Which packs to invest in as new player?

Play Mode Discussion
I'm new to hearthstone and don't have time to grind the game.

Since the last expansion, what packs are worth buying to make some fun decks?

I bought 40 of the classic cards and have spent most of my gold on the Kobolds.
Hey Irish, welcome to HS. So as a player willing to spend $, I quite strongly hint at buying the adventures. They were, an remain the best $ value for cards only beaten by the Welcome Bundle. However some are wild only mode but if you like HS it's such a good investment. You can get those on the B.net shop site.

After that, it's important to mention that every single set such as classic, Kobolds, Knights of the Frozen Throne etc. Offer a legendary card guaranteed in the first 10 packs. This is a nice update by blizzard. If I had to pick an exact set finally to get cards from I'd say Journey to Un'Goro. Just because I liked the cards from that set, an epics were quite good from it.

Good luck an have fun in HS.
You get a guaranteed legendary in the first ten packs of each set. So you'd want to get 10 packs of Frozen Throne, and 10 packs of Un'Goro. You could then get 10 MSoG and 10 Old Gods also, but those sets are rotating out of standard mode this spring. Be sure you've also done the Frozen Throne prologue for the DK card reward.
01/15/2018 08:20 PMPosted by Irish
I'm new to hearthstone and don't have time to grind the game.

Since the last expansion, what packs are worth buying to make some fun decks?

I bought 40 of the classic cards and have spent most of my gold on the Kobolds.

Have you played CCGs before? If so what type of decks do you tend to like? That would have some bearing on what I'd recommend buying from as certain expansions have cards that are more important for certain play styles.

While the 'first 10' advice is great I'd probably just stick to Classic (which you did) Un'Goro, KoFT, K&C (which you probably got a legend from by now). No reason to spend $ on sets that will rotate out of Standard (Classic + the prior year and current year cards) and go to Wild Mode (all cards) where you probably don't want to play for now in as you'd have even more cards you'd need to catch-up on.

Also for KoFT get the free card Silverangel mentioned, that could heavily decide the best expansion to focus on.
01/15/2018 08:56 PMPosted by Silverangel
You get a guaranteed legendary in the first ten packs of each set. So you'd want to get 10 packs of Frozen Throne, and 10 packs of Un'Goro. You could then get 10 MSoG and 10 Old Gods also, but those sets are rotating out of standard mode this spring. Be sure you've also done the Frozen Throne prologue for the DK card reward.

Thank you all for the advice. Yeah, I'm definitely trying to be as cost-efficient as possible, so knowing those sets are going to be phased out is a huge help. I played magic for a while but this is much more convenient. Blizzard phasing out card that you've earned is a little disheartening, but what can you do?

Is there an ETA for the next phase? and does it come with another expansion?

When you say phased out, does that mean just for ranked games or casual as well?

Thank you in advance.
01/15/2018 09:32 PMPosted by Irish
Is there an ETA for the next phase? and does it come with another expansion?When you say phased out, does that mean just for ranked games or casual as well? Thank you in advance.

The rotation happens on the first expansion of the 2018 year, which is normally sometime in April. All card sets from 2016 will rotate out of standard mode (ranked and casual) then. You can still play all cards in wild mode.
Wait.. no do not buy adventures if you plan on playing standard as the last adventure only expansion is rotating out come this April. Wild isn't supported like standard is for HS. (Wild is neglected and there is very little in the way of tournaments involving Wild.) Also, not all of the expansions are available to purchase from Wild. This would put you at a greater disadvantage compared to standard as there are more expansions to pull from to create decks and opponents will most likely have a more diverse/stronger decks.

Whether you are using in game currency or actually purchasing with real world money, I would recommend acquiring 10 packs from the last 3 expansions (Un'goro, Frozen Throne and K&C) as they will be around until april 2019. Recently Blizzard added the new "legendary in 10" concept. Where the first ten packs of a new expansion have a guarantee to drop 1 legendary. After that the pity timer is 40 packs for legendary and 10 packs for epics.
I didn’t read the other reply’s, surely the are some helpful people there. But in case it wasn’t said, DON’T buy any. Unless of course you have a ton of disposable income. I realize fun is subjective and you might end up enjoying really basic/primitive decks, but the truth is you’re going to get beat down a lot using those decks. There isn’t truly a casual game mode where new players can cut there teeth against each other.

You can open over a hundred packs and not find what you want. On top of that you won’t have opened enough dust to craft what you want either. To have a half decent collection in this game you need a large investment, in either time or money.

I would honestly caution you against playing hearthstone more then what you can with just the daily quest gold and the arena. I feel the game is not worth what it takes away (in either time or money)

Sorry for being a bummer everyone.
01/15/2018 09:37 PMPosted by Silverangel

The rotation happens on the first expansion of the 2018 year

Are the One Night in Karazhan cards available in play / ranked mode? I like playing the adventures for fun, but if you don't get to keep the cards in the ranked games, I'm not really interested in buying it.
All the cards can be used for Ranked, but there is Standard Ranked and Wild Ranked. Right now in Standard Ranked you can use Basic, Classic, Old Gods, Karazhan, Mean Streets, Un'Goro, Frozen Throne, and Kobolds. In Wild Ranked you can play anything. (All of this is also true for Casual.) In April, Old Gods, Karazhan, and Mean Streets will become Wild. All Wild packs & adventures are still available but only in the Blizzard shop for real money.

