Arena Discussion

Jan 16 Arena Specifics Update 13.0.3 - 12/19/18 Any given Arena draft pick will offer 3 cards from the same "Bucket". There are currently 13 non-Legendary card buckets and 5 Legendary card buckets. On average, Arena draft picks consist of about 83% Common, 11% Rare, 5% Epic, and 1% Legendary cards. Your 1st, 10th, 20th, and 30th picks will be guaranteed to offer Rare, Epic, or Legendary cards. These picks will always offer cards from Bucket 4 or higher. Cards from the latest Expansion receive an additional +50% increase in their appearance rate. Class cards receive an additional +50% increase in their appearance rate. Spell and weapon cards receive an additional +50% increase in their appearance rate. Neutral cards from the Classic and Basic set appear 50% less often. These appearance rate modifiers are multiplicative. The following cards are unavailable to be drafted in Arena:Ancient Watcher, Mind Control Tech, Jungle Giants, Open the Waygate, The Caverns Below, Vicious Fledgling, The Marsh Queen, Fire Plume’s Heart, Awaken the Makers, Unite the Murlocs, Lakkari Sacrifice, The Last Kaleidosaur, Humongous Razorleaf, Bloodreaver Gul’dan, Deathstalker Rexxar, Frost Lich Jaina, Malfurion the Pestilent, Scourgelord Garrosh, Shadowreaper Anduin, Thrall, Deathseer, Uther of the Ebon Blade, Valeera the Hollow, Baku the Mooneater, Black Cat, Genn Greymane, Glitter Moth, Gloom Stag, Hagatha the Witch, Murkspark Eel, Dr. Boom, Mad Genius, Whizbang the Wonderful, Zul’jin Arena Bucket Information can be found here. We’re working to improve the Arena experience, and your feedback is always appreciated!Daxxarri106 Jan 16
Dec 15 Hearthstone Arena Pick Update In Update 10.4, we rolled out some significant changes to the Arena. Now we’ve had a chance to see the effects they’re having and read your feedback. We agree with the concern that many of you have expressed that there are slightly too many high powered cards appearing in Arena decks. Based on that, we recently implemented two changes to Arena picks via hotfix: • Legendary picks now appear less often. • Below average picks will now appear more often. We’re planning to keep a close eye on how these changes affect the Arena experience, so please let us know what you think. Thanks for your continued feedback, and we’ll see you in the tavern!Jesse Hill77 Dec 15
Jun 19 Arena Micro-Adjustment Update – June 20, 2018 Greetings! Micro-adjustment values for cards in Arena have been updated based on the recent performance of each class. This update excludes data from the ongoing Taverns of Time event. As explained in our recent blog, our goal is to even out win rates for each class, specifically for each to have a win rate close to 50%. Most classes have win rates within 1% of that target, but a few do not. This micro-adjustment update will do the following: • Druid and Paladin have been overperforming, so the average quality of their Arena picks has been lowered. • Warrior and Priest have been underperforming, so the average quality of their Arena picks has been increased. We would also like to share some bucketing changes made specifically for Taverns of Time. You may have already noticed them in play. We see that you have been enjoying this Arena event and want to ensure you get the best experience you possibly can. Together with the micro-adjustment update above, some Taverns of Time cards have had their buckets changed to more closely match their effective power level. The following cards have been moved upwards in buckets: Cavern Dreamer Master of Realities Timeway Wanderer Timebound Giant Chromie The following card has been moved downwards in buckets: Timeline Witness Thank you all for your continued feedback. :) Cheers and GLHF!Jesse Hill0 Jun 19
Apr 18, 2018 Hotfix 11.0.1 Arena Changes In an upcoming hotfix currently targeted for release on Thursday, April 19 (PDT), we will be making the following changes to the Arena: • Adjusted the buckets for certain cards so that they appear alongside cards of a similar power level, mostly from The Witchwood and Kobolds and Catacombs. • Lowered the appearance rate of Rare cards slightly and raised the appearance rate of Basic/Common cards slightly. Epic and Legendary cards should appear at the same rate. • Very slightly raised the appearance rate of below average cards. These changes should adjust the overall power level of Arena so that it feels like the choices players are making in their drafting decisions are more meaningful. Our goal is to continue making improvements to the Arena as needed and communicate these changes to our players as they are implemented. Thank you for your continued feedback.Jesse Hill0 Apr 18, 2018
