Wacom tablet pen support has been removed with patch 3.1.010357

Mobile Bug Report
I have found a partial solution!

You need to adjust the wacom pen settings in whatever software was included with your wacom.

My software is called "Wacom Desktop Center". You then go into "pen settings", then to "mapping" and change the mode from "pen" to "mouse". This makes the wacom pen behave like a mouse... so you lose the cool feature that the wacom tablet is best for, but you can still use the tablet at least. Hopefully they fix it so we can use the tablet normally!
Not sure I've posted this here, have in other threads like it, but as you point out, this is not an issue Blizzard needs to sort out, as this is an issue with how the device drivers are interpreting said device.

If the pen, or any other input device, requires special drivers to be understood by the OS of the device, and thus correctly send signals to things like Hearthstone, that's not something Blizzard will be able to control or code for, since it is not something they designed. That's up to the device creators, or device manufacturer.

People will need to contact Wacom about this.
If you read the thread, you'll see that Hearthstone previously supported pen tablets just fine, up until the point where it was broken by a Hearthstone update. The argument that they will not be able to "control or code for" it isn't valid. Even Blizzard acknowledged that "the native functionality was broken with the latest Unity upgrade".

Furthermore, issues like this occurring with other programs is very rare. The issue being Hearthstone-exclusive makes it unlikely that Wacom is in a position to resolve it on their end without even worse side-effects.
04/04/2017 01:00 PMPosted by Ezidnox
If you read the thread, you'll see that Hearthstone previously supported pen tablets just fine

Um... no.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/hearthstone/topic/19136283676?page=3#post-41

Sapperwix
Quality Assurance
Unfortunately we do not officially support pen use...

The fact that pens worked was a function of the pen's interpretation code, NOT specific coding in Hearthstone.

up until the point where it was broken by a Hearthstone update.

Again, no. From that same link...

Sapperwix
Quality Assurance
...the native functionality was broken with the latest Unity upgrade.

This means that it was not the Hearthstone code which "broke" functionality, but the interpretation between Hearthstone and the system's OS which the Unity engine does.

Sure, Hearthstone uses the Unity engine, so indirectly someone might say a change to the Unity engine is connected, but is not Blizzard's fault since they did not code the Unity engine.

The argument that they will not be able to "control or code for" it isn't valid. Even Blizzard acknowledged that "the native functionality was broken with the latest Unity upgrade".

Again, emphasis on Unity.

The issue being Hearthstone-exclusive makes it unlikely that Wacom is in a position to resolve it on their end without even worse side-effects.

A pen is an input device, just like a mouse, or a gamepad. Instructions of 'move the pointer left', 'left click registered', are generic commands. Thus if, in this case a pen, isn't being interpreted correctly, that's because it's not speaking a language the game understands. Not that the game is doing something wrong.

Might be wrong *shrug shrug*, but in a case like this the manufacturer of the device, not what the device is used on, should control the input.

Consider Hearthstone like a piece of paper. The paper will 'interpret' an object making a mark from the center to the left of the paper the same. Saying something like 'hey, when I use crayons the mark is fine, but when I use this colored marker the line goes to the right' and then blaming the paper for that mistake is... well, crazytalk if you ask me.
Though I don't want to make this a huge argument about semantics, with "supported" I meant "worked". The fact that it worked in the past means it is something Unity can fix, and that it's not something that has to be raised with Wacom.

The problem originating from Unity is not relevant to consumers. We're using a product Blizzard provides, and Blizzard is responsible for the libraries that they select. If Blizzard feels this is something they want to resolve, they are in a position to talk to the Unity developers and get it on their backlog.

Another reason why contacting Wacom is unlikely to have any use, is that they already provide settings to make the pen tablet function pretty much exactly like a mouse. This does make Hearthstone recognise the input, but cripples non-Hearthstone use and is therefore also not a good solution.

I feel this is going off-topic though. Blizzard already stated that despite it not being officially supported they were looking into this, and arguing without knowing the underlying details is hardly going to improve anything.
04/06/2017 10:23 AMPosted by Ezidnox
Though I don't want to make this a huge argument about semantics, with "supported" I meant "worked". The fact that it worked in the past means it is something Unity can fix, and that it's not something that has to be raised with Wacom.

The problem originating from Unity is not relevant to consumers. We're using a product Blizzard provides, and Blizzard is responsible for the libraries that they select. If Blizzard feels this is something they want to resolve, they are in a position to talk to the Unity developers and get it on their backlog.

Another reason why contacting Wacom is unlikely to have any use, is that they already provide settings to make the pen tablet function pretty much exactly like a mouse. This does make Hearthstone recognise the input, but cripples non-Hearthstone use and is therefore also not a good solution.

I feel this is going off-topic though. Blizzard already stated that despite it not being officially supported they were looking into this, and arguing without knowing the underlying details is hardly going to improve anything.

yes! same with my ipod 5 reduced screen size that they said they were going to fix in November seriously three major updates yet still no fix wtf?
Greetings. I suffered with the same issue a long time, but today I found a solution to another problem which also solved this one.

Here's my fix:
1) Open 'Wacom Tablet Properties' (you can just search for it)
2) Go to 'Grip Pen' -> 'Mapping'
3) Uncheck 'Use Windows Ink'

This will probably help you if you're having problems with other games as well (pen tap not registering as a click)
I'm using Windows 10 and Intuos 4 pro with recent drivers, this probably won't work with other platforms.

Hope this helps some of you :)