Do you guys remember a time when

Play Mode Discussion
You could spend $60 once and have access to a FULLY DEVELOPED game right off the bat? And the worst thing you could expect to have to pay additional money for was the occasional $15 expansion pack - back when expansion packs were actual expansions? And you always got exactly what you needed to be competitive every expansion?

Wish I could play this game, but I can't afford to dump hundreds of dollars into it anymore.
Traditional card (collectible ones) games usually require you to buy packs though.

I remember when games didn't have all those DLC... Wanted to change your outfit? Use another item.

Nowadays... want to use another color? Showmethemoney
HS is certainly getting expensive an is making the game coming across as greedy for a Blizzard game. Every other Blizzard game has had sales, even on Black Friday but HS this past year.

I spent money on a prepurchase for Kobolds, that's $50 for 50 packs an a cosmetic card back. I haven't bought random packs in a long time cause the value is pretty bad when you do it a few times.

I personally think lowering prices on packs before a rotation or when a new set comes out older packs get a discount to promote people to open their wallets. Ohh an the Blizzard store should sell hero skins instead of making us jump through stupid hoops for skins.
01/16/2018 07:52 PMPosted by Theman
HS is certainly getting expensive an is making the game coming across as greedy for a Blizzard game. Every other Blizzard game has had sales, even on Black Friday but HS this past year.

I spent money on a prepurchase for Kobolds, that's $50 for 50 packs an a cosmetic card back. I haven't bought random packs in a long time cause the value is pretty bad when you do it a few times.

I personally think lowering prices on packs before a rotation or when a new set comes out older packs get a discount to promote people to open their wallets. Ohh an the Blizzard store should sell hero skins instead of making us jump through stupid hoops for skins.

I wish every set had that "starter set" deal --- that $10 deal for 10 packs and 1 guaranteed class legendary.

I would drop $10 every set, which is, IMO, pretty good, even for Blizzard (since I suspect that any players who pre-purchase will also buy this).
I remember a time when games were like that. None of them happened to have the words card or collectible in them however.
01/16/2018 08:01 PMPosted by Blabbit
I remember a time when games were like that. None of them happened to have the words card or collectible in them however.

I don't know why you assign special value to card games... as if the fact that they've been expensive due to their exclusive crowd in the past somehow means it's okay to make a video game counterpart that costs hundreds of dollars to have full access to simply because it follows the same format. In a modern world where this game has to compete with other titles, I think it's really unreasonable to expect someone to spend hundreds of dollars every time an expansion drops for full access to the expansion.

It's not like they're spending money to print the cards either - this it literally a virtual shakedown.
01/16/2018 08:05 PMPosted by MoonMan
I don't know why you assign special value to card games.

Card collecting has never been a 60 bucks and done hobby is why. You try to lump this in with all video games when it is clearly not like all other video games. That is why.

It's not like they're spending money to print the cards either - this it literally a virtual shakedown.

They however are spending money. Therefore the can make money. You choosing to let it be yours or not is on you not them however.
01/16/2018 07:46 PMPosted by MoonMan
You could spend $60 once and have access to a FULLY DEVELOPED game right off the bat? And the worst thing you could expect to have to pay additional money for was the occasional $15 expansion pack - back when expansion packs were actual expansions? And you always got exactly what you needed to be competitive every expansion?

Wish I could play this game, but I can't afford to dump hundreds of dollars into it anymore.

Sure and if you want to complain about Destiny 2 for instance this would be a good argument (or Total War:Warhammer.... hate the constant stream of expansions)

Want to know what this isn't a good argument for.... card games. Listen, they are a money and time sink but the good thing is... they're also a time sink =) I love the genre but in no way is it the best value for your $. Want that in gaming? I'd recommend ARPGs personally (PoE, D3, Grim Dawn, etc.) but CCGs are near the bottom in my opinion if not at the bottom; however, I liek the aspect of card games so I will always be playing one from some company now that they've succesfully jumped ot digital (Magic had never figured this out) =)
Do you remember a time when people chose informative subjects for their threads instead of just blurting out one stream of dribble.
This is a collectable card game.

They're all like this.
01/16/2018 08:16 PMPosted by Blabbit
I don't know why you assign special value to card games.

Card collecting has never been a 60 bucks and done hobby is why. You try to lump this in with all video games when it is clearly not like all other video games. That is why.

