Upcoming Card Pack Changes

Community Discussion
1 2 3 8 Next
Having fun and exciting moments in Hearthstone is important to us, so today we’re announcing an upcoming change to the way you’ll experience cracking open Hearthstone card packs.

WAAAH, Legendary!

Starting with the release of Hearthstone’s next expansion (but applying to ALL Hearthstone card packs), every time you open a Legendary in a card pack, it will be a Legendary card from the same set that you don’t already own. Once you own either the golden or non-golden version of a Legendary card, you won’t get a duplicate of it until you own all the Legendary cards from that set. Soon, you’ll be able to craft a Legendary without the worry of opening it in your next few packs!

In addition, you will never open more copies of any card in a pack than you can use in a single deck—no more opening three or more of the same common, rare, or epic card in one pack!

Even More Legendary!

Beginning with the release of the next expansion, you’re also guaranteed to get a Legendary within your first 10 packs of a new set. The release of a new Hearthstone expansion is a super exciting time, and with this change we hope your pack openings start off on a celebratory note!

Combined, these changes should make the pack opening experience more exciting than ever—especially when you see that flash of gold heralding a Legendary card!

The Greater Crater Promotion

Elise Starseeker and her junior explorers have stumbled upon a fascinating discovery: a crater full of card packs! Starting in the next few days, we’re having a special limited time promotion for Journey to Un’Goro card pack bundles: the price stays the same, but the number of packs gets dino-sized!

We can’t wait to see your Legendary pack openings starting with Hearthstone’s next expansion!

For more information, make sure to check out our blog post here.
In First!!! cool Thanks for the changes!
These are wonderful changes, thank you.
These changes are really good, thanks Blizz
*Claps* Thank you, Blizz! You do care after all!
*Starts removing tinfoil hat*...

Wait! Are they going to lower overall legendary drop rates or increase the number of legendaries per set to compensate?

*Dives back into tinfoil hat*

*Misjudges momentum, charges headfirst into wall. Tinfoil hats make for poor helmets*
I know what the forums are for and sub forums, but you should put this in the play mode section because this sub is a ghost town.

Great changes though.
As someone who was already saving for the next expansion but has not yet got all the cards I want from Un'goro (dammit, Elise...), does this mean that the soundest thing to do now would be to keep expending in Un'Goro packs to try to trigger the "pity timer" before the next expansion launches to be guaranteed at least 2 legendaries?

It would be a pity if someone has opened 39 packs with no legendaries and the pity timer is about to trigger just to have it reset by this promo, losing one otherwise guaranteed legendary drop.

Does this make sense to you guys?
Will this new ungoro sale last until these changes are implemented?
06/22/2017 11:26 AMPosted by Genoism
Will this new ungoro sale last until these changes are implemented?

If I read the announcement correctly, you should be able to buy the packs and then just save them until the changes get implemented. I doubt packs will be split between "Bought before changes" and Bought after changes"
06/22/2017 11:25 AMPosted by HigoChumbo
As someone who was already saving for the next expansion but has not yet got all the cards I want from Un'goro (dammit, Elise...), does this mean that the soundest thing to do now would be to keep expending in Un'Goro packs to try to trigger the "pity timer" before the next expansion launches to be guaranteed at least 2 legendaries?

It would be a pity if someone has opened 39 packs with no legendaries and the pity timer is about to trigger just to have it reset by this promo, losing one otherwise guaranteed legendary drop.

Does this make sense to you guys?

Pity timers ate exclusive to each expansion. So if you had horrible luck, you could open 39 classic, 39 ungoro, 39 MSG, OG etc... and not get a legendary. On the other hand, that means opening a random MSG pack and getting Hobart doesn't reset your Classic timer.
Oh look! A spot!

Thanks blizz!

After closer look, while not likely, it does screw over people that would have gotten a golden legendary.

Should have made it that won't get a dup legendary unless the dup legendary is golden of something already owned, this way the player can choose to dust the non golden one or dust the golden one for a legendary of choice.
First thought: Good. This is a step in the right direction and a good thing overall.

Second thought: The "Greater Crater" promo seems ill-timed. If the Legendary changes aren't happening until the NEXT expansion comes out, then it's not exactly giving any incentive to plunk down money for 15 packs now as opposed to waiting for the change. Why not make the change effective immediately?

Third thought: I notice that the text says, "You’re also guaranteed to get a Legendary within your first 10 packs of a new set". A much better change would be to make the "10 packs guarantees 1 Legendary" timer a permanent, across the board change for opening packs in general rather than a 1-shot deal limited only to the first 10 packs of a new expansion.
06/22/2017 11:13 AMPosted by Keganbe
In addition, you will never open more copies of any card in a pack than you can use in a single deck—no more opening three or more of the same common, rare, or epic card in one pack!

Ok this is significant. This means I won't actually need to get 200 packs just to cover all the rares. Just getting 50 packs will significant enough. This alone is amazing.
06/22/2017 11:32 AMPosted by TheRiddler
"10 packs guarantees 1 Legendary" timer a permanent, across the board change for opening packs in general rather than a 1-shot deal limited only to the first 10 packs of a new expansion.

I will be 100% happy with just the 1 guaranteed Leg per 20 ;)
This way 100 packs will absolutely 100% get me 5 distinct legs, rather than say 3, where 2 are duplicates.
Guys, I have 2 questions. Let's say I have all common and rare cards of any given standard set. Does this mean I will open only epic and legendary cards?

And the other thing is, let's say I own the entire classic set for example. After I open another classic pack, what cards will I get?

Thanks guys, and I will see you in the tavern!
As someone who has gotten duplicate legendaries many times, I will be glad to get a potentially useful legendary rather than 400 dust. Hopefully this is a sign of good things to come regarding Blizzard being more thoughtful of its player community. fingers crossed
Based on information in this release, the no more than 2 of commons, rares, and epics only applies to a pack, not across your collection, like Legends.
Great changes... I've been frustrated with Un'goro legendaries and have only a handful of unique legendaries, but have gotten 3 duplicates already and only own 2 quests.