The first 2 weeks of my hearthstone experience..

New Player Tavern
Is it possible that some of the hearthstone game designers have downs syndrome? I don't know how else to explain the fact that, as a new player with maybe 4 legendaries in total, I only play against people with so much better cards.
How does blizzard expect to retain new players if the matchmaking system is so broken? It isn't exactly fun to constantly lose because your opponent has much better cards than you.
Free to play my !@#.
I get 1 quest a day, to get on avg 50 gold, which is roughly 1 pack every 2 days. The only way to be viable in this game is to spend money. It is not free to play. Blizzard has done a terrible job of making Hearthstone new-player friendly and a great job of matching new players with opponents that have such a card advantage there is no chance of winning. gj
There is no matcmaking system you're getting matched with people at random after a couple of weeks or so
Go watch Trump's KFC free-to-play runs on Youtube. Aside from his one crazy Arena run (no new player gets more than few wins, I think he got 11 or 12) he's playing with what any new player would have for cards. I think he was already Rank 15 in the last video I watched. Disguised Toast played a F2P Hunter to Legend a couple months ago, and tanked Arena on purpose so as not to have any unfair card advantage over new players. It CAN be done.

New players have several advantages that previous players didn't, especially the 1 legendary for the 1st 10 packs thing, and the free legendary hero card from doing the first battle in the Ice Crown adventure. With a legendary hero and 5 legendaries (from packs) to play or dust, a new player can quickly make a competitive deck (assuming they take the time to research which meta decks are inexpensive to craft.)

But look, I'm not saying any new player can or will make Legend in their first month, or even their first few months. Rank 15 is a good starting goal, requiring some effort but not being out of reach even for new players.
Okay. So I've been playing this game for one, maximum two weeks. I've dealt, and still deal with LOTS of frustration. At first, because I didn't have any worthy cards, and always got coupled up with p2w opponents. Which meant, I was getting humiliated in rows. You'd have no idea how many games I conceded from the first 2-3 rouns realising I stand no chance before that guy's legendaries. I still ragequit everytime I see a C'thun. C'thun is my biggest no-no. I won't play against that, ever. Same for priests. I concede whenever I get pitched up against a priest because I have no actual way of winning against any, even with a good deck.

I eventually got some more worthy cards, I bought the welcome bundle, and I constructed a "low-cost" warlock deck with dust gathered from disenchanting a tonne of cards. That deck took me, very slowly because I still got humiliated over and over again and still conceded every 2 matches, to rank 20. I made it into rank 20 with a lot, a huge lot of nerves, anger, frustration at having 1 win between 10 or more losses each time. It's starting to get a bit, very bit better, I can actually hold a fight if my opponent doesn't have terribly OP cards (like C'thun) or isn't a priest.

I still lose a lot, and now I am facing the fear of playing in ranked any longer, because if I win once, and then I lose, I lose the star I won previously. And, despite what everyone will tell you, this game is RULED by RNG. So if you don't get lucky with the cards you need at the right time, the best you can do is pester your opponent until they inevitably destroy you. That, unless during your pestering you happen to get lucky.

I have watched the Trump videos. I would recommend them to you, however, bear in mind, every one of them will give you some basics about the class and such, however, most of the things he teaches there are hardly applicable if you're faced with a p2w player whose cards are ridiculously superior to yours.

My honest advice would be to look up the guides, learn what you can from them, level all your classes at least to 10, and well, not much else you can do beside that. Try out ranked, and play down to rank 20, but by all means, save yourself the frustration and don't try to get to any rank below that. You'll lose any stars you have gained after 20, so say, if you win a game from 20 and are 20 and 1 star, then you lose again, you turn back to 20 and 0 stars. It only gets worse when you actually get to 18 or so then start losing in rows and lose all the progress.
Getting higher ranks as a F2P is possible, you may be restricted to certain decks at the beginning as you are low on dust and cards in your collection.

In my first month I got to Rank 16 with my crappy mage deck (but I was able to win with Pyroblast as a finisher). I did find myself falling to Rank 20/19 quite a few times during that month.

My second month (September), I got to Rank 15 with a similar crappy mage deck, then decided to craft Mid-range hunter. I didn't even fully upgrade it until I got to Rank 9, and I finished at Rank 5.

This month I got to Rank 12 in the first week, and have been stuck at around Rank 10/9 this week.

