This game is 100% pay to win.

Play Mode Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 13 Next
08/07/2017 10:31 AMPosted by NOC
08/07/2017 10:27 AMPosted by babinro
Why do people keep making these threads?

We play the game...we KNOW what its like.
Pay to win benefits in the short term only.

People posting these kind of threads are either trolling or completely new at the game. This is the reason why I want Blizzard put some restriction on who are allowed to post here. This board should only be reserved for legend players or players who have unlocked all golden portraits.

The rest of them can post whatever they want on the New Player forum.

I get your idea but I think this would cause the forum to be a tad dead.
its not pay too win. its pay to save time.
its only p2w 24.7.43% of times
08/07/2017 10:52 AMPosted by Keybz
its not pay too win. its pay to save time.

It's not saving any time at all. A new all-cash player would still take roughly the same amount of time to hit legend the first time compared with a free-to-play player. There is no shortcut to improve your skill.

I would say this game is pay-to-play-gimmick-decks, if somebody want to play meme decks then he has to spend cash, as those decks are very expensive and use cards that no pros in the right mind would use.
Hearthstone is not P2W. Anyone who says Hearthstone is P2W is using language incorrectly either out of bias or out of ignorance.

Hearthstone is Pay for Faster Diversity. All players arrive at roughly equal levels of library diversity either with cash or time. The only difference is that people who pay cash acquire that diversity more quickly.

If you want a large amount of card (and thus deck) diversity in a very short time then you have the option of paying cash to do so and can spend as much or as little as you like. But as far as basic effectiveness and ability to play successfully - all players start off equally and no cash is required. End of discussion.
Also, the game really treats F2P players well with a decent crafting system, quests and periodical free stuff.

On the other hand, spend any kind of money into this game and you'll feel ripped off.

I spend money on this game because I have a job and very little free time.
08/07/2017 10:57 AMPosted by Attila
its only p2w 24.7.43% of times

08/07/2017 11:04 AMPosted by TheRiddler
Hearthstone is not P2W. Anyone who says Hearthstone is P2W is using language incorrectly either out of bias or out of ignorance.

was my number after decimal point around the ballpark according to the vicious syndicate ?
was my number after decimal point around the ballpark according to the vicious syndicate ?

Whether or not Hearthstone is P2W is Nominal data. Decimal points in Nominal data are not meaningful.
Well it's kinda true. I'm also free to play. You can't do anything about it, you just deal with it. Like Kripp said in a video, you play the game. If you like it make your credit card ready.
08/07/2017 11:35 AMPosted by SonofTHEBOSS
Well it's kinda true. I'm also free to play. You can't do anything about it, you just deal with it. Like Kripp said in a video, you play the game. If you like it make your credit card ready.

I'm also free to play, successful and loving it, thank you very much.

If you want to whip out your credit card (or listen to Kripp, for that matter), go for it, but don't expect it to start winning you games.
08/07/2017 11:41 AMPosted by Beaky
I'm also free to play, successful and loving it, thank you very much.

If you want to whip out your credit card (or listen to Kripp, for that matter), go for it, but don't expect it to start winning you games.

Nah not spending money. I play for fun, it's not like I'm gonna go to world championship.
08/07/2017 10:31 AMPosted by NOC
08/07/2017 10:27 AMPosted by babinro
Why do people keep making these threads?

We play the game...we KNOW what its like.
Pay to win benefits in the short term only.

People posting these kind of threads are either trolling or completely new at the game. This is the reason why I want Blizzard put some restriction on who are allowed to post here. This board should only be reserved for legend players or players who have unlocked all golden portraits.

The rest of them can post whatever they want on the New Player forum.

For every ten trolls, there is at least 1 or 2 of us "new players" that do take it seriously. I don't even have 1 golden portrait, but I play every evening. I've only reached r15 but...I wouldn't have made it this far without this forum.

I am all for a "Veteran Players Only" section, but to kick me out of a forum where I've already established myself seems a bit unfair, especially because of idiots.

OP, the truth of the matter is, you can invest money if you wish, but it isn't required. Money only gains you more resources. This isn't an RTS where you drop 50 bucks and are already have the most advanced troops that continually bully F2P players.

