Beginning of month, newbies should avoid ranked play

New Player Tavern
Everyone is starting over with the new month, so until the better players move back up the ranks you will be seeing high powered decks full of epic & legendary cards in the 25-20 ranks. It would be much less frustrating to just avoid them for a few days, try casual, it might be a bit easier until then.
I'm using a Level 1 Warlock and running into Warrior Control. Maybe it's my win rate. In casuals I mean.
As newbie myself i've only been playing about a week now. Oddly i actually like it. Just gives me more incentive to improve and become more tactful in my actions. Already got back my old rank +1 :D
06/02/2014 02:13 AMPosted by FunkyMonk
As newbie myself i've only been playing about a week now. Oddly i actually like it. Just gives me more incentive to improve and become more tactful in my actions. Already got back my old rank +1 :D

You mean tactical, surely. Tactful will get you nowhere around here :P
That is the wrong mentality, play the guys with the sup'd up decks, then laugh evilly when you win, that is what I do.

P.S only been playing this game for 10 days
06/02/2014 04:31 AMPosted by Garn
You mean tactical, surely. Tactful will get you nowhere around here :P

I guess i do :D (just searched the meaning of tactful and it's 100% different from how i meant it)

06/02/2014 05:05 AMPosted by Kidanime3d
That is the wrong mentality, play the guys with the sup'd up decks, then laugh evilly when you win, that is what I do.

With my shaman deck i had 7 minions on the field, on the final turn i would finish of my opponent. He only had like 6 health left and what do i do, i draw a bloodlust. Ofc i played it with a nice evil laugh.
06/02/2014 01:51 AMPosted by Amelia
I'm using a Level 1 Warlock and running into Warrior Control. Maybe it's my win rate. In casuals I mean.

Yes, casual only cares about your overall win rate with all heroes. It doesn't take any account of your specific hero's level or what deck you are using when matchmaking.
06/02/2014 12:31 AMPosted by TimHobbit
Everyone is starting over with the new month, so until the better players move back up the ranks you will be seeing high powered decks full of epic & legendary cards in the 25-20 ranks. It would be much less frustrating to just avoid them for a few days, try casual, it might be a bit easier until then.

Wow. I just just made a thread titled "HURRY UP NOOBS"; this is probably a more civil approach.

EDIT: Just kidding, you are bad and slow.
I'm pretty sure that 25-21 is mostly cleared out because of ranking carry-over. You'll see a few like the "All Gold" aggro && Multi [good] legends decks but if you're good you'll probably be OK.

I still wound up losing 4 stars tonight. Too many Warlock Agro decks and not enough weapons to evenize the score early. After retooling I started winning some again but when I face non-rush decks I suspect I'll get nuked and have to switch around again.

Then again that IS part of the game .... I was just too slow on the uptake and saw too many GOOD decks [For example playing Ragnos as Polymorph bait to get to their GOOD cards] :)
Newbie, here, and I totally agree with the OP.

I've been playing the game for nearly three weeks now. After the first week, I started playing the ranked matches. At first, as I progressed through the first few bottom ranks, I did good. Then, as I got up past rank 20 and started facing more experienced and better equipped opponents - and especially as I started losing stars after losing matches - it became a slog for me. But I persevered, and I eventually got up to rank 17. Woo-hoo!

Then the month ended and the ranks reset. (What...? I didn't know that was going to happen.)

Whoa! Suddenly, in the bottom ranks again, I'm facing opponent after opponent who is not only way more experienced than me, but way better equipped than me as well. I've accumulated several blues and a few purples in my collection, though none of my decks are built with a concentration of them. But these opponents I'm facing now are playing with decks PACKED with blues and purples, and always - always! - sporting an orange. Now I can't get past level 20, no matter how many times I try. It's been like beating my head against a wall, the past couple of days.

So, I'll be avoiding the ranked matches for the rest of the week or so.
Tactful will get you nowhere around here :P

Tact will get you everywhere in here! I like tact.
06/05/2014 03:34 PMPosted by Daxxarri
Tactful will get you nowhere around here :P

Sued for false advertisement.
I did fine until i got to 20 and now i just keep running into players with much better decks. Almost beat a couple of them. Almost beat a warlock until he popped 3 legendaries at the very end. I figured this was happening since the ranking reset.
Not to bump an old topic, but if anybody is wondering if this is still true in 2017... it very much is. Even the 25-20 ranks are a nightmare during the first days of the month, with decks full of legendaries (3, 4, 5 or more)
Ah , !@#$ another necomancer !
It's definately still true in 2017 especially the first few days.
06/06/2014 10:52 AMPosted by Ulyanasaurus
06/05/2014 03:34 PMPosted by Daxxarri

Sued for false advertisement.

IKR, I was like look a blue post. Someone made a comment on how bad the ladder on the first of the month.....
But it was so much more interesting to get to Rank 20, this time. I mostly won my games through stupid misplays and dumb luck. It's hardly challenging if you wait till the middle of the month.
I think to make the experience of ranked better is once u make it to rank 5 u can only drop to 15 it keeps the filter nice and clean if ya know what i mean and the other less experienced have a less harder time but that's my food for thought
03/02/2017 04:54 AMPosted by Wrathblade
I think to make the experience of ranked better is once u make it to rank 5 u can only drop to 15 it keeps the filter nice and clean if ya know what i mean and the other less experienced have a less harder time but that's my food for thought

Update 7.1 (Year of the Mammoth?) is supposed to bring new "floors" to ranked: 15, 10, and 5.

IIUC, right now there are only two "floors": 20 and Legend.

I assume that the way "floors" work in the ranking system currently ( http://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Ranked ) will change because it would defeat the whole purpose of new "floors" if a rank 5 still starts at rank 17 in the next season.

If it was me I would use a old season "floor" rank - 3 (what you get at rank 20 currently) as the base line. So a rank 5 would have rank 8 baseline (with higher ranks getting more stars), rank 10 would start at rank 13, and rank 15 start at 18.

While not perfect it would stop the insane current situation of a rank 1 starting out at rank 16 when the new season rolls around.