I will say this however. As a new player, you are kinda forced to learn to play well to have a consistent chance to win over the power level of your opponents. I have been able to punish players who just play badly with their better decks (eg: going face when they should be trading), and because your deck is worse than theirs, you have to look into controlling the early/mid game and finish the game quickly, before they get too much value out of their cards. That is, if you want to win games consistently. I play fun decks in casual that I know are not viable to climb ranked with.
10/14/2017 10:44 AMPosted by Frostheart
I still ragequit everytime I see a C'thun. C'thun is my biggest no-no. I won't play against that, ever. Same for priests. I concede whenever I get pitched up against a priest because I have no actual way of winning against any, even with a good deck.

C'Thun decks are not that hard to beat, they are quite slow. By the time they want to play C'Thun, you want to be far ahead enough that they play it out of desperation. If they are already winning before they play C'Thun, then well, it's not C'Thun that's winning them that game.

If it's Razakus priest, it's significantly harder. Because even with knowledge of what cards they are going to usually play, you know you have limited time to pressure them before they play Anduin. But the general strategy against priest is that they are weak to burst and constant pressure, especially in early-mid game.
10/13/2017 03:39 PMPosted by Rawfeeki
Blizzard has done a terrible job of making Hearthstone new-player friendly and a great job of matching new players with opponents that have such a card advantage there is no chance of winning. gj

You're right. It's a trap. If they were actually doing a good job and making an effort towards a quality of life and improvements people should expect for spending $150/year to play their game, it would not be so disgusting.
10/14/2017 04:40 PMPosted by Jonius
10/14/2017 10:44 AMPosted by Frostheart
I still ragequit everytime I see a C'thun. C'thun is my biggest no-no. I won't play against that, ever. Same for priests. I concede whenever I get pitched up against a priest because I have no actual way of winning against any, even with a good deck.

C'Thun decks are not that hard to beat, they are quite slow. By the time they want to play C'Thun, you want to be far ahead enough that they play it out of desperation. If they are already winning before they play C'Thun, then well, it's not C'Thun that's winning them that game.

If it's Razakus priest, it's significantly harder. Because even with knowledge of what cards they are going to usually play, you know you have limited time to pressure them before they play Anduin. But the general strategy against priest is that they are weak to burst and constant pressure, especially in early-mid game.

I lost last night against a C'thun priest. How? Well, we kept playing. 30+ minutes. I was down to my last 10 health, he was still constantly up to 25+ because roflselfheals. We both end up playing the only card in hand each turn. I decide to not give up and keep hoping I still have a chance. Both our packs had about 10 cards left in them. Then when I was around 6 health and had a 5 health minion on the table, my opponent draws a 6/6 roflC'thun, plays it, and all its 6 damage goes to me and kills me. So I don't believe one bloody word. It's impossible to win against C'thuns, and priests. And if they're combined, well... might as well give up from the get-go.
10/15/2017 02:27 AMPosted by Frostheart
I lost last night against a C'thun priest. How? Well, we kept playing. 30+ minutes. I was down to my last 10 health, he was still constantly up to 25+ because roflselfheals. We both end up playing the only card in hand each turn. I decide to not give up and keep hoping I still have a chance. Both our packs had about 10 cards left in them. Then when I was around 6 health and had a 5 health minion on the table, my opponent draws a 6/6 roflC'thun, plays it, and all its 6 damage goes to me and kills me. So I don't believe one bloody word. It's impossible to win against C'thuns, and priests. And if they're combined, well... might as well give up from the get-go.
The only C'thun deck that is remotely viable is warrior's. Even druid who has really strong C'thun cards is consider weak as of now, let alone priest. C'thun decks are really not that hard to beat. If you think otherwise, sorry, this is where the difference in experience/skill comes in. Ask any high rank/good player/pros. They will say the same thing.

That said. That doesn't seem like a C'thun deck though, it being 6/6 when only 10 cards are left. Seems more like Malchezaar added C'thun or something.
You didn't lose to C'thun. You lost to bs rng moment. And rng is not the sole reason you lost either. Razakus priest and Big priest are the oppressive ones. Other priest deck archetype not so much.
The problem arises when you don't seem to really know if it were a C'thun deck or not. If it indeed was a C'thun deck, seems really unlikely that your opponent got no C'thun buffer cards. You're even saying you lost to a deck that drew no C'thun buffers for that matter, a deck that didn't serve its purpose as a C'thun deck.
10/15/2017 02:54 AMPosted by sky3union
10/15/2017 02:27 AMPosted by Frostheart
The only C'thun deck that is remotely viable is warrior's. Even druid who has really strong C'thun cards is consider weak as of now, let alone priest. C'thun decks are really not that hard to beat. If you think otherwise, sorry, this is where the difference in experience/skill comes in. Ask any high rank/good player/pros. They will say the same thing.

