The worst thing about standard...

Play Mode Discussion
1 2 3 10 Next
Was promising players the classic set would never rotate. Discuss...
The worst thing about standard is that it has been implemented. Wild is fun and more balanced than standard at the moment. If they didn't do stupid nerfs across the time and actually fix broken cards, this game would have been awesome.
the 2 formats are a copy from magic the gathering....

Standard.
Modern.
Legacy.
Vintage.
Block Constructed.
Sealed Deck.
Booster Draft.
Rochester Draft.

they EVEN HAD THE BALLS TO USE THE SAME WORD......wtf?? bliz?????????

cant come up with your own ideas? stupid copy paste company...
I dont understand why people thumbs this down... Its actually true... Have people just honestly never played a ccg in their entire life....

Standard is supposed to have 4 rotating blocks to keep it fresh yearly..

I have said it before and I will say it and get buried for an obvious fact again... Classic remaining in Standard is fantastic for the new player base since they really only have to concentrate on classic packs to perform well in the near future...

But! This is not how Standard format actually is supposed to be lol..

Inb4 buried.. Dont care.. Try another ccg, your ignorance may bring you a false sense of bliss but dont be callin me a liar.
01/06/2017 09:49 AMPosted by Tunamelt
Was promising players the classic set would never rotate. Discuss...

Yes, you're exactly right. I wish they had waited another year to implement standard; they could've copied the way MTG does things now (no core set at all), instead of the way they used to.
Where is this news that the classic set will rotate? If this is true I think the big problem is people thought they could craft classic set legendaries and then get to use them forever in standard. People may have not made the same crafting decisions or crafted gadgetzan legendaries that they could use for a good period of time otherwise. have held off crafting him since he is class specific.

Wouldn't removing the classic set remove the very foundation of certain classes? I mean rogue no longer will have prep which is a core card and a very fun card. I suppose they won't need it since they can't play Edwin or Auctioneer. You thought hunter sucked? Wait until it doesn't have secrets, bows or savannah highmane.

If they remove classic set what they must be telling us is they are completely going to redesign and overhaul hearthstone. The classic set removes core iconic cards that archtypes are centered around. We essentially need new archtypes for each class and new cards that will change the very core of what each class is designed to do. Maybe it wouldn't be terrible but I have a feeling it could be.
01/06/2017 10:14 AMPosted by PartyPanda
I dont understand why people thumbs this down... Its actually true... Have people just honestly never played a ccg in their entire life....

I have said it before and I will say it and get buried for an obvious fact again... Classic remaining in Standard is fantastic for the new player base since they really only have to concentrate on classic packs to perform well in the near future...

Inb4 buried.. Dont care.. Try another ccg, your ignorance may bring you a false sense of bliss but dont be callin me a liar.

Even in magic, a huge portion of the standard format is cards that have been printed again and again for 20 years that remain in newer printings of the core sets year after year. Even if not exactly the same cards they make sure to have functionally similar cards every year. So it's good to have that baseline and it doesn't necessarily mean that decks don't change year to year.

like what other card games! i tried elder scrolls legends and it was terrible but it had better story line and apparently you get cards faster than HS. the graphic was so bad i had to uninstall it. imagine a 50 size deck and alot of them look the same.
01/06/2017 10:41 AMPosted by Mercutio

Even in magic, a huge portion of the standard format is cards that have been printed again and again for 20 years that remain in newer printings of the core sets year after year. Even if not exactly the same cards they make sure to have functionally similar cards every year. So it's good to have that baseline and it doesn't necessarily mean that decks don't change year to year.

=/
Dude I already covered that, and like I said they don't print a core set in MTG anymore.
I'd like to see a rotating core of cards (x Edition), like you see in Magic.

Jesus Christ, guys. lol
They don't print a core set in MTG anymore. Sorry for being a broken record, but you people keep posting this nonsense.
They won't do that cause of several reasons :
1- F2p players can't ever catch up unless they have Varian wrynn average arena win rate.
2- They are lazy to create important cards for each class like classic set
3- They have to reprint some old cards with different art once a while and this will have negative effects on players and they will feel like blizzard is milking the game even further .
4- They should redesign all of their quests that are around classic packs and replace the rewards with either gold or new packs and did i mention that they are lazy ?
01/06/2017 10:47 AMPosted by Sovereign
01/06/2017 10:41 AMPosted by Mercutio

=/
Dude I already covered that, and like I said they don't print a core set in MTG anymore.

