Now that looks extremely shady...

Play Mode Discussion
So I don't know how many of you saw the thread about the TOS and the way Blizz handles collecting data that was posted earlier.
The OP was saying that the methods used were Orwellian and what-not.
Anyway, nobody should be surprised by Blizz selling their info to ad groups.
But what should surprise (and possibly concern) you is that thread got nuked from orbit.
There really isn't a reason to do that.
Unless...
Big Brother, is that you?
Well as they gave zero explanation. Looks like i'll be leaving battle.net uninstalled. Later guys.
Correction:

Activision. Not Blizzard. They dont handle finance/marketing
Actually the fact that the thread was deleted is extremely concerning. Uninstalling.
Ive been playing hearthstone since day 1 after it launched and wasnt in closed beta anymore. Have never had a problem. Granted the thread revealed some info that i was completely oblivious to. But then again, ive never had an issue so i dont see the reason to suddenly freak out lol
09/13/2017 02:38 PMPosted by Nighthawk17
Ive been playing hearthstone since day 1 after it launched and wasnt in closed beta anymore. Have never had a problem. Granted the thread revealed some info that i was completely oblivious to. But then again, ive never had an issue so i dont see the reason to suddenly freak out lol

It's more that a thread raising these questions was deleted rather than addressed. Ample enough reason to freak out a bit
If true that's pretty annoying because I really don't want to be flooded with more junk mail from ad's just so they can make money... I dunno I can't say I am surprised by this "if true".
I wish I still had Mand's post copied because he addressed a lot of the concerns with further quotes from Blizzards privacy policy.

I wish they would have posted something if they were gonna delete that thread.
09/13/2017 02:00 PMPosted by LetumVos
So I don't know how many of you saw the thread about the TOS and the way Blizz handles collecting data that was posted earlier.
But what should surprise (and possibly concern) you is that thread got nuked from orbit.
Unless...

If only people would scrutinize their governments as much as they do their entertainment.
09/13/2017 03:13 PMPosted by DazRedikurus
Unless...

If only people would scrutinize their governments as much as they do their entertainment.

Oh I scrutinize government too.
I freaked out when I read the draft of The Patriot Act for example.
But most people are oblivious to anything that isn't directly impacting them in an immediate and tangible fashion.
I saw the thread, I did not know it was nuked. So it might be true?
09/13/2017 05:52 PMPosted by Archvile
I saw the thread, I did not know it was nuked. So it might be true?
Not really. Mand outlined why a lot of the concerns were addressed by direct quotes from their privacy policy.
ToS/EULA like someone said in the other thread are out of control.

The hidden price for anything offered for "free".

For example, Facebook collects all your personal info, then tailors ads directly for you.

Some companies even go behind your back and just collect extremely sensitive info like your SS number, financial info, etc akin to the big 3 Credit monitoring companies.

Most people call me crazy for having a computer that I only play games on, and having a second one that has outdated operating system( Windows 10 is constantly sending data to Windows) that I do all my business with like online banking and Etrade account.
09/13/2017 02:43 PMPosted by NinjaKnight
09/13/2017 02:38 PMPosted by Nighthawk17

It's more that a thread raising these questions was deleted rather than addressed. Ample enough reason to freak out a bit

Still doesnt change that nothing negative has happened to me regarding this. Just because a thread was made and deleted doesnt change that fact, and doesnt give reason for me to expect something negative to happen in the future. People just like conspiracies
Mods are human and do dumb things.

This shouldn't be news to anyone. There is nothing shadier in Battle.net's ToS than in Facebook's, or Google's, or any other app-based program.

Every so often some wag decides he knows more than contract lawyers and re-interprets things in such a way to try to scare as many as possible. (I seem to recall a similar post from this current thread's OP, so: birds of a feather?)

Yes, Facebook needs access to your location in the ToS, else the functionality of their OPTIONAL location-based content would never work, whether you've asked for it or not. No, it doesn't mean that FB is keeping tabs on you wherever you go. Your location isn't worth the storage space.

Yes, Google needs access to you speakers in their ToS, else the OPTIONAL "OK, Google" voice commands won't work, even if you've payed for their higher end voice to text services. No, this doesn't mean they're recording everything you say. What you say isn't important enough for anyone to care.