That said. That doesn't seem like a C'thun deck though, it being 6/6 when only 10 cards are left. Seems more like Malchezaar added C'thun or something.
You didn't lose to C'thun. You lost to bs rng moment. And rng is not the sole reason you lost either. Razakus priest and Big priest are the oppressive ones. Other priest deck archetype not so much.
The problem arises when you don't seem to really know if it were a C'thun deck or not. If it indeed was a C'thun deck, seems really unlikely that your opponent got no C'thun buffer cards. You're even saying you lost to a deck that drew no C'thun buffers for that matter, a deck that didn't serve its purpose as a C'thun deck.

Maybe his buffers were among those 9 cards left in his deck. Either way, that C'thun ruined my entire damn game, made me waste probably more than half-an-hour hoping I may be able to turn the game around. Don't even get me started on when someone raises a C'thun to like 20+ and oneshots you. I've been there so many times, I don't even want to remember. C'thun is a horribly bs card, so unless you're really lucky, there's no way to counter it. His effect is a battlecry, so it's not a situation of "Eh, he'll play it then I can sheep it or destroy it with hard removal". Once he plays it, its effect already goes off, and there's nothing to be done against that.

So again, priests and C'thun are the most irritating and infuriating things in this game.
Save 100 gold and buy one whispers of the old gods pack to get a c'thun of your own. With the first Wotg pack you get a free c'thun and 2 guys to buff him.
You could craft the core of C'thun deck with few hundred dust and that would show you how bad they really are (you really should not waste dust on C'thun stuff). If you are struggling to get to rank 20, especially mid-month, you have a lot of basics to learn about the game.
10/15/2017 03:08 AMPosted by Frostheart

Either way, that C'thun ruined my entire damn game, made me waste probably more than half-an-hour hoping I may be able to turn the game around.

So you were already in a losing position and yet you're blaming C'Thun for your loss.

And I said:

If they are already winning before they play C'Thun, then well, it's not C'Thun that's winning them that game.

What I'm seeing is, it's in human nature to remember the most powerful things your opponent played in a game you lost, namely C'Thun and other 'OP cards'. However if you really want to get better at the game, you gotta look at what actually may have lost you the game. Not C'Thun, but the moves before it. How did your opponent reduce your health to 6? Did you have control of the board? If so, did you lose it and how did you lose it? Did the opponent use any board clears for instance?

If instead, the 6 damage didn't kill you, what's more important is did you have anything that could take care of the 6/6 body on the board? Your opponent could have played any large minion and you'd still be in a similar situation, unable to take it down with your 5/5, leaving them to hit you next turn. (Not to say that having a 6/6 C'Thun is a pretty weak play on the opponent's part.)

Also, perhaps you can post some replays here, and we can take a look and see what's going on.
It gets better keep your head up.
1st, you can make up to 100g a day from 30 total wins, 10g per 3 wins.
2nd, you get a free legendary from
1st old gods pack, from doing
the free frozen throne adventure

and guaranteed a legendary within 1st 10 packs of each card set you open (unless you played and already opened several packs before they implimented that mechanic)
after the leg from 1st 10 packs it goes to 1 out of 40 packs for legendary
and 1 out of 10 packs for epics.
plus you have the welcome pack bundle which most people even trying to be free to play could purchase at some point just for the guarantteed legendary from classic set and a batch of classic cards packs.

and both DisguisedToast and TrumpSC from twitch tv streams have made youtube vids and even now have been doing current free to play new accounts showing its possible to have viable decks in ranked.
they also only win 1 maybe 2 times in arena for the rewrds and retire the arena deck to simulate a new player only getting maybe 1-2 wins tops.

watching what they do may give insight, but you also need to know which cards are practically useless before dusting them.

And last but not least. until you have the experience of playing a game of this type and have gained the knowledge of which cards are in the game and what they do, how to use them or counter them, then you will struggle until you do.

You wouldnt say, start college and go to a language class and expect to speak fluent *language* after a couple classes would you?
I played a hunter exclusively in my first month and got to rank 10, that was before the recent aggro nerf. Nowadays, the same hunter deck is legend viable and it’s under 2k dust or so.
10/15/2017 09:37 AMPosted by Jonius
10/15/2017 03:08 AMPosted by Frostheart

Either way, that C'thun ruined my entire damn game, made me waste probably more than half-an-hour hoping I may be able to turn the game around.

