Allow card trading

Play Mode Discussion
This is (more or less) a Trading Card game. It would be awesome if we could actually trade cards. Have a forum for card deals. Then people could post what they are seeking or whatever. Then players could "add" each other in game and trade through a trade window the cards they wish to swap.

I think it would be a cool function that allows players to build decks through trade, from the common they need for a strategy, all the way up to players exchanging epics/legendaries to complete a net deck.

To keep from breaking the GUI, just add a little trade button nest to names in your friends list.

I'm sure people will have a ton of arguments to why this is a bad idea, but in trading card games (where you buy actual cards) people have been trading for years. I see no reason we shouldn't be able to trade here.
Hearthstone is not a TCG, it's a CCG. The reason that trading shouldn't be allowed in a digital card game is simple: As soon as they allowed it, thousands of players (myself included!) would make alternate accounts, farm daily quest gold, and use those accounts to get cards and trade them over to my main. It wouldn't even be difficult or time consuming. You can't do that in physical TCG's, like Magic: the Gathering.
Fundamentally trading and f2p are incompatible. You instantly run into bot/black market/hacking issues when you introduce it. The only way that I've seen it done successfully is marking cards purchased for real money and make them alone be tradeable, but even that creates a bunch of other isseus.

The crafting system is designed to take the place of trading. In effect, you can trade 4 of any rarity for one of your choice with the house.
Ahh that's a good point. I suppose a key to fixing that would be to limit trades between 2 accounts.
05/08/2017 08:18 AMPosted by Frozenwind
Fundamentally trading and f2p are incompatible. You instantly run into bot/black market/hacking issues when you introduce it. The only way that I've seen it done successfully is marking cards purchased for real money and make them alone be tradeable, but even that creates a bunch of other isseus.

The crafting system is designed to take the place of trading. In effect, you can trade 4 of any rarity for one of your choice with the house.

I understand the crafting, and I like it to an extent. My only issue is, if you need a legendary card, you either have to destroy a golden legendary (I don't care that much about gold cards) to get the dust, or 4 legendaries. Which seems lopsided. I'm not saying you should get an even dust value, that would be rediculous. But maybe bring it down to 3 for 1 instead of 4.
Let's be real. People would abuse the crap out of a trading system.

Selling cards for real money, trading cards from alt accounts to main accounts, etc. It'd spiral out of control.

Now, I'd be down for a TEMPORARY lending system where you can loan a few cards to a friend for a limited amount of time so they can have a taste of what it's like to play with them. That would be more realistic.
05/08/2017 08:21 AMPosted by ArmyRetGuy
05/08/2017 08:18 AMPosted by Frozenwind

I understand the crafting, and I like it to an extent. My only issue is, if you need a legendary card, you either have to destroy a golden legendary (I don't care that much about gold cards) to get the dust, or 4 legendaries. Which seems lopsided. I'm not saying you should get an even dust value, that would be rediculous. But maybe bring it down to 3 for 1 instead of 4.

You can make an argument about the relative values sure, although trading 4 bad cards for 1 good card is a far better value than you'd find in any open-market trading system.
Well I guess I was looking from the perspective of a new player. I don't have tons of duplicate legendaries and epics. So of course the idea of trading a legendary with another player sounds great to me.

I guess I see the issues you brought up for the mid to late game.
Try pokemon trading card game online. if you're looking for trading card experience.
I've already seen and done some abuses myself on other mobile games that has free dailies and allow trading. I play them on both my IPhone and IPad. In their respective forums, their are people bragging about playing 5-6 different accounts.
Doing that would make blizzard make a !@#$ton of less money off of HS, they aren't a charity, sadly.
yeah it can't happen, ppl would just make infinite alt accounts, open the free packs you get and trade anything of value you pull to ur main for a useless common.
05/08/2017 08:14 AMPosted by ArmyRetGuy
This is (more or less) a Trading Card game. It would be awesome if we could actually trade cards. Have a forum for card deals. Then people could post what they are seeking or whatever. Then players could "add" each other in game and trade through a trade window the cards they wish to swap.

