Yong Woo on Gadgetzan Pre-purchase Card Back

Community Discussion
Been seeing some questions regarding if there is a card back for pre-purchasing Mean Streets of Gadgetzan. There is no card back included with the Mean Streets of Gadgetzan pre-purchase. Producer Yong Woo posted a brief explanation regarding this here:

"Hey guys! Yong Woo here. I want to give you guys some context on why we are doing pre-purchase this way for Mean Streets.
Couple factors that we had to consider:
  • To be able to do in-game pre-purchase we currently have to do a patch
  • We would have to do the patch after we announce because otherwise the content would get datamined
  • Lead time for patches are significant and the timing window between BlizzCon and release is short

These factors contributed to us not doing pre-purchase at all for end of the year release in the past.
For Means Streets of Gadgetzan we wanted to give players an opportunity to get a great deal on a bunch of packs. Given the choice between doing nothing at all or providing a great offer on web only, we felt that it's better for the community to go ahead and make this deal available.
We are continuing to learn more about the best way to roll these out. I hope that sharing our thought process helps with our dialogue. Your feedback is really appreciated. Thanks everyone for your passion!"
Wow!

Thanks for this info and quick communication!

<3
Are they changing Gadgetzan in WoW to reflect having streets? Just curious, seeing as there is like one road that goes through Gadgetzan, not sure how there are that many gangs and mischevious people doing all this in a 100 sq foot village.
Thank you for the Quick reply!

I still dont see that as a reason they cannot add a cardback to all of the accounts that bought the pre purchase later when they update the game when they have more time after blizzcon.
So why can't you just add the card back to the prepurchase and introduce it in a later patch?

That's better than not getting a card back for a $50 purchase.
Thanks for the quick communication, but the lack of a cool card back with the pre-release bundle still falls short of expectations, and so I will not be buying with cash any of the new expansion, and I hope that falls short of Blizzard's exceptions, balancing everything out.
11/05/2016 12:48 PMPosted by Arcaddes
Are they changing Gadgetzan in WoW to reflect having streets? Just curious, seeing as there is like one road that goes through Gadgetzan, not sure how there are that many gangs and mischevious people doing all this in a 100 sq foot village.

Did Kara get changed to a disco theme dungeon? Nope!

Im somewhat glad theres no card back this time around, get to save 50 bucks this time and just use gold as I have in the past.
without cardback there is no point to pre purchase .
No point then... sounds just like Blizz got lazy
Thanks for the message, i actually appreciate someone from the developers addressing this even if it might seem like a minor gripe.

It also makes sense why the pre-order is web only, i was finding it weird why i couldn't do so in-game.

I would also echo the sentiment that a workaround could be done for those of us who pre-ordered, which i've already done.

It might seem like a small gesture, but as someone who loves the game, and therefore loves HS content in all forms, new heroes, card backs, etc, it would be nice if you guys could find a way to add a card back for MSG for us once the game gets patched.

I know a lot of us would appreciate it, C'Thun's Eyes is one of my favourite card backs, and i also really like the Karazhan one as well. I feel like every pre-order card back has just been top notch, and i actually lament not playing the game at the time the BRM and TGT ones were available.

Anyhow, just my 2 cents.
why dont you give us the cardback on release them, I understand about stuff been getting datamine but I dont get why not giving us a cardback at all, I will more that happy to wait until the release date to get my cardback, just simple dont give us anything using datamine as excuse it feels... lazy.
Such poor excuse. Why pre-purchase, then? It's not that great of a deal... I pre-purchased Whispers of the Old Gods because of the amazing card back; I'll just save gold for this one.
Thanks for the quick reply blizzard. Can we get a comment on if there are any chances of a cardback being released at a later date? Perhaps after the new expansion is put into place.

The Cardback was key in my investing in a pre-order back during Blackrock, TGT, Old Gods and Karazan. I pre-ordered automatically thinking you guys were going to have another cardback for this one, but I experienced buyers remorse when I found out there isn't one.
What savings do you reap if you pre-purchase? Assuming that once a patch comes through, and there is an Gadgetzan adventure in the game, buying Gadgetzan card packs in the store would be the same price, no?
This really is a poor excuse for just being lazy. I've purchased all of the expansions since Naxx and have come to expect the complimentary card back. The Blizzard marketing team needs find a new line of work with this kind of work ethic or lack there of. As a casual player, there is no reason to keep spending money on a game that refuses to value add their customers when the game itself has become very, very stale.
Ummm. Wasn't the lead time to The set released after 2015 Blizzcon like two weeks? You have over one month and the cards will all be revealed by the time the packs drop so what would there be to datamine at that point?
Appreciate the feedback! However this has now made me confirm that I won't be purchasing this deal. Sorry Blizzard.
I mean...you have to patch when you release the cards so...not really seeing the issue here.
Any special things coming up for the release? Like free packs, brawl with new cards etc?
You could also give a free card back to anyone who buys at least 1 pack when the set releases.

I have to say, the set looks awesome so far. Great cards (both from design and ranked play perspective), great art work.
11/07/2016 02:02 PMPosted by Flip
This really is a poor excuse for just being lazy. I've purchased all of the expansions since Naxx and have come to expect the complimentary card back. The Blizzard marketing team needs find a new line of work with this kind of work ethic or lack there of. As a casual player, there is no reason to keep spending money on a game that refuses to value add their customers when the game itself has become very, very stale.

Re-read the explanation - you didn't understand it. You also have a poor memory for someone who has purchased all of the expansions - the end of year release has never had a card back. LoE received a seasonal card back, and GvG received two. Now we know why. You can presumably guess how the December card back will be themed. Good luck on your recovery - the trauma of not being given free in-game cosmetics is usually not fatal, so I'm sure you'll live to aimlessly drama-post again in the future.