Aug 16, 2013 Welcome: Please read! Hello, and welcome to the Arena forum! This forum is here to provide you with a friendly environment where you can discuss the Arena with your fellow combatants. Discuss your best deck-building strategies, epic winning streaks and your best Arena decks within – and learn the ropes from other Arena veterans! Community forums work best when participants treat their fellow posters with respect and courtesy, so we ask that you take the time to read through the forum Code of Conduct before posting.Zeriyah0 Aug 16, 2013
Feb 27 Nice Job Thanks to Blizzard for deleting my post about how broken warrior is in arena. This shows a lot about how much you want players to share your thoughts with you. Looks like you don't like getting advice, just do what you think is good. Pathetic behavior once again, as expected.FireHades0 Feb 27
Feb 26 Leveling in arena I like to play arena. But I also like to obtain golden hereos (500 wins) So isn't it an idea, that when we win a game in Arena the game provides us an extra win for the 500 which I otherwise only get in standerd or wild games? Let me know what you think about this.Youri0 Feb 26
Feb 25 mc tech can someone explain to me why mc tech is banned in arena while there are prob 15-20 other cards that are way stronger?Mischko6 Feb 25
Feb 25 Hacking/Bug in arena? So I just played a mage by the name of “FunkyMonk”. This is my 6-1 match. He played nothing on turn 1 & 2. He then plays spellzerker turn 3. turn 4, a Floop... how? Am I missing something here? It did not say “created by” anything, and even if it was just a bug, he didn’t play any card generation. Floop is definitely a Druid card, and he played it in a mage deck? Is there some update or event going on I don’t know about? Edit: I have a video/picture of it, but do not know how to upload it, if possible.FireyStorm11 Feb 25
Feb 24 Arena queuing problem There is a serious flaw in the arena queue: there is a very high chance to be queued against the same person multiple times. You will often come up against decks which will counter your strat, or just destroy you because they got an amazing draft; but coming up against such a deck should mean 1 loss, not 2 or 3 straight off. It's not really a fair measure of your deck or your play to just be knocked out because you happen to have come up against the worst case scenario straight away. Solution imo: just make it impossible to get the same opponent more than once in an arena run.Larwood11 Feb 24
Feb 24 best come from behind win i've had so far just wanted to share this game as it is one of the best games ive had. involves coming back after it looked over. the game is also long (17 mins) but its here if you wanted to watch it https://hsreplay.net/replay/kCygE25zYeBSgirrLeWsZhrusslinjimis1 Feb 24
Feb 22 Which card do you fear the most ? Hey, As title says. Which card(s) do you fear seeing the most. It has to be a card that you see quiet often,not something like deathwing. Some examples: 1-blastwave 2-violet wyrm 3-draggon roar 4-armani war bear (nope I don't fear this one,though I always pick it) Probably blastwave for me.Rassy14 Feb 22
Feb 22 Rigged Game Fix the game!! This is not RNG based. The enemy keeps top decking every answer, not only in normal ranked, but also in arena!! FIX THIS!!Yuri28 Feb 22
Feb 22 Jan Leaderboards When will the leaderboards for january be posted?Fear4 Feb 22
Feb 20 arena boring again Hey, Not sure what blizzard did change but they did change something in arena. Spells now are being offered at a far lower rate and this makes arena very boring curve minion play again. Pls change back:(Rassy2 Feb 20
Feb 18 Взрывающиеся руны и зиллиакс При игре на мобильном за Тиранду выставил Зиллиакса. После чего у противника сработал секрет "взрывающиеся руны" нанёс зиллиаксу 0 и персонажу - 4. Есть скриншот.Mensant1 Feb 18
