Why no inspire cards in Standard??

Play Mode Discussion
1 2 3 5 Next
I just realized that standard has literally Zero inspire cards in it right now? Was it just a scrapped idea? I know the mechanic was pretty lame but man did that disappear fast.
Yep, no more inspire. Too weak, they just couldnt make it work well without making it too overpowered either.
The only fun inspire was confessor paletress so it makes sense.
The game designers weren't inspired to create them anymore.
Inspire weren't good minions, in general.

They were mostly too weak to be played on curve and too snowball-ish if they could stick more than 1 turn.

I'm glad that they are gone from Standard.
TGT rotated out and they are pretty much just too slow. Some cards can work, like justicar with warrior, but super slow. I kinda liked it. Maybe they will revisit the idea and make it a little better down the road.
Inspire and joust are signature mechanics of The Grand Tournament. The blue names are on record saying they have no plans to use Inspire or Joust in the forseeable future.
05/09/2017 05:08 PMPosted by Rawrs
TGT rotated out and they are pretty much just too slow. Some cards can work, like justicar with warrior, but super slow. I kinda liked it. Maybe they will revisit the idea and make it a little better down the road.

I would like to see inspire again, balanced so a few of them are actually good. It's the closest thing Hearthstone has to activated abilities on minions.

Joust on the other hand, I'm happy to forget.
Inspire was either garbage or thunderbluff valiant level of power, even kodo rider wasn't good enough.
In most card games, new expansions mean new mechanics. It's better fire the devs to focus on making the new mechanics great instead of trying to keep older mechanics alive at the same time.

Especially since sets will rotate out of standard now, I think it would be way to much to keep track of of they tried to keep old things alive. Some things have to be allowed to die, but that doesn't always mean it's gone forever.
I am kinda glad inspire it is not a thing anymore, the inspire mechanic was really slow, and a kind of win more gameplan, so if you were losing woulnd't work to recover your game, and oponent would be able to snowball their.
While it was too slow, I did like the inspire mechanic. My favorite deck from that era was a paladin silver hand token deck. Wasn't ladder worthy by any means, but it was fun. There was the inspire guy who summoned an extra recruit and the monkey that gave everyone +1/+1 in my deck. If you drew right you could make some pretty big recruits early. Of course, AoE completely destroyed it most games...
Inspire was one of those things that looked good on paper but that never really worked out well in practice.

Aside from Warlock and possibly Hunter, most of the time you'd rather be doing something else with two mana than using your hero power. Maybe if Coldarra Drake had been a neutral minion, or if the various minions that altered the cost of your hero power had permanent effects instead of temporary, inspire would have been more of a game changer.

Plus, a lot of inspire minions were just kind of weird. Coliseum Manager, for instance: Bouncing something back to your hand might be useful in certain cases, but having it forced whenever you use your hero power created more limits on your gameplay than possibilities; never mind the fact that it essentially cost you two mana for the bounce.

While I could imagine some wacky uses for it, Quest Rogue is the first deck since the release of TGT where Coliseum Manager might actually be beneficial to the deck by letting you cut some bounce cards for tech cards instead. Even then, Coliseum Manager is really too expensive for a deck that wants its bounced cards to play for free whenever possible.

Brave Archer - Interesting, but the "empty hand" Hunter failed to materialize as a real archetype, especially without any way to protect Merida from removal.

Argent Watchman - Can only attack if you spend two mana. Really? Plus, while it's stats are high, the over-budget stats are in defense. It's hard to see how this is an investment that's going to pay off in offensive dividends.

There were a few good inspire cards, but mostly inspire was too slow, too expensive, and too gimmicky. I wouldn't state categorically that there are no good ideas yet to discover in that space but I'd say it's a very low probability that there's an idea that's so good that Blizzard says, "We HAVE to include this in the next set!" The inspire cards we have are likely to be the only inspire cards there ever will be.
Having too many keywords in Hearthstone would be overwhelming. Most of our sets have a new keyword, and some of them have more than one. If, in addition to a set’s new mechanics, we also kept around Spare Parts and Inspire and so on, we’d quickly reach Peak Keyword. Every set is someone’s first set, and learning Hearthstone is tough enough without a bevy of cards with words you don’t understand.

