Your idea on an early game minion for priest

Play Mode Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5
11/01/2016 03:41 PMPosted by StorminMike
2-mana 2/3.

On your opponent's turn, whenever a friendly minion takes damage, evenly distribute the damage between all friendly characters.

Interesting. I wonder if a new mechanic could be introduced ... Perhaps "Guardian".

2 mana ; 2/3 ; Guardian.

Guardian definition: Chose target friendly minion. All damage and hostile spells directed at target minion are suffered by the Guardian instead.

Edit: I think the effect would be easy to abuse but at least it's interesting ...
Scrubwell
1 mana
0 attack 10 health
After each turn, this card takes 2 damage

At least now priests can do something other than pass or use their hero power to heal something other than their opponents face for the first 3 turns of the game.
I like the idea of some of the old spells becoming a battlecry on a minion. It could add more consistency to certain archetypes.

For example a minion who makes another minion's attack equal to its health.

Darkshire alchemist is a decent card that sees play and is basically a 4/5 with flash heal battlecry. Same with onyx bishop.

On the other hand is like to see some more variety or new mechanics altogether.

And I really think a spell discovery minion would be amazing.
Vessel of Dissent
Common, 2-Mana 2/3
Battlecry: If your Hero is damaged, gain +1/+1.
One mana 1/3 restore 2 health. (it would combo nicely with injured blademaster).

The problem with Priest early game is heals are worthless until something is damaged.
2 Mana 2/4 Taunt Can't be targeted by spells or hero powers.

Hard powercreep but what else can preist use lol
11/02/2016 11:14 AMPosted by Tesla
2 Mana 2/4 Taunt Can't be targeted by spells or hero powers.

Hard powercreep but what else can preist use lol

I thought about something like this but even I think it may be a bit much early game. Surviving any of the 1-3 mana weapons [once], immunity to spells & hero powers, AND having a big body all at once all the time is too much even for me.

Seeing as how Priest has situational cards anyway though may be a way to justify some of this:

2 Mana ; 2/3 ; Can not be targeted by spells
Battlecry: If your opponent has more minions than you then gain Taunt.

I suspect still overpowered but at least it's not a 7/7 4 drop :)
11/02/2016 07:07 AMPosted by Pingu
11/02/2016 07:04 AMPosted by JeanBombeur
No! Just no!

1 mana 2/3s are just so overpowered against Aggro decks. Has anyone played against Zombie Chow ever?

I lost so many games on the first few turns because of that card combined with Deathlord. Back when GvG was popular, the ladder played out like Rock, Paper & Scissors when Control decks packed so much Aggro hate and lost to Midrange because they couldn't deal with bigger minions effectively. Granted, the ladder had this apparent balance. But the games felt so pointless when the outcome was this obvious.

For example: "Turn 1 Zombie Chow, GG".

You have to turn away from this deck archetype mentality and focus on build-around cards instead.

I hate to break it to you but aggro decks are not supposed to be the 'go to' deck for winning a match. A healthy meta is where every class has a viable midrange and control deck and aggro is a niche surprise tactic if your opponent has made his deck a bit too greedy.

Yeah, because countering Midrange with a Control deck is so effective...How else are you supposed to counter Midrange!? Aggro. Aggro is the solution. Unfortunately Spirit Claws and Maelstrom Portal are a thing.
11/01/2016 08:54 PMPosted by Flame
I'd like a 2 mana 2/3 Battlecry: Discover a spell.

This would help combat the Priest's spells being so situational - you can Discover one and choose based on the matchup.

Cards like Shadow Madness that are borderline (and even terrible cards like Mass Dispel) can be VERY useful in the right situation, especially when you don't have to actually include them in your deck.

I would try this one for sure.
Purity Golem, 1 cost, 3/3. Cant attack unless a character was healed this turn or you cast a purify.

Silenced Monk, 2 cost 3/2. Battlecry - Gain 1 health for each silence card in your hand. Reveal those silence cards.

Rainbow Unicorn, 3 cost, 3/4. Deathrattle - Add a purify to your hand.
More graveyard fun,

Spirit return 3 mana spell

Put a 1/1 copy of three friendly minions that have died this game onto the battlefield.

Sort of like Barnes but much less rng, would work well with draw cards/strong feathrattles, could also work in a silence deck and has synergy with N'Zoth for good measure
11/02/2016 03:19 PMPosted by JeanBombeur
11/02/2016 07:07 AMPosted by Pingu

I hate to break it to you but aggro decks are not supposed to be the 'go to' deck for winning a match. A healthy meta is where every class has a viable midrange and control deck and aggro is a niche surprise tactic if your opponent has made his deck a bit too greedy.

Yeah, because countering Midrange with a Control deck is so effective...How else are you supposed to counter Midrange!? Aggro. Aggro is the solution. Unfortunately Spirit Claws and Maelstrom Portal are a thing.

Had surprising luck with Purify Shadow priest. Granted I can't make the deck t0-1 on my own, and that I don't own a lot of legendaries BUT: An early mulligan to get Fairy Dragon or Ancient Statue/Purify/Silence really helps. I have had a few auto concedes to my Coin-Ancient Watcher, Purify combo. A turn 1 4/5 is beastly.

Also, the answer to the cycle of Control>Aggro>Midrange>Control is new mechanics. Not a perpetuating cycle. "How to handle Midrange" could be the Mage solution to "How to handle Aggro". Mage has a minion that reduces damage taken to the Hero to 1 damage per instance. This forces Aggro to trade, which drops the pressure, or Aggro loses out a lot of damage and then loses the board. In the same instance, a counter to spells or even better MANA would be a great way to stop Midrange. Maybe a 3 mana 4/4, Battlecry- Your opponent's spells cost 1 more mana if they are currently in the opponent's hands (to reduce the win condition issue). Maybe a reverse Arcane Golem. Just thinking. Don't mind me :)
2mana
3/3
Battlecry: give every minion in the board (including this) -1/-1

2 mana spell
Discover a minion from those which already died this game (by either player)