Feb 18 The best neutral drops Hey, These are what I think the best neutral drops for every mana slot excluding legendarys and considering all things equal,for example the first pick in the draft. Sometimes its very close with other drops but you have to pick something as best so its a bit arbitrary. Feel free to offer suggestions and critizism. 1-glacial shard 2-wild pyromancer 3-hyldnir frostrider 4-spellbreaker 5-bittertide hydra 6-bone-drake 7-armani warbear 8-violet wyrm 9-sleepy dragon 10-sea giantRassy1 Feb 18
Feb 17 Just buffed my card to 3 health So of course my opponent draws a 3 damage spell. Cause god forbid we get past that 50% amiriteFluoxetine0 Feb 17
Feb 16 leaderboards need quicker releases How hard can it possibly be? It’s a simple matter of data collection. I see no logical reason why the January leaderboards haven’t been released 16 DAYS into February.KloppsKop0 Feb 16
Feb 14 Has anyone had this happen? I was queuing up at 11-2, I was disconnected during the que, restarted the game, queued back up and won the 11-2 game but was only rewarded for 11 wins? I'm sort of upset because it would've been my first 12 wins and I wanted the icon :(Decapitated5 Feb 14
Feb 14 Open access to the Bucket system pls I understand that now you don’t care, in connection with all these layoffs, but still, could you make a cleaner "Bucket system" ? I think it would be great if there was a section on playhearthstone.com with current buckets.Dsorrow1 Feb 14
Feb 13 The best neutral drops. double post,my apologies. pls delete this one.Rassy0 Feb 13
Feb 12 missile launcher Another weird interaction: My opponents missile launcher killed my opponents 1/1 totem after which the healing totem brought it back to life as a 1/1 again lol.Rassy1 Feb 12
Feb 11 computer-assigned result. All I wanna say is, if I get good results, I will suck on multiple runs later just because of the "bad luck" on drawings. I've got two 12 wins in a roll, then I get 3 bad runs (0-3, 2-3, 1-3) just because of bad draws. In these loses, I always got no turn 2 or turn 3 play, while I have 15 cards of my deck <3 mana. If this happens once or twice this is pure luck, but if this happens a lot and always after good runs, I'm pretty sure this is some kind of computer-assigned results. Imagine, two games in a roll, you play scalebane on turn 5, and your opponent instant dragon slayer you. At least in Arena. I've played ONLY arena for years (maybe some games of ladder but not a lot).Aerotong21 Feb 11
Feb 11 How do new players unlock arena? What are the current conditions that need to be met for new players (rank 50) to unlock the arena mode? Is it still just unlocking all of the 9 hero classes? Is it a particular level on the ladder they need to reach? What exactly is the condition with the new "new player experience"?StevenSensei2 Feb 11
Feb 10 jan alai vs barron geddon. Mage draft late in the draf, I do have a little bit of elemental synergy en I have a balanced draft thus far with flamestrike and blastwave as aoe. Am I wrong for seriously considering baron geddon because of the elemental synergy (I got elemental invocation and arcanosaur that need targets and only 3 elementals besides that) Jan alai seems auto pick and probably auto win once activated but I had it before and I got to play it activated only once or so. most likely I wont be able to play it before turn 15. I think barron is the pick but I am not sure. Other opinions about jan alai are welcome. In my experience it has not been that great. oondasta is the 3rd pick but I only got 1 cheap beast (4 cards to go) and it does not feel worth it to me. But its a good card in general as well. I did pick geddon.Rassy1 Feb 10
Feb 10 What's the craziest luck you've had in arena? I recently drafted something like a control deck in arena (20 cards costing 4 or less, one brawl, and nine 7,8, and 9 drops). Granted it was a little on the heavy side, but in my very first game I was very surprised to find that I drew 9/10 of my most expensive cards before drawing a single one I could play. The odds of this occurring I estimated were potentially below 1/100,000 (I probably should invest in the power ball). Needless to say, I was immediately curious as to how this anomaly of a game stacked up to the uncommon experiences of other arena players- and just a little bit salty. Saltiness aside, my question is: what's the craziest, most unlikely thing you can recall seeing or experiencing in arena mode?Frshquawnda2 Feb 10
