Arena Discussion

1d Update 7.1 Arena Changes In our next update, we will be making a few changes to the Arena that should make it more interesting for our players and offer a much different experience with each set release. • Arena will change from Wild format to Standard As more cards are added to the Arena pool, having each game feel meaningfully different actually becomes harder to accomplish. Many of the cool synergies between cards, such as Jade Golems or Mechs, live within each individual set release. Attempting to create decks that utilize these meaningful synergies in a wide and diluted card pool will become more and more difficult as the Wild card pool grows larger. Arena runs then becomes less about card synergies and smart deck choices and more about being fortunate enough to be presented with the best card from each set. This change should put the focus back on the player for good, synergistic Arena choices and make Arena decks feel more cohesive. We’ll be monitoring using the Standard format in Arena carefully, and we may add additional changes or formats in the future if it doesn’t meet our goals of having Arena feel interesting and different with each set release. • Changes to Card Rarity Distribution We’re making a change to the frequency in which Common and Basic cards show up in the Arena. Common cards were about 78% of all Arena cards, and we felt that number was too high considering that many of the cards that focus around individual class identity and power level rely on the common cards of any given class. After this change, the number of Common and Basic cards that show up overall should be lower, giving more room for fun Rare, Epic, and Legendary cards to show up in an Arena run. In addition, the cards Abyssal Enforcer and Flamestrike will show up approximately 50% less in Arena.• More Spells in a Run Spells have the power to swing a board state, generally more than minions do. Obviously, there are some exceptions to this. When the distribution of spells to minions is too low, the game usually ends up in the favor of the player that gets out their minions faster and more efficiently than the other player, because there aren’t enough cards that punish overextending. Bringing the distributions of spells and minions closer together allows for more room to have an Arena game that is more strategic and facilitates more plays and counter-plays to occur. • Neutral Classic Cards Show Up Less A lot of neutral Classic cards tend to be minions without any text that lack interesting effects. While they are great for introducing newer players to Hearthstone and providing baselines for power level comparisons, they don’t make for compelling Arena run choices. This helps make more room for spells, class cards, and expansion cards to show up at a higher rate. • Golden Cards Show Up In Arena If you own golden cards in your collection, copies of that card that appear in your Arena run will show up as golden. If you own a single golden card, the first copy of it you choose will be golden. If you own two copies of a golden card, every copy of that card you choose in the Arena will be golden. If you own one golden Legendary, every copy of that Legendary you choose in Arena will be golden. These changes will occur in an upcoming update near the end of February. We’ll see you in the Tavern! Edit: Added additional bullet point regarding golden cards.Zeriyah259 1d
Aug 16, 2013 Welcome: Please read! Hello, and welcome to the Arena forum! This forum is here to provide you with a friendly environment where you can discuss the Arena with your fellow combatants. Discuss your best deck-building strategies, epic winning streaks and your best Arena decks within – and learn the ropes from other Arena veterans! Community forums work best when participants treat their fellow posters with respect and courtesy, so we ask that you take the time to read through the forum Code of Conduct before posting.Zeriyah0 Aug 16, 2013
31m Arena used to be fun but now its awful Now its the same paladin cards and the same mage cards and the same regular cards. If you don't get those particular cards, just retire it. Why did they have to completely trash arena like this? It's a slap in the face to the players that have been playing it for years and now its just trash. Please revert it back to the way it used to be.ProudSJW10 31m
33m Arena rewards are awful I played 3 arenas within the last couple days. My results were 6-3, 6-3, and 5-3. But my rewards were absolute crap! My 6 win arena's both game me an ungoro pack, 80 gold, and a common card. My 5-3 arena gave me an ungoro pack and 60 gold. This doesn't make any sense. If I get double as many wins as losses, I should get more, and if I get 2 more wins than losses, I should get more than 10 extra gold.Narwhale8 33m
1h 12 Arena runs in a row, no Mage option. I very rarely pay for an Arena run, I almost always build up coins and pay for an Arena run. I feel like the game doesn't give you Mage as a character to choose from unless you pay for your Arena admission. I'm on 12 Arena runs now without being able to choose Mage, and every one was done with 150 coins. Anyone else notice this or is this just a case of bad RNG? I've been doing ok with the other classes, especially Priest, but I would just love a go with ol Magey.Rugula0 1h
