What new game mechanics would you like to see?

Play Mode Discussion
01/14/2018 08:40 AMPosted by FriedBrotato
BANISH

Removes a minion from play, negating deathrattles and alao not adding to the ressurect pool. Won't be a cheap ability, but with a lot of the bigger things we are seeing recently, I think this is needed.

“Remove from game” works well in MTG, or at least it did many years ago when i played. Once something is removed from play, its almost impossible to get it back. I think MTG had cards to bring stuff back into the game, but was extremely limited, as remove from game was meant to be a permanent removal.
I'd like to see more ways for your hero to get statuses like Taunt or Cannot be Targeted. Valira DK already does Stealth so yeah, we're kinda already there.

Kobold Monk is a nice version of that, but I'd love to see it as a Battlecry: Your hero cannot be targeted by spells or hero powers until the start of your next turn for example.

On the topic of taunts, I really liked the Sparring Partner warrior card from... TGR I believe? It had some great uses both as a way to give Taunt to a friendly minion for extra defence or give taunt to an opponent's one to be able to trade into it if it's hidden behind another taunt.

I'm behind the idea for minions that need a sacrifice to come on the field. That might be done again with a Battlecry: Destroy a friendly minion, if no minion is destroyed - destroy this minion at the end of your turn. However that would be exploitable by ressurect priest decks so maybe a different wording?

I know it's a bad idea but I'd like to see hard counter cards (like how White Hole in Yu-Gi-Oh! exists solely to counter Black Hole and nothing else) but yeah... that would be terribad in HS.

After Rogue got Secrets this expansion, I'd love to see how it would work for other classes, but then again - class identity and stuff.

I remember seeing the idea of a "side-quest" in a bunch of custom cards, working like quests, but not starting in your hand and being a lot easier to be countered.
1. The ability to raise permanently the mana and/or health cap of heroes.

2 . Ability to cap the number cards that can be drawn in a turn even if only one turn.

3. Expansion on the Inspire mechanic to make it more used and more cards created using it.

4. Ability to make a card be summoned (I know one card has it, but maybe make this a permanent for the game buff) to play or not destroyed directly from the deck.

5. More potions. Maybe more minions that generate them as end of turn effect.

6. Reverse transformation and reverse silence effects.

7. Anti Aoe effects and protections for minions and some for heroes.

8. No silence needed complete destruction of a deathrattle minion for minions and in spell form (no trigger of effect).

9. More buffing of hero power (yes please agreeing with OP)

10. Reverse lifesteal (they will now lose life instead)
Deflect

Deflect is a minion ability which forces the opposing player to direct any spell attacks toward enemy targets with this ability.

It's basically a spell taunt. Note, this is for offensive spells only. This would do nothing to someone casting a secret or a buff.

Of course, some classes would be affected more than others but I also think the next xpac will have legendary spells and add neutral spells.
Possibly something that would go well with the "Deflect" status mentioned above would be Reflect status.

You could cast it on friendly or enemy minions, but it would make any spell targeting that minion choose a random valid target. If it hits another reflect minion you duplicate the spell with another random target. Chaos ensues.

Also, in general I'd like to see more "when this creature is targeted by a spell: do X" abilities.
One of the mechanics i enjoyed playing with in some other games.

I feel like during the grimy goons expansion, they could have taken a note from games like Eternal or that one Card game rpg with coyote people as the buff people. (I horribly forgot the name, but it had such a surprisingly fun single player mode campaign. )

Warcry: Whenever this minion/card successfully makes an attack, buff the next card played by +1/1/taunt/etc

For example something could look like this
Rallying Warleader: 2 mana 3/2 Warcry: After this minion successfully attacks, buff your next minion played by +1/1

Raging Axe: 3 mana 2/3: Warcry: When this weapon is used to attack a minion, increase it's attack by 1. (So 2, 3, then 4 damage if used to trade, but no increased strength for hitting face.)

There was another mechanic from a card game with cards that 'split', with smaller effects a bit undercosted per curve, say, for instance.

Mirror: When you draw this card, add another copy to your hand
Healing well: Mirror: 2 mana, heal 3 health and draw a card. (So, when drawn you get two, you can play one to heal up, or basically use it as a arcane intellect for 4 mana, but one of the best uses was discard fodder. It's a bit like firefly i suppose.)
Your opponent loses a card to summon one of your minions.
01/16/2018 10:13 AMPosted by Paf
Deflect

Deflect is a minion ability which forces the opposing player to direct any spell attacks toward enemy targets with this ability.

It's basically a spell taunt. Note, this is for offensive spells only. This would do nothing to someone casting a secret or a buff.

Of course, some classes would be affected more than others but I also think the next xpac will have legendary spells and add neutral spells.

I love this idea.
Poisoned copy: Anytime your opponent gets a copy of this card destroy it and you draw a copy and your opponent takes 6 damage.
01/16/2018 10:51 AMPosted by Sardontis
01/16/2018 10:13 AMPosted by Paf
Deflect

I love this idea.

TY, I also like the reflect idea above and also an absorb idea for spells.

The next xpac could be a spell heavy expansion focusing on magic and the Nexus, Malygos and ley lines etc.

Maybe involve Dalaran.
Hero-buffing cards: cards that give your hero additional HP (ignoring the cap), reduce the cost of hero powers, modify hero powers, or give heroes effects, like Poisonous, Taunt, or Divine Shield.

