Your idea on an early game minion for priest

Play Mode Discussion
1 2 3 5 Next
Title pretty much says it all. What is an ideal early game (1-2) minion for priest? Iv seen many say priest needs early game minions. So I want to hear your thoughts on what effect/stat would be fitting for the class.
2 mana 2/3: Whenever a character is healed, gain 1 health.

Been thinking of that one for a while, would like to see what it would do. Overpowered? Maybe. But it should enable quite a few different avenues of play. In the early game, it would contest 1-drops and stick around, allowing for some snowballing value if not dealt with too quickly. Turn 1 if your opponent plays a 2/1, you coin this out on 1 and heal it on 2, and now it's a 2/4 and you're up a card.

Lategame, there is some major combo potential with mass healing and Inner Fire or Confuse. Maybe not enough to make those kind of decks work, but I think Priest needs more minions that have some of the aspects of cards like Lightspawn that aren't quite as bad as the existing options.
10/31/2016 08:55 PMPosted by Mand

I like where this is going.
1 mana 1/1
Battlecry: enter shadowform

2 mana 3/2 taunt
Deathrattle: restore 3 health to your hero
Funnel Frog
1 mana 1/3
Whenever a character is healed gain +1 attack per health healed.
<insert random name> 1M, 2/4
Enrage: gain -2 attack.

In short, this is a minion that, when damaged, has 0 attack. Gives Priest something to potentially heal on T2, that they would WANT to play on T1, without worrying about combo potential to get reasonable value out of (see: Cleric).

<insert random name> 3M 2/6
Taunt. Deathrattle: Your opponent draws a card, it costs (X) less.

Deathlord 2.0, slightly weaker stats, slightly stronger (for the opponent) effect. X would probably be 1 or 2 imo.

Posted something along those lines for both before, but I think they would be decent additions, and would address the MAJOR flaw with Priests atm (early game minions that can contest the board).

In short, this is a minion that, when damaged, has 0 attack. Gives Priest something to potentially heal that they would WANT to play on T1 without worrying about combo potential to get reasonable value out of (see: Cleric).

The problem I see with this is that heals are restoring the card to usefulness, not advancing it to superiority.

If there is one major problem with Priest, it is that almost all of their good things are "win more" - once you're behind, it's very hard to come back from being behind. If this minion ever gets damaged, you're committed to healing it or it's a totally worthless card. Your opponent doesn't even have to kill it, just leave it alone on the weak threat that you'll spend your hero power letting it attack. There is a reason Argent Watchman and Silithid Swarmer are bad cards. Giving Argent Watchman an effective 1-mana discount doesn't make it a good card.
10/31/2016 10:02 PMPosted by Mand

In short, this is a minion that, when damaged, has 0 attack. Gives Priest something to potentially heal that they would WANT to play on T1 without worrying about combo potential to get reasonable value out of (see: Cleric).

The problem I see with this is that heals are restoring the card to usefulness, not advancing it to superiority.

If there is one major problem with Priest, it is that almost all of their good things are "win more" - once you're behind, it's very hard to come back from being behind. If this minion ever gets damaged, you're committed to healing it or it's a totally worthless card. Your opponent doesn't even have to kill it, just leave it alone on the weak threat that you'll spend your hero power letting it attack. There is a reason Argent Watchman and Silithid Swarmer are bad cards. Giving Argent Watchman an effective 1-mana discount doesn't make it a good card.

I see your point but, as a concept and die hard Priest player, its at least workable. Its either going to eat a removal/be a priority target like Wyrm & Trogg, or it will be dealing consistent damage with an effect that synergises with the class. How long are you going to allow yourself, or your minions, to be smacked about before removing it? Leave it alone its 2 damage per turn. Damage it, without killing it, you just wasted damage/mana for no gain.

