This game is 100% pay to win.

Play Mode Discussion
1 2 3 13 Next
Unless you pool all your resources into getting a really really cheap (and always mediocre) deck you will always end up losing to any half decent player who payed for packs. It takes over a year to get anything close to a passable collection as f2p. I know this as someone who went though it myself. I still dont have decent decks for half the classes and have to make large substitutions as well. The fact that a mediocre player with a good deck can instawin vs an incredible player with a bad deck should be proof enough that this game is not fair to f2p players. Card packs are an incredibly slow way to grow your collection given how incredibly rare epic/legendary cards are compared to how difficult it is to get packs, and how little dust you get from dusting them (1/8th dust for a common is absurdly low. They should be 10 dust a piece). You shouldn't need to spend half your life playing a game in order to get to the point where you have enough in your collection to win games vs players with meta decks.
I am sorry but it is a CARD game like Magic or Pokemon etc and that is the case with ALL card games so nothing to see here.
I am free to play and i never had a problem. Sure you won‘t have a top tier deck after 1 week of playing, but you can get get a good deck if you play actively.
You need one efficient deck to be competitive. You need three efficient decks to climb efficiently. Any more than that is frivolous.

Yes, it would be nice if commons and rares returned 1/4 dust like epics and legendaries, but that alone does not somehow make the game non-f2p friendly. You additionally picked a rather poor time to complain about f2p, as they have just implemented a guaranteed legendary after your first 10 packs of any set and had a solid month of promotional give-aways through the fire and frost festivals.

Don't waste dust disenchanting good/potentially good cards and you'll find your collection growing much more quicly.
HS is actually one of the cheaper CCGs compare it to something like MTG where it’ll take you around 700ish USD to build one of the top decks, with a single card costing anywhere from 30-70 dollars and you’ll need 4 of them. Here’s an example:
  • http://sales.starcitygames.com/cardsearch.php?singlesearch=Chandra%2C+Torch+of+Defiance
  • A single card costs 40 dollars
    08/07/2017 09:39 AMPosted by Secant
    Unless you pool all your resources into getting a really really cheap (and always mediocre) deck you will always end up losing to any half decent player who payed for packs. It takes over a year to get anything close to a passable collection as f2p. I know this as someone who went though it myself. I still dont have decent decks for half the classes and have to make large substitutions as well. The fact that a mediocre player with a good deck can instawin vs an incredible player with a bad deck should be proof enough that this game is not fair to f2p players. Card packs are an incredibly slow way to grow your collection given how incredibly rare epic/legendary cards are compared to how difficult it is to get packs, and how little dust you get from dusting them (1/8th dust for a common is absurdly low. They should be 10 dust a piece). You shouldn't need to spend half your life playing a game in order to get to the point where you have enough in your collection to win games vs players with meta decks.

Getting one or even a few meta decks in hearthstone isn't expensive at all

If you're too broke to put in a little support to the game and franchise you like than you probably shouldn't play and work on how to earn some money first kid
    Have you ever played Yugioh? THATS expensive.
    08/07/2017 09:46 AMPosted by SlighMD
    HS is actually one of the cheaper CCGs compare it to something like MTG where it’ll take you around 700ish USD to build one of the top decks, with a single card costing anywhere from 30-70 dollars and you’ll need 4 of them. Here’s an example:
  • http://sales.starcitygames.com/cardsearch.php?singlesearch=Chandra%2C+Torch+of+Defiance

Its cheaper, but you are neglecting the fact that its digital only. There are no manufacturing costs, shipping costs etc.

Hearthstone is too expensive for what it is. If it was an actual physical game, it would make sense. But it costs blizzard litteraly nothing for you to buy a pack. Once blizzard meets the cost it took to make a set, its all profit afterward.

Add onto that, magic cards retain their value and are sellable. I would get a LOT more selling a collection of magic cards than my hearthstone account.
    Blah blah I suck and am too lazy to play a freaking video game enough tp build a decent deck and too cheap to support it.
    08/07/2017 09:39 AMPosted by Secant
    The fact that a mediocre player with a good deck can instawin vs an incredible player with a bad deck should be proof enough that this game is not fair to f2p players.