Feb 9 Story: "How i got 5 legendaries on arena" So I chose a hunter and got: houndmaster shaw, subject 9, oakheart, two swamp king dreds. Still my score was 68.5Viksuper5554 Feb 9
Feb 8 Please remove Lich King from Arena This game is always going to be pretty RNG based, obviously, but Lich King is too large of a swing. If you have Lich King and the opponent doesn't, they're pretty much !@#$ed. Something has to go seriously wrong for you to lose with this card in Arena. It makes the game mode very unfun and it would be a very simple change to just remove it.GiantFick11 Feb 8
Feb 6 Micro Adjust Warrior and Warlock These classes are seriously the most unfun thing in arena with all the removal in the world.Zav0 Feb 6
Feb 6 Arena is broken ARENA IS !@#$ED. it is actually impossible to win more than 6 %^-*ing games. i watch every arena streamer use an arena helper do everything i can to try and be decent at it but i just constantly get !@#$ed by people who get perfect card draw or have the most %^-*ing ridiculous combos. SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME WHY THIS KEEPS HAPPENING IT IS RUINING THE GAME FOR ME.TheNiccin2 Feb 6
Feb 5 2 drops and 3 drops in value drafts. This is about arena drafting. Arena drafts used to have a lot of 2 drops, 4-6 usually. This was before the introduction of 3 drops with 4 or more health. The introduction of many of these 3 drops,together with some other control options have made 2 drops considerably weaker and it now is a valid strategy to run only a few 2 drops to go for a bit more value. When using the strategy of only a few 2 drops I am torn between 2 different 3 drops and I can not decide which one is best. Tar creeper vs hyldnir frostrider. Tar creeper is better later in the game but on turn 3 I think hyldnir is the better play as it allows you to actively value trade any possible 2 drop,something the tar creeper can not do most of the times. 2 drops I find viable picks -acidic swamp ooze -stuborn gastropod -wild pyromancer -mad bomber -youthfull brewmaster -loothoarder -novice engineer These are about the only neutral 2 drops I will draft,except when I go for a flood/rush deck with warlock or hunter,maybe rogue. Good 3 drops -stoneskin basilisk -tar creeper -hyldnir frostrider -any 3/4 minion -dragonslayer -deathspeaker -egg napper -banana buffoon (circumstantial) -scarlet crusader -phantom militia -stonehill defender The very popular lone champion i think is not a good card,not even when you go the strategy of only few 2 drops. I will draft other 3 drops occasionally,if the curve needs it and when i am late in the draw,but the above list is are my preferred 3 drops. Most of these drops have 1 thing in common,they have the potential to trade 2 for 1 and sometimes even better. That doesn't mean that you will always trade 2 for one but at least the potential is there. This is very important for value oriented arena drafts. trading 2 for 1 gains both tempo and value and can help make a value draft viable. I will off course draft other 2 and 3 drops if i have to. But then it depends on the cards i already have and the class i am playing,there has to be the potential for added benefits besides simply playing a 2/3 or a 3/2. Or it has to be some emergency situation near the end of the draft where i have to pick them to fill up big holes in my draft (not neccesarily curve,the lack of aoe or only a few decent 3 drops in a draft makes drafting only a few 2,s considerably more risky) Hope this helps some people when drafting. Don't use draft guides (even though this is one to some extend) they are not that great. Better think for yourself.Rassy10 Feb 5
Feb 5 blastwave vs flamestrike and others Blastwave vs blizzard is an easy blastwave pick but how about flamestrike and meteor. Would you pick blastwave over flamestrike and meteor? I would probably pick it over flamestrike (unless the draft needs a comeback mechanic badly) but not over meteor. Flamestrike is still better i think but blastwave has been pretty amazing.Rassy0 Feb 5
Feb 5 Mass hysteria in arena This card is absolutely unfun to play against. It feel so unfair to just use this card and clean your board you painfully build up. I am okay with psychic scream ,but this card is just over the top and needs it's rarity be adjusted to be in the same tier as mind control.Lafiel2 Feb 5