Yes, Blizzard needs to know what other programs you are running concurrently with their games. This helps prevent hacking and botting. No, this doesn't mean that they are selling your browser history to Amazon or the Russians.

Honestly, nobody wants to see that.
09/13/2017 07:53 PMPosted by Tao
Mods are human and do dumb things.

This shouldn't be news to anyone. There is nothing shadier in Battle.net's ToS than in Facebook's, or Google's, or any other app-based program.

Every so often some wag decides he knows more than contract lawyers and re-interprets things in such a way to try to scare as many as possible. (I seem to recall a similar post from this current thread's OP, so: birds of a feather?)

Yes, Facebook needs access to your location in the ToS, else the functionality of their OPTIONAL location-based content would never work, whether you've asked for it or not. No, it doesn't mean that FB is keeping tabs on you wherever you go. Your location isn't worth the storage space.

Yes, Google needs access to you speakers in their ToS, else the OPTIONAL "OK, Google" voice commands won't work, even if you've payed for their higher end voice to text services. No, this doesn't mean they're recording everything you say. What you say isn't important enough for anyone to care.

Yes, Blizzard needs to know what other programs you are running concurrently with their games. This helps prevent hacking and botting. No, this doesn't mean that they are selling your browser history to Amazon or the Russians.

Honestly, nobody wants to see that.
lol and you know all of this because you work for them, or you just think you know?
09/13/2017 07:35 PMPosted by Nighthawk17
09/13/2017 02:43 PMPosted by NinjaKnight

Still doesnt change that nothing negative has happened to me regarding this. Just because a thread was made and deleted doesnt change that fact, and doesnt give reason for me to expect something negative to happen in the future. People just like conspiracies

That you're presently aware of anyway. This is a valid concern for the consumer and a lack of transparency plus the concealment of said concerns is more than enough reason to not give them the benefit if the doubt. A blue response might've effectively quelled some anxiety but they instead chose to stop people from even seeing it.
09/13/2017 08:16 PMPosted by Lampheezy
lol and you know all of this because you work for them, or you just think you know?

Nah, and even if I did work for Blizzard, that'd be an ineffective argument to change people's minds. (If you think the company is shady, why would you believe someone who works there?)

Instead I use logic.

Basic economic theory states that price varies inversely with availability. Want a violin? The mass produced made-in-China one will cost less than a Stradivarius.

What does this have to do with cyber security? Well, people appear on a security spectrum, with one end having all on-line interactions on a dedicated machine with no personal info, connected through proxy, VPN and wiped regularly; while the other end puts in their name email address to download the pretty cat wallpaper and are still waiting for their free iPads that they keep winning to show up.

Most people are in somewhere in the middle.

Regardless of where you personally fall, consider the average individual, and how many apps they have installed on their phone/tablet and how many programs they have running while connected to the Internet. Each and every one of these could be gathering and selling information. (Sorry, paranoid people, this isn't going to help.)

Now, if each and every app can be gathering and selling information, what do you expect the price of that info to be? The higher that number, the more likely that multiple unscrupulous companies will try to cash in on it, driving the market down. (I don't have any real numbers here, but I seem to recall when telemarketing was at its hay-day, a list of active numbers could be sold for 0.25c US. Thats completely anecdotal, and dredged up from years ago, so take it as you may.)

Enter Blizzard. In 2016 Hearthstone pulled in nearly 400 million, over a quarter of the 1.4 billion dollar digital card market. (Source https://www.google.com/amp/s/venturebeat.com/2017/01/28/superdata-hearthstone-trumps-all-comers-in-card-market-that-will-hit-1-4-billion-in-2017/amp/ )

If you think that they are greedy enough to rob you, use that same greed to check your paranoia. Why would any company as old and savvy as Blizzard risk a cash cow like that for the peanuts that could be gathered by anyone else with far less to lose?

The same argument holds against the whole blow up a few years ago with people who didn't understand contracts freaking out about Facebook permissions. The legal battle alone would cost more than the info would sell for.
I don't see how that thread violated the code of conduct unless i am missing something. Since it was highly rated at like 60 upvotes last time i checked, i d say that it's kind of a weird move to delete the thread. I might be wrong though but i really didn't see a conflict with code of conduct