Just gonna post this again because it should be getting upvoted. Maybe it was misunderstood? MTG does not print a core set anymore. It is NOT good to have that baseline.
<span class="truncated">...</span>

=/

Just gonna post this again because it should be getting upvoted. Maybe it was misunderstood? MTG does not print a core set anymore. It is NOT good to have that baseline.

Even though they don't do base sets anymore - admittedly I didn't know that when I posted before because I've been out of the loop for years - they do still reprint old cards in new sets to replace them. Every new set isn't 100% brand new cards. Even when they did base sets or core sets, the sets within each block also had reprints in them.

So yes, they do reprint cards to keep a baseline. And it is good.
Yeah, Classic needs to go!

The game feels super stale when you face Gadgetzan Auctioneer & Malygos shenanigans. Or when you see a Control Warrior play Brawl. I feel like Brawl is the only hard board clear Warrior will ever have. It limits design space so much because having more than 1 brawl effect would be so infuriating.

Reading the forums, I realize that the majority of the community wants to play their same old decks forever. You tell these people to play Wild and they frown like a child forced to eat vegetables.

So we'll probably never see an actual rotating format with no permanent cards because Blizzard wants to please everyone with one format: Standard. It would be smarter to offer more formats than Standard and Wild but Blizzard is stubborn.
01/06/2017 10:54 AMPosted by Sovereign
They don't print a core set in MTG anymore.

Like some people have said, MTG would reprint cards to reintroduce them back into standard. Just picked up isochron scepter in the latest Eternal Masters release. This is it's 4th release and it's even varied in rarity from Uncommon to Mythic Rare (currently Rare). MTG understands that some of their cards belong in specific releases (and some don't) and adjust accordingly.

Blizzard skipped the "reintroduction" step and kept Classic cards as a constant.
01/06/2017 02:20 PMPosted by The1Drummer

Like some people have said, MTG would reprint cards to reintroduce them back into standard. Just picked up isochron scepter in the latest Eternal Masters release. This is it's 4th release and it's even varied in rarity from Uncommon to Mythic Rare (currently Rare).

That's MTG for ya! What!? This uncommon card sees a lot of play? Let's reprint it and bump up the rarity to inflate its price. It's like 70% of playable cards must be rare or mythic. Because newbies must be crushed by fancy tournament decks that only elite players can afford.
01/06/2017 02:29 PMPosted by JeanBombeur

Like some people have said, MTG would reprint cards to reintroduce them back into standard. Just picked up isochron scepter in the latest Eternal Masters release. This is it's 4th release and it's even varied in rarity from Uncommon to Mythic Rare (currently Rare).

That's MTG for ya! What!? This uncommon card sees a lot of play? Let's reprint it and bump up the rarity to inflate its price. It's like 70% of playable cards must be rare or mythic. Because newbies must be crushed by fancy tournament decks that only elite players can afford.

A reprint with increased rarity wouldn't impact the price too much, usually. Making it harder to open a copy of a common or uncommon in a new set doesn't do anything for the hundreds of thousands of copies that they've already circulated.
No. but it maintains the price of the card.

So your $10 card stays $10, but it's easier to obtain.
Well

Like some people have said, MTG would reprint cards to reintroduce them back into standard. Just picked up isochron scepter in the latest Eternal Masters release. This is it's 4th release and it's even varied in rarity from Uncommon to Mythic Rare (currently Rare). MTG understands that some of their cards belong in specific releases (and some don't) and adjust accordingly.

Blizzard skipped the "reintroduction" step and kept Classic cards as a constant.

Well if I'm correct Magic was originally supposed to have an eternal set which is why they made Revised... The only issue with keeping Unlimited eternal was the few overly powerful cards.

And once Revised happened they apparently were OK just releasing the core set and modifying it to fill gaps their releases.

Further more didn't some change around 7th Ed happen so they could quit paying artist royalties.