This game is entirely different because skill is involved. Regardless of rng, there are some universal truths to hearthstone.

Two prime examples are Shamans and Mages. No matter the deck type, I assume they have hexes or polys. My objective is to draw them out, and get them out of the way.

I assume Priests always have SW: Pain and SW: Death; I lure those out as well. The rng adds a certain unpredictably element to what otherwise would be "just another card game."

I wonder how many planes crashed before it was perfected? People don't give Blizzard enough credit. They're desperately trying to think outside the box, make a profit, and keep their customers happy.

All of this while giving you the option to invest money.

Finally, if I spend money, I want something in return that the F2P do not have. That is the point of me spending money.
Free to play player myself, and it's not that much of an issue.

Remember, you ARE Playing for free lol You seem pretty entitled to your free stuff.

Save your gold, do your quests, and craft neutral legendaries that give value among multiple classes and you can do just fine. People climb with classic only sets as a challenge too.

The new changes to legendary duplicates and whatnot are quite good too and nothing to scoff at.
The closest HS comes to being P2W is pay-to-craft-a-NEW-meta-relevant-deck-more-quickly.

The key part being "more quickly". There are no cards in this game that cannot be obtained with cashlessly obtained in-game currency.
Not true, I completed my shaman set f2p. I didnt start buying packs until i decided to pick up some fun meta decks for paladin and warrior.
by completed i mean i have all the standard cards for shaman and all the legendaries that are run in a any shaman decks.

It is possible; it isnt easy, but it is possible.
So, can you cite a CCG that is better or at least as good as Hearthstone and that is less "p2w" than it?
08/07/2017 09:39 AMPosted by Secant
Unless you pool all your resources into getting a really really cheap (and always mediocre) deck you will always end up losing to any half decent player who payed for packs. It takes over a year to get anything close to a passable collection as f2p. I know this as someone who went though it myself. I still dont have decent decks for half the classes and have to make large substitutions as well. The fact that a mediocre player with a good deck can instawin vs an incredible player with a bad deck should be proof enough that this game is not fair to f2p players. Card packs are an incredibly slow way to grow your collection given how incredibly rare epic/legendary cards are compared to how difficult it is to get packs, and how little dust you get from dusting them (1/8th dust for a common is absurdly low. They should be 10 dust a piece). You shouldn't need to spend half your life playing a game in order to get to the point where you have enough in your collection to win games vs players with meta decks.

That's true enough, but only if you limit yourself to meta decks. All you really need is to be familiar enough with the card pool to look at the decks you're up against, figure out what would beat them, and make that deck.

I mean, a couple weeks ago I got the quest to play divine shield minions, which is generally gimmicky as all heck. I wanted to free up the slot, so I made a Warlock deck packed with them, and knocked out my 5 Warlock win quest in one streak. The point is, I'm far being pro at this, but I took what I knew about basic hearthstone mechanics, applied it in a way that made sense (I looked at the available divine shield minions and figured out how I could make a tempo deck around them, using Warlock eliminated the need to worry about draw), and went and won some games. It can be done.

I won't bore you with stories about wacky decks I made and won with, except that I will tell you that most satisfying Antonidas wins can only come when you're playing a Rogue. The point is that it can be done, but you can't just look at a tier list and try and build a deck with cards you don't have. You have to look at your collection and figure out what you can do.
p2w is probably true on the first month of every expansion, when f2p are still catching up and saving dust to see what's gonna be good. other then that...
Aside from logic, aside from design, aside from skill, ... how can you say 100% p2w to something with so much RNG in it? This is just absolutely impossible, not in theory, normin practice.
Oh come on.

If you think this is pay to win, you have not played a pay to win game. It's not even friggin' close. It's like you've not only been sheltered from mobile 'gaming', but you've also never touched an F2P MMO.

You want pay-to-win? Try shelling out $4 for an enhancement protection rune, then another $8 for an enchantment protection rune, and having to buy at least two of each to make sure the weapon you're improving doesn't get reset to zero. I remember hearing people complaining about the randomness of loot boxes, and those actually refund you a currency when you get a duplicate that can be used to get more stuff of your choice - that's not the case in some other games, you know?

Honestly, when it comes to games not being complete tools about this kind of thing, the bar is set pretty low.