Feb 3 Dragon roar... It's ok for constructed. NOT ok for arena. It's ridiculous. it removed all the fun of playing against warrior. SO frustrating. Let's ban MCT after 4 years of players complaining and then add another cards thats does not belong in arena. 2 or 4 dragon roar every single time. How do you win against like 2 sindragosa, aliestrazsa and all the other op legendary dragon. It doesn't make sense to play this in arena. Make it top 1 bucket at least and reduce the rate of it happening. Jesus Christicon12 Feb 3
Feb 3 Matching op decks Is it just me or every encounter in arena feels stupidly harder nowadays? Decks drafted that would easily get you to at least 7 wins in the past can barely reach 4-5 wins. In my last 5 arena games only one time i reached 7 wins.ZeNstok2 Feb 3
Feb 2 Arena needs to be more balanced. I decided to pick up Hearthstone again and try to play some more. I had about 700 Gold, so I spent it on Arena runs trying to get at least 3 wins. The problem is how unbalanced those runs are. Even if you use one of the many apps that help you with drafting, it's just pure !@#$ty RNG that can screw you over. If I had a few taunts, everybody had bigger and better taunts. Ones I had never been given the option to ever draw. If they had lots of minions, I was never given any board clears as an option to help kill them. Even if I had the board, the enemy DID draft board clears, so I lost. Because I got 0 options while they got 5. RNG does not make for a fun game. Not in a game that is supposed to be skill-based. There is no skill when it involves getting 0 board clears with 4+ Arena Drafts. I even drafted Warlock, king of the board clears, and got 0 options the entire draft. Even with minions and Life Tap, along with some of the Kobold Librarians, I couldn't stay ahead on the board either. My drafts in Arena were 100% the reason I'm not going to keep playing. The entire experience is horrible for new players/returning players. The drafting system really needs to be balanced out so that people get at least 1 board clear in their draft picks. There *needs* to be that option of a come-back for every deck, otherwise the entire thing is just like being run over by a freight train if you have a terrible starting hand. I can deal with having a terrible hand. That's the nature of drawing. But being unable to get certain key card types in your draft, while others get a surplus of them is just ridiculous. For those that do enjoy that type of RNG, that's all fine. But this is incredibly off-putting to me and I'm sure it's why many people don't continue to play nor even try to get into the game.Smash1 Feb 2
Feb 2 2x 12-2 mage Got 2x 12-2 with mage today and yesterday. (6-3 8-3 11-3 with other classes,its been 2 good arena days lol) Mage is a class I didn't pick much lately but it seems to be very good still. Both are more tempo drafts then control. (Hence decent amount of 1 and 2,s) Lots of dragon roars seen,they got nothing on me:P 1x acidic swamp ooze 1xarcane explosion 1xbook of specters 1xfairy dragon 1xfrost bolt 1xraven familiar 1xrockpool hunter 1xspell shifter 1xstuborn gastropod 1xcold wraith 1xhyldnir frostrider 1xigneous elemental 1xprimalfin lookout 1xpyromaniac 2xtar creeper 1xfireball 1xgrim necromancer 1xsteam surger 1xtol,vir stoneshaper 1xbonfire elemental 1xdragonmaw scorcher 1x muckhunter 1xmeteor 1xarmani warbear 1xflamestrike[quote][/quote] 2xprimeordial drake 1xviolet wyrm 1xpyroblast 2xdaring fire-eater 1xemerald hive queen 1xsaronite taskmasgter 1xacidic swamp ooze 1xarmani berserker 1xbluegill warrior 1xmad bomber 1xspellzerker 1xdragon slayer 1xpyro maniac 2xrazorfan hunter 1xuntamed beastmaster 1xarena fanatic 1xethereal arcanist 1xspell breaker 1xstormwind knight 1xticket scalper 1xbittertide hydra 1xblast wave 1xformer champ 2xfungal mancer 1xnestling croc 1xservant of kalimos 1xarcane dynamo 1xbone drake 1xmeteor 1xprimeordial drake The first deck is the stronger deck I think,i could make use of the elemental synergys and even the murloc one now and then. 2nd deck has a few missed synergys and also a few weak minions but it turned out well. Bittertide is a killer on 5 and blastwave got me a full hand more then once. Blastwave is very strong in arena. 5 mana 2 aoe is already pretty decent by itself in the arena and then there also is a potentially game winning upside. I am not a huge fan of arena fanatic and did pick it because the other options where worse but it turned out to be pretty decent this run.Rassy3 Feb 2