Old cards are great to have for tavern brawls and adventures even if you want to play Standard most of the time. They will never be taken away, and they're worth holding onto. Even though you start out in Standard you may want to play Wild someday for a change of scenery.

As a new player, you might not be able to see Wild mode yet, but it will open to you once you have at least one Wild card.
This is a harsh game for new players and the cost efficient approach to getting a collection together is also harsh.

Do your dailies and save gold until the next rotation sometime in April. It really is a waste buying things now because crafting decks just to play them for a couple months is throwing resources away. You might as well wait and work on your gold stash.
If you are looking for packs classic or knights of the frozen throne would be my recommendation.

classic gives tons of good cards for all classes that are great to start with

knights because the majority of legendarys are useful in some way or another and while great in decks made for them can be a good start for a new player in anything.
01/16/2018 08:22 PMPosted by traja
This is a harsh game for new players and the cost efficient approach to getting a collection together is also harsh.

Do your dailies and save gold until the next rotation sometime in April. It really is a waste buying things now because crafting decks just to play them for a couple months is throwing resources away. You might as well wait and work on your gold stash.

I agree that stockpiling is a good idea most of the time, but less so for a new player. Until you have a decent Classic collection, Classic cards are better than new expansion cards because they still firm the core of most decks and they'll survive through rotation.

The 10 packs from each (current) expansion are also probably worth getting rather than stockpiling, because 10 packs from Un'goro, 10 from KoFT and 10 from KnC will be better value than 30 from three new expansion.
As a new player, DO NOT buy any Classic packs.

You have a steady stream of Classic pack income in the way of the weekly Tavern Brawl. Because of this, it's far more efficient to spend gold on the packs of the expansions, because if you do the Tavern Brawls every week, you will complete your Classic set legendary collection in 16 years (on average) anyway, so if you're in this game for the long-run, which I suggest, then just wait 16 years and spend your gold on expansions because it's more efficient.
I would honestly suggest you play and not spend money right away. I know the temptation is real but I would suggest playing using the in game currency for a time being and buyjng packs that way, this can result in you identifying what value you place on certain cards be it whisper of old gods or regular or the latest expansion. Just my 2 cents
01/17/2018 01:46 AMPosted by Mick
As a new player, DO NOT buy any Classic packs.

You have a steady stream of Classic pack income in the way of the weekly Tavern Brawl. Because of this, it's far more efficient to spend gold on the packs of the expansions, because if you do the Tavern Brawls every week, you will complete your Classic set legendary collection in 16 years (on average) anyway, so if you're in this game for the long-run, which I suggest, then just wait 16 years and spend your gold on expansions because it's more efficient.

16 years .......Um lol
I agree with those who suggested to get the first 10 packs of each expansion. Even if the cards aren't useful, the dust from the guaranteed legendary is really good. After you do that, look at what legendaries you have and search online for top tier decks. Try to aim for the whichever one you have the most legendaries/epics for.

If you have money to spend, indeed the adventures are a good spend, as well as the starter kit that's in the shop for 10 bucks. I also don't know if anyone mentioned but the first levels of One Night in Karazan and Knights of the Frozen Throne are free and you can get special cards from them so make sure you do that too.

Lastly, if you don't mind not playing ladder for a while, I suggest playing arena instead of spending money on packs as everyone gets random cards so its even and you could win big and have fun at the same time.
01/17/2018 12:02 AMPosted by Mmmrrrggglll
01/16/2018 08:22 PMPosted by traja

I agree that stockpiling is a good idea most of the time, but less so for a new player. Until you have a decent Classic collection, Classic cards are better than new expansion cards because they still firm the core of most decks and they'll survive through rotation.

The 10 packs from each (current) expansion are also probably worth getting rather than stockpiling, because 10 packs from Un'goro, 10 from KoFT and 10 from KnC will be better value than 30 from three new expansion.

Classic packs have the worst long term value because you keep getting them for free. The optimal approach is to wait until the rotation and then evaluate if you need more. You definitely don't want to buy a bunch of them and then realize that all of your free Classic packs are dust now.

The 10 packs thing is safe to do but it's probably best to spend your gold on that, gold that you will have when the rotation happens. You are buying individual packs until you find a legendary after all.
01/16/2018 07:59 PMPosted by CheezCurls
As a new player, you might not be able to see Wild mode yet, but it will open to you once you have at least one Wild card.

Yeah thanks, I don't see it yet, so I wasn't quite understanding what everyone's talking about with each game mode.

I started with hearthstone a couple years ago but only played for a brief time. I was really thinking about picking it back up again because it's a good game for my life schedule.

I appreciate all the advice. I wasn't expecting to buy my way to the top, but I figured getting some cards so I can make a few cool decks is no more expensive than buying a new game at market price. It isn't as exciting as opening a pack of Magic cards, but the feeling is still there. I just wanted to spend my money wisely, even with the earned in-game currency.