The marginal benefit of the twentieth keyword in the same Standard environment is small. We don’t need many keywords to make deckbuilding interesting and give people new strategic options. So, we do most of our keywords on a set-by-set basis, and they naturally sunset when Standard rotates. Because we have fewer keywords, we can support those mechanics more; having a theme is more fun than having a card or two with Inspire. Instead, we can layer cards like Maiden of the Lake and Garrison Commander on top of Inspire to give the mechanic more depth. We wouldn’t be able to do that if we had more keywords, because we don’t have enough cards in each set to do so.
05/10/2017 10:01 AMPosted by Max McCall
Having too many keywords in Hearthstone would be overwhelming.

lol good god
You sound like MTG about 15 years ago.
But, fair enough; The average IQ of a HS player is obviously less than the average IQ of an MTG player. Oh man I am going to get so buried, but I don't care. Think about it. It's undoubtedly true.

I think the root of the problem is that you have 9 classes and tiny card sets, Max.

Although another thing to consider is that this game is still very young, so repeating keywords at this point might be unnecessary. Has to leverage nostalgia.

Still, this has to change in the long run. We'll demand recurring keywords at some point, obviously, as wild's adherents grow in number.
Having too many keywords in Hearthstone would be overwhelming. Most of our sets have a new keyword, and some of them have more than one. If, in addition to a set’s new mechanics, we also kept around Spare Parts and Inspire and so on, we’d quickly reach Peak Keyword. Every set is someone’s first set, and learning Hearthstone is tough enough without a bevy of cards with words you don’t understand.

The marginal benefit of the twentieth keyword in the same Standard environment is small. We don’t need many keywords to make deckbuilding interesting and give people new strategic options. So, we do most of our keywords on a set-by-set basis, and they naturally sunset when Standard rotates. Because we have fewer keywords, we can support those mechanics more; having a theme is more fun than having a card or two with Inspire. Instead, we can layer cards like Maiden of the Lake and Garrison Commander on top of Inspire to give the mechanic more depth. We wouldn’t be able to do that if we had more keywords, because we don’t have enough cards in each set to do so.

Throwing a couple of inspire (or joust, or whatever else from the past) cards instead of the garbage filler like the 8/2 tiger or the ultrasaur would be really appreciated. There is no reason why mechanics should be locked within a set, as discover proved.
05/10/2017 10:04 AMPosted by Sovereign
But, fair enough; The average IQ of a HS player is obviously less than the average IQ of an MTG player. Oh man I am going to get so buried, but I don't care. Think about it. It's undoubtedly tru

You mean a game targeted to a broad online/mobile community might have a more general audience than a niche card game? (and yes, niche). What a mind-blowing revelation.
Having too many keywords in Hearthstone would be overwhelming

The average adult American knows about 20,000+ words. Even if you were to dip in to the kids range around age 7-8. It would still be sitting around 10,000 words or so. Not even including all the online acronyms on videos and social media.

So I am at a loss how a extra few words could possibly be a problem.
05/10/2017 10:39 AMPosted by Elementality
But, fair enough; The average IQ of a HS player is obviously less than the average IQ of an MTG player. Oh man I am going to get so buried, but I don't care. Think about it. It's undoubtedly tru

You mean a game targeted to a broad online/mobile community might have a more general audience than a niche card game? (and yes, niche). What a mind-blowing revelation.

Oh you mean there was at least one other person out there who thought this was obvious? What a mind-blowing revelation. You're a genius, dude. High five.
05/10/2017 10:39 AMPosted by Elementality

He is Sovereign, he has relevations on a day-to-day basis - though sometimes they just look a bit like a counterfeit coin.