1h when will the mage love affair end? for two years straight mages have ruled ARENA will ICECROWN finally be the expansion does something about this massive unbalance? doubt it. but here's a few simple changes that should help, or at least a good staring point. Fireball now costs 12 mana Firelands Portland now creates a 5 cost creature for your opponent instead of you Flamestrike opponents creatures take 4 damage, if it kills them bring them back twice as strong Meteor only effects dinosaurs Lastly, mages hero power is increase to 2 damage but can only target themselves. Please take my suggestions seriously, i think it will go a long ways to making Mages more balanced in arena.Fbuddha10 1h
2h Vicious Fledgling Has got to be the most terrible card ever created. What the hell were they thinking?This card ruins the game. This is what happens Play fledgling Can't kill it the very next turn? Instantly becomes unkillable for two more turns and deals well over 20 damage by the time you've sacrificed your entire board trying to kill it.Poomahji21 2h
2h Arena is free! With the influx of inexperienced players and the extra free win you get, it's a breeze playing arena now and getting to higher wins. For the people that are decent at arena, this is a good time to play, especially if you care about packs/gold/dust. I personally don't care about either, I'm in it for playing arena, but if you're on the fence about playing right now, you should definitely give it a try.Zsa15 2h
5h Hey Blizzard Make Arena Wild again. Seriously, it is terrible. Mage/pally la la la. Stop adjusting the pool with your silly tweaks. All cards, same draw %'s. First, you said we will have wild/standard modes...and I was disappointed, because the Blizzard of my childhood wouldn't do some silly, lazy, Twitch/stream catering, garbage move like this -- they would balance every single card they release and have one mode. But I kept playing. Then, you changed arena to standard, and I seriously couldn't believe this decision. STUPID. LESS FUN. Year of the...who gives a !@#$. Stream community sucks, competitive hearthstone sucks. Competitive HS...seriously? IT'S ALL THE SAME DECKS. 0 SKILL. AM I TAKING CRAZY PILLS?!? Also, bring player housing to WoW and no more tab targeting. Include an option to leave as a group in Overwatch so I don't have to check that stupid box every freaking time. Come on, obvious quality of life change. Allow folks to queue for coop in SC2. Idk why noone plays HotS...10 minute queues for ranked. D3 is good. tl/dr rant about standard arena and other Blizzard gamesSoultergeist7 5h
6h Arena is complete garbage Wow, so glad I stopped playing arena months ago. I use to love arena. I have quite a few 12 wins and even a number of 12-0s. This is garbage now though. Mage after mage after mage.TheDukeOfTBC6 6h
16h Casual Arena So I tried out Arena for the first time with the free ticket. We made a Rogue deck, since we didn't know that Mage dominates the game. Anyway, we took our best guesses at the drafting and ended up wining 4 games (plus the freebie), not bad for a first time I suppose. The whole run seemed pretty fun and we thought about trying it some more. We watched a few videos (from Kripp and Amaz) to get a better understanding of how it works. And we're planning to get that arena draft cheater that gives you a value for each card, making it easier to draft. But we're really wary of investing 150 gold into a run when we are so inexperienced. How about adding a casual mode for arena? No cost entry and no rewards. Well, maybe they could count the wins toward the 3 crowns for 10 gold or something. That way, casual noobs like us could play it and get some experience before jumping into the full gambling version.Skruff11 16h
17h Going 2nd and no 1-2-3 I don't know if it's just bad luck or predetermined loss but I have gone second 8 games in a row and not having any early game on either run. All 8 games I didn't get to play a card till turn 4 or 5 and my opponents played on curve the entire game and the only classes I faced was mage, paladin, rogue.Ubba3 17h
1d Arena cards penalizations info on screen It will be handy if we can see on the Arena screen the removed and penalized cards, and the percentages based on the card type. Mostly, because new players have no idea those penalizations exist, nor where to find the information. I think it is not fair for new players to draft and arena without a warning of the existing penalizations.MaximusAR0 1d
1d bestcard loveandhate #bestcard vicious fledgling is an awesome card!! I love when I can get one because I can go face and easily win `-´ I don't like when players play it against me because I cant win, but it's life. #loveandhateBatman0 1d
1d Netherspite historian Does anyone else think this card is almost as busted as stonehill defender? Either I'm being really lucky or it just offers other one of deathwings nearly 75% of times..dhowl5 1d