Stinks a bot user of this thread and comment and thats exactlly what would happen if they did this. Not only that but several people would for sure have multiply accounts.
05/08/2017 08:28 AMPosted by ArmyRetGuy
Well I guess I was looking from the perspective of a new player. I don't have tons of duplicate legendaries and epics. So of course the idea of trading a legendary with another player sounds great to me.

I guess I see the issues you brought up for the mid to late game.

You are delusional.

In a trading system, what do you think people would want to give you for a legendary you do not want? If Hearthstone went with the trading route instead of what we have (it's was never going to be dust + trading) how do you expect things would go? The cards value would not even be decided by their rarity anymore but by supply and demand. Everybody wants Kazakus? The few players that received more than one copy would be able to set the price and I guarantee you, it would not be a trade that would end up in your favor. And who do you think would want all of the commons you have and don't want? Outside of new players without a collection (therefore nothing to trade you) nobody which would make these cards worth nothing.

The dust system may not seem great to you because you see the trading system as a 1 for 1 legendary vs legendary but it would never be that, unless trading with a friend, maybe. People would not take your crap legendary in exchange for a good one. And if the prices asked by players were too high, then you would have no way of getting the cards you want.

At least now the prices are fixed. We know how much dust we need to craft anything and it will not be decided by popularity or supply and demand. Any card you want, you can craft and it's not more expensive because it's a good legendary for competitive play vs a fun one.
Games that allow trading do not also allow crafting. They also don't allow trading of "free" cards. Only cards that were paid for with dollars are tradable. For most people playing this game, that means that their cards would still be untradable.

Worse - trading requires enforcement of rarity. Right now, anyone who has the dust can "buy" any card in the game from the "store". (I.E, crafting with dust).

If there was a trading house, the only way to conserve the value of "good" cards would be for the availability of such cards to be limited to only those cards that came out of a pack. You wouldn't be able to craft a Grommash or a Caverns Below. The only way you could get them would be to buy them from people who were fortunate enough to pull them from a pack.

And, yes, I use the word "buy", not "trade", advisably. People who have valuable cards want valuable cards in return. Despite rosy images of players happily trading their extras, the fact is that "extras" are almost entirely cards that nobody wants.

Right now, you can buy a forty-pack and disenchant your extras and get most, or even all of the dust to craft a legendary of your choice.

You would never be able to trade 100 trash commons and rares for a legendary from anybody.

The upshot is that the rich would get richer, while the poor would remain disadvantaged and the overall population of legendary and epic cards in the game as a whole would be a lot smaller because the amounts of each would be strictly limited.

Crafting is better than trading from the standpoint of the average player who wants to make a particular deck and get real value from his junk duplicates.
I like the concept of playing "for keeps"

We used to do it in middle school with Magic: The Gathering - play a game and put up one of your cards as ante, if you lose the other guy gets your card.

It was fun winning valuable cards this way and it was gambling without looking like gambling so they didn't give us !@#$ for doing it at school.

Dunno about trading but being able to put up gold or cards to ante in would make for a fun mode methinks.
To be fair, Pokemon TCG Online has a great online trading system that put trades up globally. They're system is thriving pretty well.
You're right. This wouldn't be a bad idea. It'd be a terrible idea.

People will be selling cards for real money, trading cards from alt accounts to main accounts, botting would be encouraged...

It would be a complete and utter mess.
08/30/2017 05:38 PMPosted by SoulCider
To be fair, Pokemon TCG Online has a great online trading system that put trades up globally. They're system is thriving pretty well.

Trading card games do not give out free legendaries and card packs with the release of each expansion because that will be abused easily with multiple accounts.

I will stick to the current system where I can go dailies for card packs and get freebies once a while, thank you very much.
I don't know who breathed this one back to life, I posted this a few months ago when I was brand spanking new. You'll notice that I ended up agreeing with the first few rebuttals from more experienced persons.

I do not understand why anyone would feel a sudden urge to revive this post. Let it die in the gutter where it belongs, lol.