So you were already in a losing position and yet you're blaming C'Thun for your loss.

And I said:

If they are already winning before they play C'Thun, then well, it's not C'Thun that's winning them that game.

What I'm seeing is, it's in human nature to remember the most powerful things your opponent played in a game you lost, namely C'Thun and other 'OP cards'. However if you really want to get better at the game, you gotta look at what actually may have lost you the game. Not C'Thun, but the moves before it. How did your opponent reduce your health to 6? Did you have control of the board? If so, did you lose it and how did you lose it? Did the opponent use any board clears for instance?

If instead, the 6 damage didn't kill you, what's more important is did you have anything that could take care of the 6/6 body on the board? Your opponent could have played any large minion and you'd still be in a similar situation, unable to take it down with your 5/5, leaving them to hit you next turn. (Not to say that having a 6/6 C'Thun is a pretty weak play on the opponent's part.)

Also, perhaps you can post some replays here, and we can take a look and see what's going on.

I had something to deal with his C'thun if not for that retarded battlecry of his. My own minion. Also, I don't do the whole "replay" thing so I can't post any kind of replays. I got to 6 health because I kept the damned board control, hence the fact that he was down to his drawn card each turn. Sure, it was the same for me, but I bloody cleared his board. Even got him to a fairly low health, but he managed to heal over time because roflselfheals. While I didn't have any self healing stuff, just the two armor each turn. Managed to get to 12, he took me back down, got to 10+ again, he got me back down again, so on and so forth. The suddenly roflCthun and I was done for. Why? Because he was a priest, that's why. And secondly because he had a C'thun. But mainly because he was a priest, and priests are effing ridiculous.

It's so sad when you just assume I lost because I stupidly threw cards on the board and expected them to work, when I actually take my damn sweet time thinking of everything. I'm not stupid, even if I'm fairly new. That's exactly what's even more infuriating when losing such a long match. All my thinking and planning and everything was thrown to the garbage because of 1 card and because I played against a class that is the most irritatingly ridiculous one.
10/15/2017 12:29 PMPosted by Frostheart
It's so sad when you just assume I lost because I stupidly threw cards on the board and expected them to work, when I actually take my damn sweet time thinking of everything. I'm not stupid, even if I'm fairly new. That's exactly what's even more infuriating when losing such a long match. All my thinking and planning and everything was thrown to the garbage because of 1 card and because I played against a class that is the most irritatingly ridiculous one.

I been playing this game for 2 years and I know that I'm still far from perfect. Every time I watch Kripp play - I realize how far much ahead he is thinking that I can even imagine.

So if you want REAL HELP - why don't really record and post a replay?
10/15/2017 01:40 PMPosted by ChaosSlayer
10/15/2017 12:29 PMPosted by Frostheart

I been playing this game for 2 years and I know that I'm still far from perfect. Every time I watch Kripp play - I realize how far much ahead he is thinking that I can even imagine.

So if you want REAL HELP - why don't really record and post a replay?

Every game is different. Every opponent is different, everyone will probably use a different deck from the next person. So, say, I play against someone, post the play, and you point out whatever I did wrong. How's that going to help me in any way other than just give me a broadly general direction? I most likely won't be faced with the same situation again, so what exactly do I gain from that? As I said before, I've watched the Trump teachings and have the basics of how every class plays down. Hell, I'm even able to spot opponent mistakes when they make them, and sometimes it is helpful, sometimes, though not so often, I can exploit them. But everyone plays differently, so that's as far as all that will take me.

Maybe I will someday do the whole replay thing. My biggest gripe right now is the fact that having super OP cards and RNG luck dictates half of how the game plays. Have OP cards and a bit of luck with drawing them at the time, steamroll people. Especially newbies. Sure, maybe you'll have a hard time doing that with someone who's been playing for years.

Look, another example would be how I lost to a Malchezzar after holding the board control and being on the top of the game for 70% of the time with a warlock. Then Malchezzar happens and I lose in a few turns. RNG pissed on me and I didn't draw Blood Reaver Gul'dan for the whole game. If I had drawn him, I'd have had 4 demons to spawn all at once. But it didn't happen, so the other guy bursted me down like there was no tomorrow.
You're losing to weak cards like C'thun and Malchezaar. There are things to learn, even if you claim otherwise.