Feb 2 Please Review Arena Direction-Games Too Long I find myself echoing the sentiments of many of the threads here (Arena is becoming constructed, ban OP control cards, etc.), but I think they point to a larger issue with the Arena ecosystem, which is that Arena, increasingly, is a slog. A slog where I always have to buckle my seatbelt to outlast multiple dragon roars, play around mass hysteria, plan for fatigue, and more. It makes me want to play less, I get through runs much slower, and I even feel bad playing OP decks as it's a lose/lose situation where either I was supposed to win or I feel awful for underperforming. The promise of the bucket system is to more easily control the state of Arena via micro-adjustments, however I don't see that addressing the problems above. Power creep is real between sets, and because of that and the bucket system, even average decks have the tools to draw games out. I can't imagine how difficult it is to run so a popular game for such a long time, so I doubt there are easy answers. But Blizzard, from one mobile user to you, please see how you can make games faster. Said another way, when I no longer play Arena when I poop, that's a problem :).Adsfdeek6 Feb 2
Feb 1 Monopoly do have more skill then HS nowadays. I just got blastwave into "polymorph fireball frostbolt" and got killed by a 2 health mage. I love HS.Aerotong9 Feb 1
Jan 31 You are a DESPICABLE person if you... 1. You constantly rope people just to be a douche. 2. You slow-roll lethal just to be a douche. 3. You emote "Thank You" after stealing a draw/minion from an opponent. When did the world turn so damn toxic? What happened to playing for fun, sport and excitement? It seems people play now to antagonize, belittle and make the gaming experience as bad as they possibly can for an opponent. I just don't get it? When I play Arena, I avoid all of the actions listed above. I usually don't ever emote at all unless in response to a "Well Played" in a close game. I just try to play a good game in a timely manner and hope my skills/luck are enough to win.SimplyCoosh0 Jan 31
Jan 31 psychic screem positioning whoopsy my bad.Rassy2 Jan 31
Jan 29 Suggestion: Low-win rewards to be gold only Inexperienced arena players get 0-3 wins mostly. If the only get dust or a card beside a pack, they will tend to spend 100G on pack instead of 150G on arena ticket. However, if they can get 40-50G back in arena, they will tend to play arena more. And it would be even better to increase the low-win rewards a bit, like 0 win -- 30G 1 wins -- 40G 2 wins -- 50G 3 wins -- 60GMianMian0 Jan 29
Jan 28 Ban Mass Hysteria from Arena So you’re going to punish me for filling board when there is no choice? F@g game. F@g arena.Warren19945 Jan 28
Jan 28 "Bucket" system ruined arena same buckets over and over, same cards put in the same buckets. bring back random fun arenaWootWoot3 Jan 28
Jan 28 Get rid of Maev and luna quests. Any way to get rid of the maev and luna quests? I despise standard mode and don't want to play 20 games of it. I only play arena, I only care about arena I would prefer not to spend even 1 second playing standard. I do not care about alternate heroes and don't like what I've seen of them. If your response is for me to play standard mode go !@#$ yourself.ModaBoat11 Jan 28
Jan 27 Please change mad bomber card text I think there's an error in the card text of mad bomber. Instead of "Deal 3 damage randomly split between all other characters." it should say "Deal 3 damage to your only 3 health minion while there are 6+ total minions on the board, thus ending your arena run with tears" Please help me contact blizzard to have this changed, thank you.Frshquawnda1 Jan 27
Jan 25 Warrior is extremely OP right now They have a lot of card generation, weapons, and premium minions.Geoxyx3 Jan 25
Jan 25 Why did you change arena to op cards again? During october arena was at its best. Now you made arena full of op cards AGAIN like summer.Tell the truth: You dont want arena to be good, you just want arena to be a huge pile of trash.TheChemist2 Jan 25
Jan 25 Going second Going second sucks. That is allRopemaster18 Jan 25