They however are spending money. Therefore the can make money. You choosing to let it be yours or not is on you not them however.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_tradition

And this game appeals a different crowd than just traditional card collectors. I'd be willing to bet that, outside of the hive-mind echo chamber that is this forum, the majority of people who play Hearthstone, play it primarily for the game itself, and not the collecting element, and would gladly welcome a cut in pack prices so as to allow better accessibility to a greater variety of deck archetypes.
[quote="207594383268"]
And this game appeals a different crowd than just traditional card collectors. I'd be willing to bet that, outside of the hive-mind echo chamber that is this forum, the majority of people who play Hearthstone, play it primarily for the game itself, and not the collecting element

And the basis for this belief is... what?
01/16/2018 10:18 PMPosted by MoonMan
01/16/2018 08:16 PMPosted by Blabbit

And this game appeals a different crowd than just traditional card collectors. I'd be willing to bet that, outside of the hive-mind echo chamber that is this forum, the majority of people who play Hearthstone, play it primarily for the game itself, and not the collecting element, and would gladly welcome a cut in pack prices so as to allow better accessibility to a greater variety of deck archetypes.

While this statement is true, it's pretty much universally applicable.

The answer to:
"Do you want a discount for [insert product here]?"
is always
"Yes. Yes, I do."

Is the price point for Hearthstone too expensive for me to consider spending money? Absolutely.

Do I find the game enjoyable on an F2P basis? Definitely.

Would the game earn more money if they dropped the price point? That's a difficult question to answer. I'm suspicious that it might, but I imagine that someone at Blizzard HQ is running the numbers and clearly their answer is no.

Still, it would definitely be nice if there were some rewarding small purchases for casual spenders, like the old adventures, or the starter pack.
If you consider Yu-Gi-Oh! The Duelists of the Roses for the PS2 something close to a CCG, then yes, time has changed. I remember using Gameshark to cheat out the remaining cards that were missing since they were a pain to get from the slot machine RNG or not having the physical card to input the code. Fun times I had with this game.
01/16/2018 10:57 PMPosted by Beaky
01/16/2018 10:18 PMPosted by MoonMan

While this statement is true, it's pretty much universally applicable.

The answer to:
"Do you want a discount for [insert product here]?"
is always
"Yes. Yes, I do."

Is the price point for Hearthstone too expensive for me to consider spending money? Absolutely.

Do I find the game enjoyable on an F2P basis? Definitely.

Would the game earn more money if they dropped the price point? That's a difficult question to answer. I'm suspicious that it might, but I imagine that someone at Blizzard HQ is running the numbers and clearly their answer is no.

Still, it would definitely be nice if there were some rewarding small purchases for casual spenders, like the old adventures, or the starter pack.

Based on some of the replies I've seen here, some people appear perfectly content with the current pack prices.
01/16/2018 11:04 PMPosted by MoonMan
Based on some of the replies I've seen here, some people appear perfectly content with the current pack prices.

That's to be expected.

Products have a different value to each person. If that subjective value exceeds the product's cost, they buy it. If that product's subjective value doesn't exceed its cost, they don't buy it.

People paying for it right now would still be paying for it if the cost dropped and may even buy more of it. People who don't buy it now may pay for it if the cost drops below their value point.

The question is always, from a business stand-point, would the additional income from new buyers exceed the loss in income from the drop in price?
01/16/2018 08:35 PMPosted by Swift
This is a collectable card game.

They're all like this.

No, this is a video game.

One of the most expensive ones.
HS is just a milk cow. There is really no reason to make new threads about this issue.

1)Does the value provided by packs you buy is good or terrible in your opinion? = pay/do not pay

2) Do you enjoy this game in its current form? = play/do not play

There is no way blizz would stop milking the money, so these are the only 2 questions you should ask yourself.

For me, the only reasonable value for the money spent is just a starter pack. Everything else seems like laughable value to me, outvalued by cost of other games (even AAA games)
Though I kinda enjoy HS from time to time so I play it few times a week when I do not have time to play other games.
I don't see why OP is receiving down votes. He isn't exactly wrong but there's arguments to be made both ways.

On one end, it's true that traditional card games had expansions and packs too but in traditional card games you can also trade and sell cards and that would help offset the cost of the game a bit. But that's something that HS and Blizz would never allow you to do since it would mean no more $$$ for them.

On the other hand, one can consider HS under a "Games as Service" business model. Where you keep paying but the trade off is that the developers keep working on the game. Afterall, those older times also meant that once a game was released, developers wouldn't work on the game anymore.
01/17/2018 01:55 AMPosted by Quillz
I don't see why OP is receiving down votes. He isn't exactly wrong but there's arguments to be made both ways.

On one end, it's true that traditional card games had expansions and packs too but in traditional card games you can also trade and sell cards and that would help offset the cost of the game a bit. But that's something that HS and Blizz would never allow you to do since it would mean no more $$$ for them.

On the other hand, hOnce can consider HS under a "Games as Service" business model. Where you keep paying but the trade off is that the developers keep working on the game. Afterall, those older times also meant that one a game was released, developers wouldn't work on the game anymore.
As another trade off, you earn in-game currency that gets you more cards simply by playing and winning. I don't earn money towards packs every time I beat someone in a real-life ccg.