Concepts be hard, but I certainly wouldnt mind a similar card in a few of my Priest decks.
Well the idea is fine, just the power level isn't. The cards to rescue Priest can't be "crap until you do other inefficient things" - they need to be efficient on their own, and then get amplified by Priest doing Priest things.

0 versus 1 attack is a huge difference. At 0, it takes one hit from a Possessed Villager and now demands you spend 2 mana on it instead of on an actually efficient minion. Meanwhile the zoolock is crapping out tons more minions while you're stuck playing catch-up topping off this minion just so you are allowed to trade with it.

Make it 1 mana 2/4 with -1 attack enrage, and it might be doable. Zero attack is just too big a deal.

But again, keep in mind, synergies should push a card above and beyond. I hate to use it as an example because it's crazily overpowered, but look at Tunnel Trogg. It's fine on its own, and becomes scary when combined with Overload in the deck. If it were instead like Argent Watchman, only it would only get to attack on a turn where you are Overloaded, it would just be a bad card.
2 mana 7/7
2 mana 1/12

Whenever a source would deal damage to you or another minion you control, prevent one of it.
10/31/2016 10:17 PMPosted by Mand
Well the idea is fine, just the power level isn't. The cards to rescue Priest can't be "crap until you do other inefficient things" - they need to be efficient on their own, and then get amplified by Priest doing Priest things.

But its the opposite, imo. Its forcing your OPPONENT to do inefficient things to address a threat, just like Wyrm/Trogg do.

10/31/2016 10:17 PMPosted by Mand
Make it 1 mana 2/4 with -1 attack enrage, and it might be doable. Zero attack is just too big a deal.

Stats are obviously untested, but I believe that would be too strong. Look at Voidwalker, 1/3 taunt. Now taunt is worth, for early game minions, 1 stat point. I have a "soft" taunt with 1/4 stats MINIMUM for the same cost.

The whole point of this suggestion is to give Priests a T1 minion, that synergises with their T2 (Hero Power more often than not) play.

You are comparing cards WHICH CANNOT ATTACK baseline to one which CAN as long as its at 4H, a fairly easy task most of the time for Priests.
Posted this before, but..

Disciple of Will
(2)
2/3
Battlecry: The next minion you play gets 0/+2.
2 mana 2/5 taunt, can't attack, can't be the target of spells or hero powers. circle/nova could still heal it and might be interesting in resurrect priest.
10/31/2016 10:30 PMPosted by OpenWound
2 mana 2/5 taunt, can't attack, can't be the target of spells or hero powers. circle/nova could still heal it and might be interesting in resurrect priest.

Interesting concept, I will give you that. The problem I see is it doesnt synergise with Hero Power & PW:S, which is a necessity imo for early game priest minions atm.
not a minion but a spell:

Mind fly 2 mana: deal 1 damage to all enemy minions, restore 1 health to all friendly characters
10/31/2016 10:36 PMPosted by Critcat
The problem I see is it doesnt synergise with Hero Power & PW:S
intended in design making it strong but not broken. Also have to realize that most 1 and 2 drops that are useful were nerfed along with ways to handle it like abusive and rockbitter.
10/31/2016 08:57 PMPosted by lorddiablo
10/31/2016 08:55 PMPosted by Mand

I like where this is going.

There's Arcane anomaly which no control list plays. Granted AA is a 2/1 at first, but the buff condition is alot easier to meet because you are more likely to use a removal/ pw shield rather than HP. A 2 mana version *might* be only slightly better
10/31/2016 10:30 PMPosted by OpenWound

In my opinion it should be targetable by spells and hero powers because having that ability makes it have an abnormal amount of card text, as well as making it less interactive.

I also don't think being able to use the priest hero power and support cards would make it too strong, since it still can't attack without being silenced, and it is vulnerable to enemy spells.

Also, maybe this should be a neutral.
2 mana spell

Deal 2 damage to a friendly minion, or give 2 power to an enemy minion, put a copy of a random card in your opponents hand into your hand; it costs 1 less