1d Having issues or Easy Win? A user by the name of GoofyBaller wouldn't move but the game never ended their turn and I was forced to quit. I'm just trying to figure out if that would be considered someone trying to get an easy Arena win or actual technical issues just in case it happens on my end as well. KisaKey2 1d
1d Legendaries in Arena? Horribly unfair? This Paladin seriously just won because he had an Alexstraza and a Deathwing. A Deathwing into a topdeck Blessing of Might doing 16 damage to the 15 HP I had due to Alexstraza. Are you serious? Why the hell does this guy have two legendaries that perfectly destroy me? Why? Why am I matched against this? I didn't get two legendaries. I didn't get one legendary. Why do I have to play against some idiot who gets two lucky legendaries? Why? Why Blizzard? Why do you do this to me? If I'm going to die to legendaries in Arena, at least give me some in my draft so I don't feel like I just got !@#$ on by the luckiest human being on the planet. Thanks for that.Lingonius12 1d
1d [Suggestion] 13 wins arenas for August FF The free win is obviously great, but leaderboard-challengers have some trouble with the free arena win during the frost festival, since it will affect the leaderboard results a lot. If it counts, players farming for the leaderboard during the Frost Festival have a huge advantage. If it doesn't count, it means your maximum number of wins is 11. It has a smaller impact, and the meta tends to be a little easier with more "casual arenists" around, but it is still a little issue. For the August part of the Frost Festival, why not erase the free wins from the leaderboards results, and make the max number of wins by run 13 instead of 12 ? This way, the results on the leaderboard would match the real player results. Of course, I understand it is not necessarily an easy thing to do, but if it's possible, it would be nice.PouletRageux4 1d
1d Longer grace period for disconnect. I recently was declared the loser of an arena match due to a disconnect. I reconnected reasonably quickly--at most I would have roped my next turn. But apparently this was enough for the game to not even give me a chance to reconnect and declare me the loser. Why? We were 10 turns into the game. Clearly I was not AFK. Why not give me more than a single turn to reconnect? In fact, come to think of it, why have any finite wait period for a disconnect? If your opponent is repeatedly skipping his turn, the game should be over in short order anyways unless you literally have no way to win. In which case you probably *should* lose.petrie9111 1d
1d Arena idea Assign point values or multipliers to cards and classes based on power level and performance. A player given nothing but junk would have a higher multiplier at the end meaning they don't have to win as many matches to do alright. At the same time if people just try to draft all the best cards and best classes they have to reach a higher level to get better rewards. They could do a certain win cutoff to negate that so winning enough negates or removes the penalty. Game modes should be fun not a tedius chore.Zlumpy2 1d
1d Arena play mode adjustment people should be able to swap their deck with their opponents deck and play an extra game. If the person still loses the second game, then it can be counted as a loss, otherwise, it should be counted as a draw against with his opponent. In this way, it's more fair that both player can play the same deck and 2 games decide a winner.dragonhunter3 1d
1d Am I lucky or...? It was my 2nd arena run ever and I went 5-3 (4-3 to be honest, cause 1 win was for free). I was playing Pally thou. And I was using http://www.heartharena.com/tierlist for drafting. What do you think about my score? Is it decent in those circumstances or what?Espequer3 1d
1d WTF????? I had easy lethal on my next turn and I apparently got disconnected, but there was no sign that I was disconnected. I thought I was just waiting for my opponent to finish his turn, and I actually thought he was just being an !@#$%^- and not hitting the End Turn button. Finally I realized it had been WAY more than a minute and a half, so I closed the app and re-started it, just to find that several turns had passed and he demolished me. I would have won that game fair and square, but apparently the game froze up without giving me any sign that it had. Now I ended up with an arena loss that I shouldn't have had!!!!! WTF?????CeruleanSky4 1d
1d Rogue or Paladin for Arena Would you choose Rogue or Paladin for arena? Why?CeruleanSky6 1d
1d Should we save our gold for Frozen Throne? I don't see the benefit of playing arena now, aside from the free win, because the packs you get are Un'Goro.Kappa10 1d