Aura cards: spells that remain in play, either permanently or for a set period of time, with ongoing effects.

New keywords: either replacing old effects or with useful new effects.

E.g.:
Mythic - Can't be targeted by spells or hero powers.
Hardened - Takes 1 less damage from minions and weapons.
Spell Ward +[x] - Reduce the damage of enemy spells by [x].
Infiltrator - Can target stealth minions. Does not trigger enemy secrets.
Cleeve - Also damages adjacent minions.

Ongoing support for previous archetypes: for example, C'thun could have gotten a few more disciples throughout the Year of the Kraken.

Neutral (or out-of-class) discard and overload: This could allow more fine-tune balancing of cards, so the cost doesn't always need to be exactly X mana. It also might justify mana-cheating cards outside of druid and rogue.

Tributes: Minions that require you to pay a cost to summon, attack, or use the effect of. This would go hand-in-hand with the above in allowing designers to fine-tune the balance of potentially interesting cards.
01/16/2018 11:22 AMPosted by Beaky
Hero-buffing cards: cards that give your hero additional HP (ignoring the cap), reduce the cost of hero powers, modify hero powers, or give heroes effects, like Poisonous, Taunt, or Divine Shield.

Aura cards: spells that remain in play, either permanently or for a set period of time, with ongoing effects.

New keywords: either replacing old effects or with useful new effects.

E.g.:
Mythic - Can't be targeted by spells or hero powers.
Hardened - Takes 1 less damage from minions and weapons.
Spell Ward +[x] - Reduce the damage of enemy spells by [x].
Infiltrator - Can target stealth minions. Does not trigger enemy secrets.
Cleeve - Also damages adjacent minions.

Ongoing support for previous archetypes: for example, C'thun could have gotten a few more disciples throughout the Year of the Kraken.

Neutral (or out-of-class) discard and overload: This could allow more fine-tune balancing of cards, so the cost doesn't always need to be exactly X mana. It also might justify mana-cheating cards outside of druid and rogue.

Tributes: Minions that require you to pay a cost to summon, attack, or use the effect of. This would go hand-in-hand with the above in allowing designers to fine-tune the balance of potentially interesting cards.

Nice.

I also would like to see another C'thun character where minions buff it throughout the game.
BANISH

This. The game definitely needs cards that can counter "Non Interactive" mechanics. Things that players just can't prevent are becoming more and more influential as time goes on - and the game NEEDS to have cards that give an opponent some ability to participate in the match. Decks like Cubelock and Raza Priest just don't care much about what an opponent does, and playing against them is boring and uninteractive. Mechanics like Banish would give the player some ability to feel they were at least a player in the game rather than a spectator.

So - along those lines...

MUTE
Minions with this ability cancel battlecries when they are in play.

ERASE
Minions with this ability erase the Deathrattle text from any minion that comes into play. The erase is permanent (I.E. it persists even when a creature leaves play).

NULLIFY
A spell/minion with Nullify blocks Discover effects.
A good flavor card would be one that made your opponent only able to discover Chickens.
01/14/2018 08:40 AMPosted by FriedBrotato
BANISH

Are we going to have a Shadow Realm too?

Jokes aside, I'd love the evolve mechanic to be extended to weapons too.

I'd also love an expansion that focuses on rapid hero power upgrades. Somewhat like Rafaam in the Rafaam vs Kelthuzad Tavern Brawls where you have a bunch of spells that upgrade your hero power over and over again.
ID like to see the forbidden type cards from old gods back, pretty weak at low mana but stronger the more mana they use.
spelltaunt
more dormant minions but with an effect while are dormant and different when they awaken

just more dormant minions i love that mechanic
SUMMARY ABOUT THE BEST IDEAS:

SACRIFICE:
- Sacrifice minions to summon a minion or attack with a high level one.

SWAP:
- Legendary minion: Battle cry >> SWAP Hero Power with your opponent.

BANISH
- Removes a minion from play, negating death rattles and also not adding to the resurrect pool.

BLESSING / CURSE. (It would last 1 round and give effects like below.)
- Decrease the attack of all enemy minions by -1 in the next round. (Even new played ones)
- Increase the health by +1 for all of your minions in the next round

PROVOKE
- The opponent MUST first attack this minion!

DEFLECT (spell taunt)
- All single spells need to target first this minion!

WARCRY
- Whenever this minion successfully makes an attack, buff the next minion played by +1/1

MUTE
- Minions with this ability cancel all Death rattles and End of Turn effects as long they are in play.
FUSION
a minion with the FUSION key word can be combined with any friendly minion to create a new minion. Simply, instead of dragging the FUSION minion towards an enemy character, drag the arrow to a friendly minion and it will fuse.

The new minion would combine both the stats of the two minions and their effects, excluding the fusion keyword. Some FUSION minions have special effects that only activate when fused.

example:
3 mana 3/3 common
FUSION: gain +2/+2
(This + Yeti = 7 mana 9/10)

3 mana 1/1 Legendary
CHARGE
DIVINE SHIELD
WINDFURY
TAUNT
FUSION
(This + Yeti = 7 mana 5/6 charge, divine shield, windfury, taunt. Since the 1/1 Legendary has charge, it means it can fuse the turn it is played)