PSA: Never play Eater of Secret to counter OTK Mage

Play Mode Discussion
Your overall win rate will suffer because of that one card, having a satisfaction of destroying one mage doesn't worth it if you lose the other 9 matches.

The only time to play the card is if OTK Mage got at least 60% of the ladder. Otherwise stick with aggro decks or the concede button.
04/10/2017 10:03 AMPosted by CrippledFury
Your overall win rate will suffer because of that one card, having a satisfaction of destroying one match against mage doesn't worth it if you lose the other 9 matches.

The only time to play the card is if OTK Mage got at least 60% of the ladder. Otherwise stick with aggro decks or the concede button.

Well it can still be good against hunter can't it?

secret hunter in 2017 lol
It could also be great against Paladin. My hunter decks nearly always have at least one Flare.

There's also the mirror match, wherein whoever draws Eater of Secrets first will probably win.
04/10/2017 10:03 AMPosted by CrippledFury
Your overall win rate will suffer because of that one card, having a satisfaction of destroying one match against mage doesn't worth it if you lose the other 9 matches.

The variants of hunter we've seen in this expansion so far don't play secrets
Eater of Secrets is really handy in my Handlock.

It allows me to pull a surprise lethal on the Mage when they think they are safe before their combo, and it nullifies the annoyance of Freezing Trap since I often have larger bodies that would be awkward to play around it with.

While the card is definitely weak in other matchups, I can usually just taunt it up as a defensive tool if needed.

The card isn't a staple to my deck by any means, I just tech it in when I run into a disproportionate amount of relevant classes. But it has its niche uses.
The OP is right, i don't understand the downvotes.
It's only worth it vs mages because of their expensive and stronger secrets.
Not worth vs hunters (who rarely run secrets in addition to that) nor vs paladins (tech for 1-cost secrets? Please).
So if it's only worth running vs mage, is it a good idea? No, because quest mage's winrate is below 50%, freeze mage is too rare.
04/10/2017 10:11 AMPosted by Syrea
Not worth vs hunters (who rarely run secrets in addition to that) nor vs paladins (tech for 1-cost secrets? Please).
So if it's only worth running vs mage, is it a good idea? No, because quest mage's winrate is below 50%, freeze mage is too rare.

If Quest Mage's winrate is so low then why are we even talking about it? and have like countless threads about it why don't we just drop this...
04/10/2017 10:14 AMPosted by CrippledFury

If Quest Mage's winrate is so low then why are we even talking about it? and have like countless threads about it why don't we just drop this...

Because it is a good idea to tell new/inexperienced players to not fall into the hype trap created by this board.

From the number of "OMG, Quest Mage OP" threads here I would certainly tech Eater of Secret if I didn't know anything better :)
04/10/2017 10:18 AMPosted by NOC

Because it is a good idea to tell new/inexperienced players to not fall into the hype trap created by this board.

From the number of "OMG, Quest Mage OP" threads here I would certainly tech Eater of Secret if I didn't know anything better :)

LOL, at the person who 'Teched' that card.... I would literally lol...

To explain to those who think it's smart to do that.
We talk about it because people complain, thinking it's an op deck when in fact it targets a specific portion of the meta and loses to the rest.
<span class="truncated">...</span>

yes hunter play secrets....like freeze trap
cant believe you didnt find one running it

even if they dont run any other secrets.......freeze trap always seems to manage to find a slot
04/10/2017 10:24 AMPosted by Boreas

yes hunter play secrets....like freeze trap
cant believe you didnt find one running it

even if they dont run any other secrets.......freeze trap always seems to manage to find a slot

And sometimes explosive trap to counter Rogue or Pirate Warrior*
Personally I find dirty rat far superior since it's useful against other decks. Just wait to drop them till the mage is about to do their combo and watch as either Antonidas or the apprentice come out.