically small. It's because the devs had to consider the Auction House in all of their decisions regarding itemization and loot drops.

Whether or not you choose to use it is completely irrelevant, anyone with half a brain can see that is the case. The game experience is tailored to the use of the Auction House, and as such your progression is tied to it intrinsically.

Because of the multi-tiered randomization on items, the scarcity with which certain items appear in-game, and the sheer, exponentially small probability in attaining good stat combinations on items (literally a 1:1,000,000 chance for certain things), the chance for players to find great items for themselves is so laughably small that it becomes a daunting task requiring tremendous resolve.

And it's just not fun.

[EDIT]
To elaborate:

I am in no way insinuating that the game "tunes" loot drops based on what is happening in the Auction House on a daily basis. The game does not say "oh there are too many Mempos for sale on AH, better drop some more Gladiator Gauntlets."

I am not saying that drops are determined on a day-to-day basis based on some calculation made from analyzing trades and AH sales.

This is a misinterpretation made by people who a read a very poorly worded response from a forum mod a long time ago, and now often refer to that post outside of its original context.

What I am saying is that, at its creation, the loot system and drops were designed with the existence of an Auction House taken into consideration.
[/EDIT]
^^

Proof that the Auction House affects the game.

Thanks for the post, Bashiok. Do you think that one area of concern that may get looked at is that people aren't able to gear up for Infernon Act 1, even, without going to the AH and spending a lot of gold. Is this intended (To gear up solely through the AH) or will the drops at the end of Hell be better adjusted to help gear up for Inferno Act 1 and so on.

The auction house obviously provides an incredible service to allow for very easy trades between characters, and essentially blows out the wide range of items you could have available to you at any one time. So, in fact, the AH has to be a factor in how we drop items. On one hand you have a huge benefit because you can buy and sell items very easily, as opposed to having to post up WTS threads in the old USEast trading forums, but on the other end it does impact the item pool economy with the inherent ease at which you can trade items. If the AH existed but wasn't a factor at all into how items dropped/rolled, the economy would be completely tanked within a matter of weeks.
The mere existence of the Auction House in the game has an effect on all who play it.

In determining how loot works, how many items are dropped, how many legendaries will drop in a game, and various other factors, the devs had to take into consideration the existence of the Auction House in their game design or risk flooding the game with items overnight.

The fact that the Auction house exists at all is the reason why the quantity of items you find are junk/not for your class/worthless, it is the reason why you see x amount of legendaries during your play time, it is the reason why RNG and rolls on stats work the way they do, and why the chance of finding a good item is so astronomically small. It's because the devs had to consider the Auction House in all of their decisions regarding itemization and loot drops.

Whether or not you choose to use it is completely irrelevant, anyone with half a brain can see that is the case. The game experience is tailored to the use of the Auction House, and as such your progression is tied to it intrinsically.

Because of the multi-tiered randomization on items, the scarcity with which certain items appear in-game, and the sheer, exponentially small probability in attaining good stat combinations on items (literally a 1:1,000,000 chance for certain things), the chance for players to find great items for themselves is so laughably small that it becomes a daunting task requiring tremendous resolve.

And it's just not fun.

Says it all IMO.

+1

Now I just wish all those saying 'you want no ah - just don't use it - you have the option' would read this!

Then I'd wish they'd have the comprehension and analytical skills to absorb and understand it!

Then I'd wish they'd have the grace to accept a viewpoint change and broaden their minds.

Then... I'd probably still find another 20 posts saying the same thing on my http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9754145505 thread haha.

And it's just not fun.

Everyone just needs to relax a little...With or without the AH, the drop and trade statistics can and will be calculated by change of ownership, for example, much like how the AH transaction log works. Without the AH, it's still quite easy to calculate how many legendary drops are turned into Brimstones and how many are traded...Even without trading (BoP everything), the drop rates can still monitored simply by running the calculation of the percentage of BiS affixes on drops...

This is really something everyone needs to understand.
08/23/2013 05:49 PMPosted by Rikus
But wait a second.... If the AH is still up and those super easy to get items are dropping like mad wtf do you think will happen to the AH? Do you think people will stop using it because those easy to get items drop more often or do you think those super easy to get items will just flood the AH and it will be the same !@#$ all over again?

YES!!!! Finally, someone who gets it.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9499810563#1
08/23/2013 05:19 PMPosted by Jt3z
Im gonna guess you are referring to me i havent spent one dime of my own money on the rmah because it would make the game less fun for me but to say that is wrong is wrong imo. What people do with their OWN money is their business not ours or anybody elses

Actually I am not refering to anyone in particular. And I said it somewher else. I dont care nor do I blame people for doing it.

What grinds my gears is this attitude that I would not be entitled to the best gear, regardless how long I play this game, because I dont flipp for items or use money in the RMAH.

