Is hearthstone the greatest game OF ALL TIME?

Play Mode Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 Next
Chess notwithstanding (cause it's immortal) my two favorite video games of all time have been Star Ocean the second story and FFVIII
Dominions is the greatest game of all time...that's why its up to Dominions 5.

None of you have ever heard of it and few people play it but its still the greatest game ever.
Hearthstone is concrete and irrefutable evidence that an omniscient being that created the universe exists because it is so complicated that it/he/she is the only thing that can even begin to understand the complexity of this game.

In fact - it may be possible that Hearthstone is so deep, complex and strategic that it is MORE complicated than the whole universe put together.

That or it is just about cutting and pasting proven decks of the same epics/legendaries/death knight heroes and rote script playing to win.

One of the two, but for my two penneth worth - I vote for the first.
Not
Even
Close

Its the best online ccg though.
Chess,go,first person shooters in general (many bad ones though),sc2.
Many more,i guess hs could be in that list as well though it would be more expensive then all the other games combined lol.
It is difficult to pick one as best when they are so different.
Starcontrol 2
World of warcraft (at least untill Wotlk)
Dokter Bibber
I'd have to say ff7.

You often get shot down for that one because "fanboy/bandwagon everyone-says-7-but-in-my-snowflake-opinion-it-sucks", but that was when I first really got into RPG's and I loved every minute. Not saying I haven't played tons of other quality games that come very close though.

Some of the best RPG's, particularly turned based, were mostly in the PS1 era or earlier. PS2 had a few good ones but gaming in general has just been declining from there. Microtransactions, untested content that gets patched later, focus funneled to the most profitable market instead of real gamers, games designed to "keep you playing" regardless if you're having fun or not and so on.
Rome Total War
02/09/2018 06:35 PMPosted by BreastJudge
Chess

Chess is a very poorly designed game that has a small following among the compulsive and autistic.

Chess masters get good at chess by going over 1000 page books with millions of optimal combinations, and learning the moves one by one like a monkey.

Only to be outdone by a computer who learned those same moves in a matter of minutes by storing those books into its memory.

Chess leaves 0 room for creativity or thought.
Hearthstone isn't even the greatest card game of all time
Can't really lump all games into one pile, but if I did, I don't think HS would even be in the top 10. But if you pick various categories, it's easier to remember favorites. (I'm excluding sports, but leaving "E sports" in because they are absurdly misnamed by nerds who don't like actual sports, not remotely being "sports").

CARD GAMES
- MTG
- Bridge
- Dominion

BOARD GAMES
- Puerto Rico
- Titan

CCGs
- MTG
- Jyhad/Vampire
- HS

ALMOST SPORTS
- Pool
- Bowling
- Darts
02/09/2018 06:25 PMPosted by ohmybob
If not then what is?

Diablo:Immortal
Baldur's Gate....case could be made for Baldur's Gate 2.
11/15/2018 12:38 PMPosted by Falin
Baldur's Gate....case could be made for Baldur's Gate 2.

Man, that whole era of Black Isle games was incredible.
11/15/2018 06:30 AMPosted by DarkSeph

Some of the best RPG's, particularly turned based, were mostly in the PS1 era or earlier. PS2 had a few good ones but gaming in general has just been declining from there. Microtransactions, untested content that gets patched later, focus funneled to the most profitable market instead of real gamers, games designed to "keep you playing" regardless if you're having fun or not and so on.

Hey now, I used to think the same, but the future brought a number of benefits when it comes to gaming. I played Earthbound for the first time two months ago when I bought an SNES Classic, a game I would have had to pay over $120 for just the cartridge off ebay, and that came with stuff like Secret of Mana, Super Mario RPG, and Yoshi's Island. Not to mention, digital distribution like Steam lets you find a ton of old titles, including Tales of Symphonia which used to be $80 before it showed up on Steam, Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask off Nintendo shops, and I played Chrono Trigger for the first time a year ago by buying it for the DS off Amazon. These games not only still exist, but they're more easily accessible via new distribution methods.

On top of that, there's a ton of new titles that are being produced outside the triple-A market, including stuff I never thought I'd like. You have games like Stardew Valley and Undertale which are complete labors of love, on top of some other hidden ones like Dust, Anti-Chamber, Freedom Planet and One Way Heroics, all built by individual people with minimal assistance, almost entirely built by their vision. They're not all long; some, like Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons, you can beat in an afternoon, but they are still wonderful to play.

This isn't even including the times big companies manage to nail a game. Portal, and Portal 2 are classics. Witcher 3 was great. Borderlands 2 is a blast, especially with friends, and actually did its DLC right (not that you can't get the complete edition for $10 nowadays). The newest God of War was pretty good. Breath of the Wild was amazing. I haven't even played Red Dead Redemption 2, but I've only heard good things so far.

Try some stuff. Old games are great, but there's new stuff being produced every year for all kinds of people, by all kinds of people.
sure, why not?
It's not even the best *card game* right now, let alone the greatest game of all time. The deck's pilot is close to irrelevant in Hearthstone. Just make a deck that can play the odds and gain rank over time. All that's required is persistence (and a decent deck). It's not even as good as the progenitor of the genre: mtg.

It's too bad Alteil isn't still around to show people the difference between a game that's practically nothing but luck of the draw and one that's highly dependent on the skill of the pilot.
This might be the first time I've seen a necro'd thread actually produce some good content!

Oh, the best game ever? Nethack, one of the original Rogue-like ASCII DOS games. Look it up if you've never heard of it.
Diablo 2 is the greatest game of all time. It destroys all of the cliche “greatest JRPGs” list people regurgitate over and over again in replayability and crafts a better world and lore than Skyrim or Oblivion. World of Warcraft has too many chores in it to compete with D2 as well. End of thread .