You leave out how it is also possible for a bad player with a terrible deck to also beat a world-class champion with a great deck. I have seen that happen a lot (being a bad player, myself).

I don't consider having a somewhat low winrate to be unfair. It's quid pro quo. You either spend a lot of time or a little money (although caveat emptor, seriously).
    I am completely F2P and I rank up just fine every month.

Be smart with you resources and craft cards that are used in multiple decks. Get good at arena and you can get unlimited packs.
    I'm free to play here and can still compete at the highest level (defeated multiple streamers during my climb as well :)). Money or card collection is hardly an important factor in your success. I would say this game is 90% skill and 10% collection.
    while I do tinfoil hat believe there's an internal algorithm that shifts RNG in favor of the person who has spent more on the game, I think the game's just completely screwy regarding the draw mechanics.

I'll go a game where I need a single card (of 2) to be drawn in order to either win or shift tempo in a game. I don't get it...Next game, it shows up in my mulligan. EVERY. TIME.

I also find that 75% of games aren't even competitive. One side usually draws perfection and the other stands no chance. It's sad when you do have decent draws and every single thing you play is answered by perfection on the other side.
    08/07/2017 09:50 AMPosted by Screepy
    Have you ever played Yugioh? THATS expensive.

"I need 3 copies of Ash Blossoms for my side deck"

- That will be 600$
    08/07/2017 09:58 AMPosted by Keys
    08/07/2017 09:46 AMPosted by SlighMD

Its cheaper, but you are neglecting the fact that its digital only. There are no manufacturing costs, shipping costs etc.

Hearthstone is too expensive for what it is. If it was an actual physical game, it would make sense. But it costs blizzard litteraly nothing for you to buy a pack. Once blizzard meets the cost it took to make a set, its all profit afterward.

Add onto that, magic cards retain their value and are sellable. I would get a LOT more selling a collection of magic cards than my hearthstone account.

This is only half-true. First, the production and shipping costs amount to fractions of a penny per card. Most of the cost is in design, art, and testing, which Hearthstone also has to do.

Second, some cards retain their value or even increase in value over time, but not all of them by any means. Legacy staple cards tend to hold their value, but outside of that the cards are a pretty poor investment. I wouldn't even recommend trying to get into legacy card speculation right now, because unless you already have the cards the entry cost is sky high. It's like people buying gold when it is at record highs - the time to buy it was well before that point.

It is true that you can sell your collection and recoup some of what you spent on it, but if you were spending enough to run several competitive meta decks every rotation in both games I seriously doubt you'd make up the difference (MtG being way, way more expensive on the front end) by selling the cards as they rotate out. At best the costs would end up being comparable, and that's assuming you mostly bought your cards with money in Hearthstone. If you're saving gold and buying the pre-order + using the gold you've saved each expansion you're most likely spending less due to how much cheaper HS is, and how much most cards depreciate once they've rotated in MtG.
    Why do people keep making these threads?

We play the game...we KNOW what its like.
    Pay to win benefits in the short term only.
    I use a simple timer application and for every hour I play HS, I spend 0.5$ on the game, what other hobby can I find for 0.5$/hour? I enjoy the game, I support the game.

Nothing against f2p players, they have my respect. But I dont think its too difficult to have 2 decent decks.
    08/07/2017 10:27 AMPosted by babinro
    Why do people keep making these threads?

We play the game...we KNOW what its like.
    Pay to win benefits in the short term only.

People posting these kind of threads are either trolling or completely new at the game. This is the reason why I want Blizzard put some restriction on who are allowed to post here. This board should only be reserved for legend players or players who have unlocked all golden portraits.

The rest of them can post whatever they want on the New Player forum.
    It is a Free 2 Play game. The very business model demands that you pay in one of two ways; dollars or hours. The theory is simple. Either you're a paying customer, or you're being paid in-game currency to entertain the paying the customers. Win or lose. That's how these games make money.

But yes, if you're not willing to invest time or money, you're going to have a bad time. It's a card game, you're at a disadvantage if you don't have good cards.