Potion of Madness

Community Discussion
Am I the only one that cannot wait for this poorly designed mechanic to rotate out?

Please never introduce garbage like this ever again.
The anti-fun mechanic will always still exist via Shadow Madness. Priests will switch to that once PoM is gone, so then we'll have to not play any 3 or lower attack minions anymore. Fun!

Who am I kidding, Priest has Twilight Acolyte so it doesn't matter. There's no way to play around that class with its incredibly punishing BS control options.
My thoughts exactly, Blizzard has thrived in the realm of poor game design and mechanics for a few years now. There's always an "auto win" draw for a few decks.
03/11/2018 06:10 PMPosted by Rivini
The anti-fun mechanic will always still exist via Shadow Madness. Priests will switch to that once PoM is gone, so then we'll have to not play any 3 or lower attack minions anymore. Fun!

Who am I kidding, Priest has Twilight Acolyte so it doesn't matter. There's no way to play around that class with its incredibly punishing BS control options.
If you're dieing from a 3 attack or less minion you've already lost anyway.

Twilight Acolyte does swap attacks (it is 2) but it had only 4 health so it can be dealt with. Mind you can silence your own minion to regain its attack.
03/11/2018 06:51 PMPosted by Grimnosh

Twilight Acolyte does swap attacks (it is 2) but it had only 4 health so it can be dealt with. Mind you can silence your own minion to regain its attack.

It's the mechanic. Priests have complete control mechanics from the start of the game to the end. It's just poor game design to give one class that much board control and burst damage.
03/11/2018 06:51 PMPosted by Grimnosh

Two cards to keep in mind: Divine Spirit and Inner Fire (in conjunction with the minion-borrowing mechanic).

I shouldn't need to say more than that, but I'll add that it's also never fun to have a valuable deathrattle effect stolen, plus have up to 2 of your minions die in the process, all from Priest playing only 1 card and spending 1 whole mana. Potion of Madness is that strong and absurd.
Once PoM is gone, it will be both better and worse in the sense that those kind of plays won't happen until a few turns later, but Shadow Madness can target more minions than PoM by itself.

Priest is the most obnoxious and frustrating class to play against. This is merely a fraction of all the BS it can pull off.
03/11/2018 06:52 PMPosted by Luridbane
<span class="truncated">...</span>If you're dieing from a 3 attack or less minion you've already lost anyway.

It's the mechanic. Priests have complete control mechanics from the start of the game to the end. It's just poor game design to give one class that much board control and burst damage.
Priest doesn't have that much burst unless they get some other cards out (Velan for example). Yeah Mind Blast is 5 damage for 2 mana, but it doesn't compare to rogue's burst potential (2 Sinister Strikes, 2 Eviscerates, and 2 Cold Bloods is 22 damage plus the unblocked minion's power for 10 mana) nor mage's unlimited fireball (though that does take time and the right cards to set up).
03/11/2018 09:16 PMPosted by Rivini

Two cards to keep in mind: Divine Spirit and Inner Fire (in conjunction with the minion-borrowing mechanic).
Its a minion (with DS and IF) and minions can be dealt with as every class has some minion kill cards. Your fault for having no taunts up or keeping his side clear.

I shouldn't need to say more than that, but I'll add that it's also never fun to have a valuable deathrattle effect stolen, plus have up to 2 of your minions die in the process, all from Priest playing only 1 card and spending 1 whole mana. Potion of Madness is that strong and absurd.
Once PoM is gone, it will be both better and worse in the sense that those kind of plays won't happen until a few turns later, but Shadow Madness can target more minions than PoM by itself.
Its all part of the game like blue mages in MtG (draw go decks were always a PITA). You really shouldn't be that worried about (or so reliant on) 1 deathrattle and 2 minions. If you are you really should rethink your deck and tactics.

Priest is the most obnoxious and frustrating class to play against. This is merely a fraction of all the BS it can pull off.
Well the cards they have that so many think are annoying have drawbacks. The low cost controls require X or less power (which can be worked around ie don't put any 3 attack or less minions in your deck) while Mind Control uses 10 mana. The copy cards have an initial cost for the spell, and a random grab of what they get. Its "fun" getting a rogue's Deadly Poison or a warrior's Shield Slam or even something like a Siltfin Spiritwalker or Dragonhatcher when your deck doesn't have anything to support it.
Just came here to say. I loath priest gameplay style. And to be clear not the person's playing it.. its just the whole class and mechanic that just build to annoy people..

