Ending Support for Windows XP and Vista

Technical Support
1 2 3 5 Next
On October 24 of this year, we will be ending support for Windows XP and Windows Vista for Hearthstone.

Microsoft ceased mainstream support for these versions of Windows in 2009 and 2012, respectively, but since a decent portion of our audience was still using them at the time, we continued supporting them. However, there have been three major Windows releases since Vista, and at this point, the vast majority of our audience has upgraded to one of the newer versions.

After these older operating systems are no longer supported, the games will not run on them, so we encourage any players who are still using one of the older OSes to upgrade to a newer version.

We’ll be rolling out this change on a staggered schedule and will post further notices as we get closer to making the change for each game. Please see the other game sites for when Windows XP and Vista support will end for other Blizzard titles.
02/17/2017 01:16 PMPosted by Zeriyah
we encourage any players who are still using one of the older OSes to upgrade to a newer version.

We’ll be rolling out this change on a staggered schedule and will post further notices as we get closer to making the change for each game.

Thank you for letting those who may still be using the old OSes this information and hope you do keep them up to date what is happening. =D
We’ll be rolling out this change on a staggered schedule and will post further notices as we get closer to making the change for each game.

Any update? Just logged on to my old Vista rig that has been handed down to my daughter and, after a bnet update to the launcher got a pop-up stating that "soon this OS will no longer be supported"

Not a big issue as its due for an upgrade (or more likely retirement) anyway, but would be nice to know how long the dinosaur has left.
Guess I need to get 7 or better loaded onto my old Dell. My Compaq, with the same amount of memory (and I think being a little newer than the Dell) has 7 yet since a couple of patches ago it crashes constantly in HS. My older computer is running XP and doesn't crash. Go figure.

Neither computer currently has 'supported' components, but you'd think that the Compaq with the newer OS would still run the game if the Dell does. Something crashes it at the very start and very end of games. It runs fine if it actually gets into a game, and generally handles video better (fewer problems with streaming.)

I just hope upgrading the Dell to 7 doesn't kill HS on it.
As a reminder, support for Windows XP and Vista ends soon!
Does anyone know how this will affect playing on linux? I've seen a warning when playing wine that I sohuld upgrade my OS when playing Hearthstone.
Linux is not supported, sooooo... outside of still not being supported, if it's emulating an older OS... it might be affected? I would guess whatever emulator you are using would be emulating a much more recent OS version of DirectX.
ty Blizzard, at last i can go out :)
Farewell!
So, October... Well, Vista on my old "play computer" did a good job.
Is there still a free upgrade to 7 around?
09/08/2017 09:39 AMPosted by DIRA
Is there still a free upgrade to 7 around?

I can't say for sure, but I'd bet that window has expired. I'm pretty sure qualifying OSs had something like less than a year from Win 10's launch to take the offer. At this point it's been out a few years now so that offer is likely long gone.
After these older operating systems are no longer supported, the games will not run on them

I've never heard of any company shutting off access to their game to a certain operating system that it supported originally. Why would even do this? Sure, you can stop supporting it, but why forcefully shut it off?
What happens with users running hearthstone on linux Wine (with XP compatibility mode)? Will it be possible to run it on Win7 or later? Last time I checked, it wasn't working.
All I can say - this sux.
I don't like the newer operating systems, forcing people to upgrade is bogus .... in my opinion :(
i like the XP why should i change it for one !@#$ty game,no sir u lost one rich player who was ready to buy tons of packs with real money..
well unless blizz can give me money for a new computer i guess ill be sol for playing any blizzard game from now on.
Yeah kinda sucks after buying D2+lod wc3+frozen throne sc1+brood war EVERY wow expansion... first my graphics card on wow, now my OS for hearthstone :( le sigh...
09/07/2017 12:35 PMPosted by rabb1t
Linux is not supported, sooooo... outside of still not being supported, if it's emulating an older OS... it might be affected? I would guess whatever emulator you are using would be emulating a much more recent OS version of DirectX.

Hearthstone itself works fine in Windows 7 mode, but the bnet client has some visual errors (like not showing the link to this thread LOL). I guess we can't expect a native linux version from a small indie company even though the engine they are using was built to do exactly this.

// Edit: When I consider about how buggy the MacOS client still is I would put my hopes on the wine people anyway.
Why forcfully prevent players whith those OSes to play?
seems rediculous
will HS,D3, and WoW stop using D3D9 - likely no

Bnet has no problem at all after u install SHA2 patch,
encrytion with 256+ bit keys

IF this is happening, i say so long Blizzard it was fun for 13 years but your going to loose alot of costumers, Take care...
I wonder what percentage of Windows XP users were actually Linux gamers running it in Wine.

I haven't had success in getting this to run in Windows 7/8/8.1/10 through wine; does anyone have any insight?