Year of the Mammoth: Discussion Thread

Play Mode Discussion
1 2 3 13 Next
We've just announced a lot of exciting things for the upcoming year, including new content launches, innovative ways to get together and play with friends, improvements to keep Hearthstone fresh and exciting, and more!

Read the blog here: A Year of Mammoth Proportions

Let us know what you think!
If we craft a Golden Ragnaros and kept the regular Ragnaros, does this mean we'll get 4,800 dust for free?

Same for Sylvanas and the others

I'm glad to see Ragnaros leave, by the way

No more games won on a coin flip, no more big cost minions being overshadowed by his instant value
Amazing changes. Some of those classic cards really were auto-include almost ALL the time.
02/16/2017 10:36 AMPosted by OmegaBuster
If we craft a Golden Ragnaros and kept the regular Ragnaros, does this mean we'll get 4,800 dust for free?

No. If you have both golden and regular versions of the card, you will only receive a dust amount for the golden version.

Indeed, in other words: If you have a Golden and a regular Sylvanas (or Rag), will you get 1600, 3200 or 4800 dust? If you have two regular and two golden Azure Drakes (or POs/Conceals/Ice Lances) will you get 80, 800 or 880 dust?

EDIT: Ach. Ninja'd by the blues...
I think you should move ice block to wild instead of ice lance
Since cards only rotate once a year, can we expect (if it comes up) more balance patches so that we don't end up with a particular class dominating for a significant portion of the year?
''We considered promoting Gadgetzan Auctioneer to Wild instead, but in the end we decided to move Conceal because Auctioneer has proven to be one of the most skill testing cards in the game.''

Is this a joke right? I mean, if you are trying to say ''cycling tons of cards before rope burns out takes some skill and APM'', that's quite understandable, but I guess it's not.
If you have 10 Azure Drakes, do you get dust for all of them or only 2 ?

If no, can you explain the 30 card limit, with 4 non-leg and 2 leg cards, the max should be 4x2+2=10 ?
So Jesse, does this announcement mean that there will be NO more Single Player Adventures in Hearthstone except for the "optional single-player missions that will help develop the expansions’ thematic narratives"?

If so then that is really unfortunate. Single Player Adventures were a fantastic value. The only other deal that was better is the Welcome Bundle. Are there any plans to somehow make up the value that players lose from not having these great value Adventures anymore?

Perhaps ... for example ... improving the TERRIBLE return rate for crafting? Prior to Year of the Mammoth, the value ratio in the game was ...

4 to 1 Value - Adventures
1 to 1 Value - Card Packs
0.25 to 1 Value - Crafting

So we are losing the 4 to 1 value option, and are still stuck with the lousy 1/4 to 1 value option. How about making the craft value 0.5 to 1 to make up for it?
I think this is a great move by Team 5. Having cards hit the Hall of Fame if they get out of hand is a great way to shake things up. I am sad to see the first deck archetype I every crafted [Freeze] get relegated to Wild but if I am interpreting things correctly they sounded like they want to make more spell damage minions so it might be a buff in disguise for Wild which I am okay with. Also might see more burn this way. Hopefully more cards like Torch would be nice.

I really hope the single player experiences we will see will rewards of free cards to help new players in standard. There sure wont be many playable dragons in Standard come Mammoth time.
02/16/2017 10:42 AMPosted by Jesse Hill

No. If you have both golden and regular versions of the card, you will only receive a dust amount for the golden version.

Are we going to be able to disenchant our cards for dust after the new year starts? For example, if I get credit for my golden Azure Drakes, can I disenchant them afterwards and get more dust and just keep my regular non golden ones? Same with Sylvanas and Ragnaros.
For the most part, these all make sense.

Rag, Sylv, and Azure all show up in way too many decks because they're too good at what they do.

Power Overwhelming is too good for it's really low mana cost. The downside of the minion dying rarely comes into play because the card is often used as a finisher. The 20 damage combo of Leroy, PO, and Faceless will be gone regardless because of Thaurissan cycling out, but it's still good for this card to go as it would hinder future design.

Don't know if Ice Lance was needed, but I won't lose sleep over it and the class won't be hurt too badly for its loss.

Conceal makes plenty of sense and, just like Master of Disguise, this card likely hurts the design of new cards. Rogue keeps getting stuck with "Miracle or nothing" most expansions. This should hopefully fix.

Regarding cards I don't have yet: So if I have the dust, I should craft these guys before this hits for basically a free wild card? Just to be sure.
3 expansions per year now? Sounds like Blizzard wants to milk as much as possible out of their fans before HS dies.
Hi Jess! Thanks for posting. I do have some questions in regards to the upcoming change.

1. Are we going to be able to craft the cards from the "Hall of Fame" set in the future or will there be some sort of restriction like the Golden Gelbin?

2. With the second "expansion" of the year being another major ~130 card addition, are the devs planning on adding further support to cards released in the first expansion of the year?

I'm asking this because of the example of storytelling about the Jade Lotus used in the announcement.

3. Which brings us to this question: ~390 cards per year is a lot to obtain. How will that affect the F2P crowd?

Knowing that there will be so many new cards, I think it'd be daunting for any newer players, even if it's just getting the "meta relevant" ones. Is Blizzard planning on easing the process in obtaining cards?

The daily log in rewards is only supposed to be for a limited time...unless that will change.

Other than that, I'm glad there will be Wild tournaments and new Rogue Hero Portrait in the works.

Jesse, what happens here?:

I have a normal Rag and a golden Rag.
At the time Rag is inducted into the Hall of Fame, I get 3200 dust for the golden Rag, and nothing for the normal Rag.
Am I then able to disenchant both Rags for 2000 (1600+400) dust, receiving a total of 5200 dust?
RIP adventures :(
How the F are we supposed to afford keeping up with all those expansions?

I do not like playing just 1-3 classes and so I believe I will have to quit because I simply cannot afford to keep up with competitive decks
10/10 Bravo. Adventures were a gold sink. I love the hall of fame approach as opposed to nerfing and every alternative hero should be this easy to acquire. I just wish you hadn't gutted Druid.

#Retcon Druid