Do you guys remember a time when

Play Mode Discussion
01/16/2018 07:46 PMPosted by MoonMan
You could spend $60 once and have access to a FULLY DEVELOPED game right off the bat?

No.

I remember when you'd spend $60 once and get whatever the developers had been able to rush out the door for whatever deadline they'd been lumbered with. I remember a few hours of core gameplay padded out with grind, repetition, and huge empty areas. I remember potentially game breaking bugs being something you just kind of lived with because patches weren't really a thing. I remember games with a tiny fraction of the content modern gamers take for granted, for an equivalent price.
Another post of a player who probably voted for Hillary. Not everything is handed to you bud. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but these days "free" games are trash. You want to have fun? Pay some money.

I spend a few hundred dollars each expansion. Heck I even spend real money everyday on arena runs. Spending gold is for chumps.
01/17/2018 02:00 AMPosted by Wardrum
01/17/2018 01:55 AMPosted by Quillz
I don't see why OP is receiving down votes. He isn't exactly wrong but there's arguments to be made both ways.

On one end, it's true that traditional card games had expansions and packs too but in traditional card games you can also trade and sell cards and that would help offset the cost of the game a bit. But that's something that HS and Blizz would never allow you to do since it would mean no more $$$ for them.

On the other hand, one can consider HS under a "Games as Service" business model. Where you keep paying but the trade off is that the developers keep working on the game. Afterall, those older times also meant that once a game was released, developers wouldn't work on the game anymore.
As another trade off, you earn in-game currency that gets you more cards simply by playing and winning. I don't earn money towards packs every time I beat someone in a real-life ccg.

I don't agree. I used to play Yu-gi-oh and my locals gave a participation booster pack durring many occasions.

Also, it's worth mentioning you get a little money for winning 3 times. By comparison, if you win as much in local tournaments of a TCG, you get prizes too.

And let's not kid ourselves. 10 coins for every three wins isn't really worth anyone's time. Heck it's intentionally remained so low so it psychologically manipulates you to want to buy packs to speed up the process.
I died when I read this primarily because of the truth in it, Hearthstone is free and the fact of the matter is there is more than likely a program that benefits money spending gamers, but games concerning console/PC gaming hahaha so true. #destiny2, RIP CoD mw2
You could spend $60 once and have access to a FULLY DEVELOPED game right off the bat? And the worst thing you could expect to have to pay additional money for was the occasional $15 expansion pack - back when expansion packs were actual expansions? And you always got exactly what you needed to be competitive every expansion?

Wish I could play this game, but I can't afford to dump hundreds of dollars into it anymore.
01/17/2018 03:16 AMPosted by Treestump
Another post of a player who probably voted for Hillary. Not everything is handed to you bud. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but these days "free" games are trash. You want to have fun? Pay some money.

I spend a few hundred dollars each expansion. Heck I even spend real money everyday on arena runs. Spending gold is for chumps.

Oh $h!t, lol I died again when I read this. This guy sounds like a total block head. If anybody has a personal opinion/belief don’t feel like you are so entitled that your opinion/belief is better than everybody else’s and if it doesn’t align with yours then they are wrong and stupid, because that is just incorrect. Also politics should not be discussed here so bottle that up please.
I don't know if this will help, but I've never had an issue playing this game without spending money.

I've been playing since launch and had one expansion (League of Explorers?) bought for me as a gift, otherwise, I've generally had cards/dust enough for 2 meta decks at any given time.

I suppose that is a different kind of investment, but overall, my collection is pretty small, since I only keep the cards I need.

Some months I barely play, but I aim to have about 3k gold saved up for any expansion. After I buy ~30 packs, I immediately start saving gold again.

Usually after about a month of an expansion being out, you know which cards are must-haves.
You could spend $60 once and have access to a FULLY DEVELOPED game right off the bat?

Specious logic. I remember back when I could buy a fully developed game that came in a cardboard box with instruction manuals, a cloth map, spell books, and all kind of other cool stuff. The cost and value of an item in a marketplace are not dependent on the cost and value of a different item. Arguing that one product MUST cost the same as a different product is nonsense.

Wish I could play this game, but I can't afford to dump hundreds of dollars into it anymore.

Then I have great news for you! You can easily and effectively play Hearthstone absolutely for free? You don't need to spend hundreds of dollars. You don't even need to spend one dollar. You can download the game right now and play it without paying a penny. You can also obtain lots of basic cards just for doing tutorials. Then you can get even more cards leveling heroes to 10. Then you can get free cards from playing games. You can also save up free in-game currency and buy tons of packs for each expansion. All your dreams have come true. Glad to deliver the happy tidings to you.

It's not like they're spending money to print the cards either - this it literally a virtual shakedown.

They don't print piece of cardboard. But they do have to run large server farms, pay programmers, network managers, hardware engineers, software engineers, and other professionals to update and maintain the ability of the game to interface across multiple platforms with over 50 million players. Hmmm... Gee, that's a lot of expensive stuff that cardboard card games DON'T have to do. It's almost like it all balances out...

I don't see why OP is receiving down votes. He isn't exactly wrong but there's arguments to be made both ways.