Like one said here. It has board control from start till finish. And in the mean time it throws out the sickest minions..
It's not that bad. Annoying, but not awful. I'm happier to see the pint sized potion gone.
Its a minion (with DS and IF) and minions can be dealt with as every class has some minion kill cards.

You can't kill minions (manually) when it's not your turn.
Your fault for having no taunts up or keeping his side clear.

When the Priest makes a huge juggernaut out of any minion, at any point in the match even as early as turn 3, that you could totally expect to happen and rams it into your face for an OTK, do you consider that fair and balanced gameplay?

So you're saying everyone should have 2+ taunt minions on the board, plus keep the Priest's side clear every single turn. That's certainly some meaningful and justified counter-play right there. Makes you suddenly realize how strong the class is, doesn't it? lol
Its all part of the game like blue mages in MtG (draw go decks were always a PITA). You really shouldn't be that worried about (or so reliant on) 1 deathrattle and 2 minions. If you are you really should rethink your deck and tactics.

It's all part of the game to not feel outplayed, but rather cheated because you played against a fundamentally broken class? Hm.

Did I say I was so terribly reliant or worried about losing a deathrattle?
I merely said it's never fun to have it happen, along with the added bonus of losing up to 2 minions from Priest playing 1 card and spending 1 mana to do it all.
Well the cards they have that so many think are annoying have drawbacks.

lol.
The low cost controls require X or less power (which can be worked around ie don't put any 3 attack or less minions in your deck)

So don't have any early-game minions in your deck. Gotcha. Fun counter-play there. This also affects Spell Hunter with the 3-attack wolves.

Also, again, Twilight Acolyte will still be around, which means there is almost no way to play around that mechanic, unless the Priest happens to not have that card plus a dragon in hand.
while Mind Control uses 10 mana.

More than fair for what it does.
The copy cards have an initial cost for the spell, and a random grab of what they get. Its "fun" getting a rogue's Deadly Poison or a warrior's Shield Slam or even something like a Siltfin Spiritwalker or Dragonhatcher when your deck doesn't have anything to support it.

The thing with Priest's ability to copy cards from their opponent that you don't realize is they obtain hand and deck information, along with only copying "meta" cards, unlike with Rogue. Sure, sometimes they get something like Deadly Poison from the randomized copy cards, but more often than not they get Frost Lich Jaina, Gul'dan, an Old God, The Lich King, and so on, and it's even easier with the discover options. It's very rare for a Rogue to be that lucky in comparison and it is more fair because of it. It's true gambling to high roll something big or get Totemic Might.

Drakonid Operative as a 5 mana 5/6 dragon included with the "upfront cost" is just plain awful, too. So gross!

Literally the only way to play around this particular mechanic is to purposely build a bad deck so they can only obtain garbage cards from you. Does that sound like creating a fun and engaging experience for yourself? Think about that.
03/13/2018 08:05 PMPosted by Rivini
Its a minion (with DS and IF) and minions can be dealt with as every class has some minion kill cards.

You can't kill minions (manually) when it's not your turn.
Your fault for having no taunts up or keeping his side clear.

When the Priest makes a huge juggernaut out of any minion, at any point in the match even as early as turn 3, that you could totally expect to happen and rams it into your face for an OTK, do you consider that fair and balanced gameplay?

So you're saying everyone should have 2+ taunt minions on the board, plus keep the Priest's side clear every single turn. That's certainly some meaningful and justified counter-play right there. Makes you suddenly realize how strong the class is, doesn't it? lol
Say hello to my little taunt (or stealthed if playing rogue) poisonous friend. The more taunts you have up the more he they have to batter down to get to you which in turn gives you time to do something about thier buffed minion either battering it down with (poisonous) minions or getting rid of it with a spell.

It's all part of the game to not feel outplayed, but rather cheated because you played against a fundamentally broken class? Hm.