What people do with their time and money is THEIR decision. Not mine. I am not going to tell people what to do in the game. But you constantly have to hear this "you dont have any rights to awesome gear!" just to see people with barely any elite kills in 300 000 almost 400 000 DPS gear, without beeing glass canons ...

Tell me? Who's entitled to the best gear? The guy that spend a hell lot of time playing the game? Or someone who decided to not even play it and just leave money on the RMAH or flipping on the auction house?
08/23/2013 05:59 PMPosted by CrniVuk
Im gonna guess you are referring to me i havent spent one dime of my own money on the rmah because it would make the game less fun for me but to say that is wrong is wrong imo. What people do with their OWN money is their business not ours or anybody elses

Actually I am not refering to anyone in particular. And I said it somewher else. I dont care nor do I blame people for doing it.

What grinds my gears is this attitude that I would not be entitled to the best gear, regardless how long I play this game, because I dont flipp for items or use money in the RMAH.

What people do with their time and money is THEIR decision. Not mine. I am not going to tell people what to do in the game. But you constantly have to hear this "you dont have any rights to awesome gear!" just to see people with barely any elite kills in 300 000 almost 400 000 DPS gear, without beeing glass canons ...

Tell me? Who's entitled to the best gear? The guy that spend a hell lot of time playing the game? Or someone who decided to not even play it and just leave money on the RMAH or flipping on the auction house?
I dont disagree. If yolu play a thousand hours you deserve a reward for all that time put in. My complaint is the people complaing who have barely put in a couple dozen hours and expect end game gear.
This is a free will world. If people decided to sell their own godly gear they can still do with the AH or if they wanted to keep it they can still do so and it automatically becomes BoA at that point. There is no need to remove AH or implement BoA and let people use their common sense
08/23/2013 06:01 PMPosted by ellisD
Instead of botting, duping and exploiting we have the ah as endgame.

Wut.
08/23/2013 06:02 PMPosted by Jt3z
I dont disagree. If yolu play a thousand hours you deserve a reward for all that time put in. My complaint is the people complaing who have barely put in a couple dozen hours and expect end game gear.

Of course! You are completely right here :)

There are strange posters on both ends of the spectrum. Gaining those items, should feel like a reward. But it should be one that you can reach actually. Making it equal to the lottery ... :/ not so fun ... with saying that I dont mind SOME kind of randomness. It keeps the game interesting. How would you know if something is awesome if it drops every 10 sec? Thats ridiculous. But lets say BiS items within 200 hours of gaming? When you consider that you have like 14 slots or so. That doesnt seem that unrealistc in my opinion. On average of course. Thing is, if you done that then you could still farm items for the OTHER classes as well. I mean the game will soon enough offer 6 new classes, and when a lot of those get interesting build options and items, then it will be entertaining for years to come, despite the fact that people can reach BiS items in a decent amount of time. You just have to make the journey a fun experience and not one character like a clone of the other, as it is right now, where a Monk is looking for CC, CD and IAS, where the Barb is looking for CC, CD and IAS and where all characters look for the highest DPS on their weapons ...
08/23/2013 05:59 PMPosted by CrniVuk

Everyone thinks that they should be rewarded for something that they do. The problem is some think that they should get the best gear with 100 hours played, some 1,000, and some think that they should get the best gear with $100, some $1,000...

You're right. If they want to spend the time, it's their time. If they want to spend the money, it's their money. No one tells the person who spends the time that they have no right to awesome gear. No one tells the person who spends the money that they have no right to awesome gear. We won't have any problems, then. LOL
The problem is not that there is a safe place to buy and sell items. The AH is setup perfect for this and does it well.

The problem is RNG and the drop rate set to preserve the "Economy". As D3 is now, you HAVE to use the AH to get good gear. Unlike D2 when a legendary dropped you knew it was useful on one of your characters. NOT in D3, 99% of the drops in this game blow chunks. Even though I get a little happy when the beam of light shoots up from a legendary drop, it is just shameful I am probably gonna have to brim it because it sucks.

I have played this game for thousands of hours and have only had one Zuni Pox drop and it sucked so bad I brimmed it. THAT SHOULD NEVER HAPPEN. If D3 had good items drop like rain then everyone would have a 6%CC, 9% AS, 34%CD tripox and the Tycoons and botters would be broke and the game would be fun like D2.

If they made more set affixes (All gloves dropped with CC, CD, IAS, and AR and had random stat rolls) the AH would be used to facilitate exchanging gear and not making money.

The item price cap should be 20 million not 2 billion. It is possible to gather 20 million gold in game after lots of play time but I do not know of anyone who has gathered 2 billion, other than maybe bots.
@ellisd

?? How is that relevant??

The AH does not fix botting, duping, and exploiting. : /