Manure attracts flies.
01/17/2018 03:19 AMPosted by Quillz
<span class="truncated">...</span>As another trade off, you earn in-game currency that gets you more cards simply by playing and winning. I don't earn money towards packs every time I beat someone in a real-life ccg.

I don't agree. I used to play Yu-gi-oh and my locals gave a participation booster pack durring many occasions.

Also, it's worth mentioning you get a little money for winning 3 times. By comparison, if you win as much in local tournaments of a TCG, you get prizes too.

And let's not kid ourselves. 10 coins for every three wins isn't really worth anyone's time. Heck it's intentionally remained so low so it psychologically manipulates you to want to buy packs to speed up the process.

First, on the 'payout for playing'

the 10g/3 wins is a minor portion of the actual gold one earns:
*~50 gold/day from quests, so 1 pack every 2 days.
* 1 pack per week from Tavern Brawl

So one earns 4.5 packs per week playing the game on a semi-consistent basis.

Now, personally I don't view these free card packs as the trade-off for not being able to trade/sell my cards. It is a nice feature but not why I am more than fine to make the trade-off.

Being able to play the game at 11pm on a Tuesday on my couch is why I am okay making the trade-off.

With a wife, kids, and work I don't want to have to schedule time out of a day to drive to my card shop and play cards with a diverse group of people. The convenience and 'always available' nature of CCGs is the best aspect of them. Do I wish we could trade cards? Hell Yes; however, if my loss for the convenience is this I'm perosnally fine with that trade-off. If I was 20 and in college it wouldn't be a great trade as I had a pool of players to play Magic with and a lot of free time. At 32 though the convenience more than outweighs the opportunity cost.
01/17/2018 10:13 AMPosted by TheRiddler
It's not like they're spending money to print the cards either - this it literally a virtual shakedown.

They don't print piece of cardboard. But they do have to run large server farms, pay programmers, network managers, hardware engineers, software engineers, and other professionals to update and maintain the ability of the game to interface across multiple platforms with over 50 million players. Hmmm... Gee, that's a lot of expensive stuff that cardboard card games DON'T have to do. It's almost like it all balances out...

Just to add-on the price to print and distribute the cards is fairly minimal. My guess based on the prices my company sets aside for our products would be that printing costs are probably, at most .30 per pack (using MTG here) and then shipping and handling are .05 per pack, and I'm being very generous on the SH&A costs here.
Another post of a player who probably voted for Hillary.

I dunno... guy's reminiscing about the good old days, very much a conservative thing.

It's also worth noting that gaming is - or was back in the day - a mostly white mostly male hobby. In other words the guy's probably part of the demographic that voted for Trump.

LIKING HS is more of a Hillary thing... I mean, the game is just so DIVERSE with murlocs and kobolds and all that

I remember when games were $60, had ~2-3 hours of actual content and never got any additional content or support (including bug fixes). When you wanted more, you had to buy a sequel with about the same content (maybe) for the same full retail price.

I'm not entirely sure at what point it was that gamers suddenly became so entitled, but there really aren't many other hobbies I've seen where people believe they deserve so much for so little.

EDIT: Also, there weren't achievements or awards, you actually played games for the fun and experience of playing it.
Remember when World of Warcraft had a subscription in order to help pay for the Massive upkeep and content patches? Oh wait...

Guys, while I really do agree for the most part you have to understand this is a COLLECTIBLE game... if you simply buy EVERY CARD outright then what's the point?

Everyone would have all the cards and identical decks from 3 different classes because that's all Team 5 can get balanced at once.
01/16/2018 08:05 PMPosted by MoonMan

No, but they are spending money to pay all the people working hard on this game that although you can dump money into to get the best deck, is still free, and they have to get money somehow.
I remember when new games were only $50. This was also pre-internet.

Your user name suits you well. A brainless treestump.
You could spend $60 once and have access to a FULLY DEVELOPED game right off the bat? And the worst thing you could expect to have to pay additional money for was the occasional $15 expansion pack - back when expansion packs were actual expansions? And you always got exactly what you needed to be competitive every expansion?

I can’t remember a single card collecting game that gives you full content for $60. And I witnessed them all, from Pokemon to Yugioh to Magic to Hearthstone.

Are you sure we are living in the same universe?

Sure. I remembered the time when games are NOT being made into "games as service" with "player engagement in mind" by "providing player choice" to bypass the game using micro transactions.

However Hearthstone nor CCG in general never had such a model so I'm not sure what this post is about.
01/18/2018 07:06 PMPosted by slapmyhed
I remember when new games were only $50. This was also pre-internet.

carts on the og nes where 55-75 dollars. For the 2600 they could get as high as 45. For fun go look up those value with inflation added.

And do you happen to know when the internet was actually a thing?
01/17/2018 03:00 AMPosted by Mmmrrrggglll

No.

I remember when you'd spend $60 once and get whatever the developers had been able to rush out the door for whatever deadline they'd been lumbered with. I remember a few hours of core gameplay padded out with grind, repetition, and huge empty areas. I remember potentially game breaking bugs being something you just kind of lived with because patches weren't really a thing. I remember games with a tiny fraction of the content modern gamers take for granted, for an equivalent price.

You were playing the wrong games..