Did I say I was so terribly reliant or worried about losing a deathrattle?
I merely said it's never fun to have it happen, along with the added bonus of losing up to 2 minions from Priest playing 1 card and spending 1 mana to do it all.
Well you seem to be. Arguably you can have your deck with nothing but 4 attack minions (which coincidentally also makes them immune to the priest's Shadow Word spells too) and pack in lower cost damage, armor, healing and card draw spells. Or say hell with it and load up on minions that have a lower attack and high health so if the priest "borrows" one it should not kill another unless it or the other were damaged. If all your minions have 1 to 3 attack and 4 to 8 health I don't see them killing each other very fast.

Well the cards they have that so many think are annoying have drawbacks.

lol.
The low cost controls require X or less power (which can be worked around ie don't put any 3 attack or less minions in your deck)

So don't have any early-game minions in your deck. Gotcha. Fun counter-play there. This also affects Spell Hunter with the 3-attack wolves.

Also, again, Twilight Acolyte will still be around, which means there is almost no way to play around that mechanic, unless the Priest happens to not have that card plus a dragon in hand.
Silence is a thing you know? It drops the acolyte's attack back to 2 (though its 4 health makes it easy to kill as well) or can change your minion's back to what it was unbuffed. What do you know there IS a way to play around the mechanic, who woulda thunk it.

The copy cards have an initial cost for the spell, and a random grab of what they get. Its "fun" getting a rogue's Deadly Poison or a warrior's Shield Slam or even something like a Siltfin Spiritwalker or Dragonhatcher when your deck doesn't have anything to support it.

The thing with Priest's ability to copy cards from their opponent that you don't realize is they obtain hand and deck information, along with only copying "meta" cards, unlike with Rogue. Sure, sometimes they get something like Deadly Poison from the randomized copy cards, but more often than not they get Frost Lich Jaina, Gul'dan, an Old God, The Lich King, and so on, and it's even easier with the discover options. It's very rare for a Rogue to be that lucky in comparison and it is more fair because of it. It's true gambling to high roll something big or get Totemic Might.
OMG he can figure out what deck I am playing.... newsflash he'll figure that out as you play because there is a difference between cubelock and rushlock or facehunter and spellhunter.
I have beaten a priest who copied my FL Jaina as I have more damage spells and a much easier time to bring down a minion's health to 1 (not to mention a few 1 health minions in my deck that I will ping myself) to out play them.
Old Gods can be nice but you need to build a deck around them. Unbuffed C'thun is worthless, N'Zoth requires (good) dead deathrattles, Yogg is a bundle of random chaos in a Win More fashion, and Y'shaarj works best with a deck of deathrattles and big minions. If you didn't make your decks like that you will not get anywhere near as much use out of them.
By the time you can play Lich King I can kill him with what I have on board (or in hand) and still have mine in reserve. He can be good but he is not indestructible.

Drakonid Operative as a 5 mana 5/6 dragon included with the "upfront cost" is just plain awful, too. So gross!
Rotating, no comment.

Literally the only way to play around this particular mechanic is to purposely build a bad deck so they can only obtain garbage cards from you. Does that sound like creating a fun and engaging experience for yourself? Think about that.
Or think how to play around it like any good player can.
Why am i whriting on hearthstone potion of madness and it is not showing up
03/11/2018 04:13 PMPosted by Luridbane
Am I the only one that cannot wait for this poorly designed mechanic to rotate out?

well met! aggro player detected.

Priest doesn't have that much burst unless they get some other cards out (Velan for example). Yeah Mind Blast is 5 damage for 2 mana, but it doesn't compare to rogue's burst potential (2 Sinister Strikes, 2 Eviscerates, and 2 Cold Bloods is 22 damage plus the unblocked minion's power for 10 mana) nor mage's unlimited fireball (though that does take time and the right cards to set up).

Where is this "22 damage plus the unblocked minion's power" coming from? 2 Sinister Strikes is 6 damage, 2 Eviscerates in combo mode is 8 damage and Cold Blood applies to minions not face. So you have 14 damage to face and a minion with +8 to attack. Unless the minion has charge it isn't going anywhere and if it is able to go anywhere just because it is unblocked doesn't mean it is going to hit face. Hunter's freezing trap say "hi". :-)

Trying to compare Mind Blast to a 6 card combo (7 if you count the minion) is beyond ridiculous.
03/11/2018 04:13 PMPosted by Luridbane

Potion of madness is already in wild lol