2d Cards that should be removed from arena Mage, Rogue, and Paladin are dominating arena again, as they have since classic (except that one time in MSG when Warlock was good). In the past, Blizzard removed cards from the arena pool to try to deal with this fact. I think it's time it happened again. I believe removing these cards from the arena pool will make it a better experience for all. Mage Firelands Portal Mage has always been the best class for the same reason: ultra-strong removal. Firelands Portal is yet another in a line of powerful Mage kill spells, but is unique in that it doesn't even lose tempo due to the minion it summons. Mage doesn't need the help, and removing such a powerful card from common should help reign the class in. Primordial Glyph Being able to split the cost of a Flamestrike, Meteor, or Firelands Portal over two turns is a huge boon, and makes playing around Mage's extensive removal suite even harder. Arena needs less massively swingy RNG effects, not more. Rogue Vilespine Slayer Assassinate is a fine card in arena. Vilespine Slayer is, for all intents and purposes, Assassinate with a free 3/4. This is far too strong, even at epic. A single Vilespine Slayer can easily decide a game, and like Mage, Rogue does not hurt for removal options. Paladin Spikeridged Steed Power Word: Tentacles is playable if unexciting. Spikeridged Steed asks you to pay just 1 more for taunt and a 4-mana minion. This is simply too much value for arena, where value is hard to come by. Paladin can discover Tirion from Stonehill Defender. It doesn't need this, too. Priest none Priest seems like it's in a good place Warlock Drain Life This card is just so weak. It could cost 2 and still be bad. I'm honestly surprised it survived the first round of card removal. Shaman Wicked Witchdoctor There's just not enough support for this. Shaman isn't going to be chaining spells and totem tribal is practically nonexistent. Shaman has some cards that are only situationally good, but this is just always bad. Hunter Smuggler's Crate and Hidden Cache Handbuff is much worse than board buff, and Smuggler's Crate asks you to have a specific card type in your hand to even be played. There is no Hunter common I would take this over. Hidden Cache is somehow even worse, being slower and costing more. Druid Jade Idol and Jade Blossom I understand that Blizzard would be reluctant to do this given that Jade was a marquee mechanic of MSG. But unlike Shaman and Rogue, who have Jade cards that are independently playable, Druid's Jade cards are only good with critical mass. And with MSG no longer having the frequency boost, it's just not possible to do in arena. Warrior Iron Hide and Public Defender I don't know why Warrior keeps getting atrocious class cards at common, but it seems to be a constant of new sets. With a terrible hero power and a poor card pool, it's no wonder Warrior is perennially bottom of the heap. Honestly there's probably even more cards worth removing, but we could at least start with things I wouldn't take over Wisp. Neutral Vicious Fledgling I know that they reduced its frequency by 50%, but that's still 50% more than it should be appearing. Arena decks cannot count on having solid removal or curves like constructed decks do, so having a 3-drop that says "answer me or lose" is ridiculous. Blizzard says they wanted to keep in "story cards", but the only story this card tells is "screw this, I'm playing Shadowverse". Mind Control Tech In a format where value is hard-earned, stealing a minion is extremely powerful--there's a reason Mind Control costs 10. Arena can often get into board stalls where both sides have multiple minions, and having a 3 mana card spike your Bog Creeper is game-ending. Arena should have fewer cards where the entire game is swung by a roll of the die. Further, MCT particularly hurts Shaman, a class already struggling in the arena metagame. In my opinion, the removal of these cards would make Arena a better experience for all, both by increasing class diversity and by reducing the number of games decided by pure chance. Also this is the third time I've made this topic because it kept getting deleted. Why?petrie9117 2d
2d New Arena...No Thanks! As long as its a RNG frackfest with no synergy Ill stick to MTG Draft... The only thing I still play here is a bit of ladder doing dailies. Even that is mostly like playing Solitaire, no skill without a interrupt phase. Decks that kill you by 5 or cards that get nerfed before they even last a rotation (Rogue Quest) if my buddy did not play this I would probably not be playing at all. Only good news lately is some of the booster card legendary change.BlizArmy1 2d
2d Opponent hands empty and.... If i have my opponent to 0 cards in hand and is maybe 1 or 2 turns away from death why is it they always top deck the 1 perfect answer over and over till i lose? Normally I wouldn't be to quick to complain about it but when it happens so often it's just very displeasing, for example just had a match against a mirror paladin, 0 cards in hand he draws as follows, spikeridged steed, spikeridged steed, spikeridged steed, dino size and wins, i'd also like to say i drafted only 3 spells that are summon recruits and 1 hammer of wrath.Ubba1 2d
2d Rogue or Paladin for Arena op as filyanm0 2d
2d remove paladin and mage from arena op as filyanm0 2d
2d Disgusting game Mage has six health, I'm playing Paladin. He has a Tortollan on the board that cleared my board with blizzard and the 3-Mana 4-3 that makes secrets cost 0 on the turn. I use my Rallying Blade and go face, only has one card in his hand. Guess what he topdecks? Alextrasza, and then he kills my other minions with the two minions he has. I play Ultrasaur (I drafted it cause my other two options were awful, and for the memes), I know he doesn't have a big removal spell since I played a big minion prior to his hand being one card and he couldn't remove it during that period. I also had an adapt spell and two extra damage so I could still pull off lethal or get poisonous and remove a taunt and still maintain board control. He draws into meteor (his second one). Like, I've never been so mad in my life, it didn't make any sense to me how lucky this guy was. He didn't do anything spectacular like play around my minions or possible cards I might have drafted or had in my deck (I had no spikeridged steed's, one dinosize). Nothing, this guy just did an average mage game where he removes my board endlessly, had decent starting cards in the early game, and in three turns as I'm winning he swings the entire game with half of his deck not even drawn. Like seriously, what the !@#$?Ropemaster0 2d
2d remove paladin and mage from arena op as filyanm1 2d
2d Arena is Garbage Random effects/discover overpowered. Going 1st vs 2nd difference. Everything to do with draft luck. Members of team 5 who made no significant changes to this game mode in over 3 years should be looking for new jobs.Olichius0 2d
2d tried druid 12-3Ropemaster0 2d
2d Hallucinated Aya? Here I'm doing my free arena run for the cold festival, and I've got a druid. A few turns in, the rogue I'm playing against uses hallucination. Fine. Then two turns later, he plays Aya Blackpaw and it says it was gained from hallucination. She wasn't even in my deck, let alone is she a class card. How did that happen?Rasmfrackn3 2d
3d Drafted renounce deck Kept picking warlock cards and finally got renounce. First time getting many warlock cards for renounce. So far, defeated a legend Paladin as a Rogue and mountain giant Rogue as Shaman. Renounce is my favorite card and able to play it in arena is thrilling. 11 Neutral, 19 Warlock. 63.5 mid-range. http://i.imgur.com/Ljsv38r.jpgCorpfox2 3d
3d My free Arena game. When I first entered the arena tab it said that I had a free game since it was my first time playing, because of that I didn't want to waste it since it was my first time playing Hearthstone. With the Frozen Festival giving me a free arena game does it replace the one I previously had or will it be available for my next round of arena?PassiveRage4 3d
3d Question: Free Arena run ticket Will the free arena run ticket be available/valid after the Frost Festival ends? I want to get at least 2 Frozen Throne Packs from my arena runs rather than Un'Goro packs. I do not mind forfeiting the free win in Arena. I would appreciate it if a HS dev could respond.Sentinel240 3d
3d Normalize Rarity Distribution Title basically says it all but I'll elaborate but keep it brief. Six consecutive drafts and I haven't pulled 1 legendary. The one I just completed ended 4-3 and not my best showing but of those 7, 4 had legendaries that they played (other 3 may have had them in deck), 2 of which were Prince Malchazar and every legendary that was played (drafted or generated) swung the turn massively. I am entirely aware legendaries are not in and of themselves strong just because they're orange but often the best draft worthy cards are orange. Especially ones with unique effects and mechanics. All I'm asking is to normalize the distribution with legendaries and to a lesser extent epics. Give every draft exactly 0, 1, or 2 legendaries (same for all players) and a small range for epics (say 3-5). Seems like a simple, reasonable request.MakataDoji8 3d
3d WILD cards in STANDARD Arena If Arena is standard, why am I still playing against people with Wild cards in their decks? This is getting downright ridiculous. Taking losses for no reason. When Blizzard made the format Standard, all the people with wild decks should have been forced to retire with some compensation.XAgentxBlueX7 3d
3d remove paladin and mage from arena op as filyanm0 3d
3d Remove Viscious Fledging from arena entirely Lost another game entirely because I couldn't answer a turn 3 fledgling. Can this card be nerfed into the ground or just removed entirely please?Valshaw6 3d
3d Free Arena! ... Very first game, Warlock with Jaraxxus, Malchezaar, his host of legendaries, and Deathwing just for good measure. Second game was a priest who went to the rope every single turn and won by having back to back to back to back removal and because Dirty Rat pulled out a Deathwing. I uninstalled this game immediately. This game is pure garbage.Revculter1 3d
3d When will the pack reward be Frozen Thrones? Because I'm not spending gold for an arena run even with the free win unless I get a Frozen pack instead of Un'GoroMerriless1 3d
3d remove paladin and mage from arena op as filyanm1 3d