THE DARKNESS - Help

Play Mode Discussion
Unpacked the Darkness yesterday, and I need some info. As we all know, the minion starts dormant, awakening ONLY after your opponent draws the three Candle spells shuffled into their deck.

What I know about this minion:
- Can appear after Evolve or Devolve, obviously dormant. Which makes it a dead token blocking 1/7 of the board, just like Ice Pillars in Sindragosa's boss battle.
- When getting somehow and playing a second copy of The Darkness, they can awaken TOGETHER when the first 3 Candles are drawn.
- A dormant Darkness survives Brawls and other mass removals.

What I DON'T KNOW:
- Can it be bounced back in hand?
- When playing Tracking as Hunter and getting a Candle in the options, does it snuff out? Or does this burn it preventing the awakening of the minion?
- Does milling out a Candle count towards the awakening?
- Why do the Candles have a mana cost, if it's not consumed? They could have had an empty Mana Crystal on the top left corner, just like Shifting Scroll untransformed! Or zero mana like Ancient Shade's Curses and Iron Juggernaut's Mine! (Well maybe there's no reason for that)
Nothing will affect it in dormant state, and the candles can be milled
02/21/2018 03:45 PMPosted by Zero
Nothing will affect it in dormant state

This means also untargettable by Youthful Brewmaster or Shadowstep?
Pray to the Dankness and your Darkness will probably be activated on time.
I I can answer two of these:

- Milling out a Candle does NOT count towards the awakening, as the card is never officially drawn. I actually tested this once in a mill druid deck - the idea is you get the opponent to draw cards as fast as possible, thereby hitting the candles sooner, which would in theory awaken Darky for an alt win condition. But if they mill a candle then you're just stuck with a dormant darkness.

- if the mana cost is 1, Skulking Geist could be a counter-tech against the Darkness. Also, it could potentially pop up in a priest's hand if they play their "discover a spell in your deck" card and opt for the candle. Spellslinger could also potentially give you a Candle, maybe (not sure if that card was ever updated to include later cards). Point is, technically there are some (albeit fringe or lolworthy) cases where the mana cost would matter.
02/21/2018 03:49 PMPosted by blackveiled
02/21/2018 03:45 PMPosted by Zero
Nothing will affect it in dormant state

This means also untargettable by Youthful Brewmaster or Shadowstep?

No you the darkness is not a valid target to brewmaster, shadowstep or any other stuff. Also, if you mill a candle it will not be activated because it did would not be "Casted". This also applys if you discard the candle via tracking
02/21/2018 03:53 PMPosted by Dimlhugion

- if the mana cost is 1, Skulking Geist could be a counter-tech against the Darkness. Also, it could potentially pop up in a priest's hand if they play their "discover a spell in your deck" card and opt for the candle. Spellslinger could also potentially give you a Candle, maybe (not sure if that card was ever updated to include later cards). Point is, technically there are some (albeit fringe or lolworthy) cases where the mana cost would matter.

I'm pretty sure the mana cost is 4 and it would matter, say, in cases where Dragon's Fury or Spiteful Summoner are played. But shuffle-in cards like Ancient Curse or Burrowing Mine have always costed zero, so I don't really know why "4 mana" for the Candles.
Btw, thanks for the mill clarification ;)
Bounce effects dont work but i think u can copy darkness with shadowcaster and get 1 mana dat adds 3 more candles and when it awakes its still a 20/20
To be blunt, there's one accepted method to using The Darkness..... disenchant it. :)

It was probably the most anticipated and vastly over rated turd in KnC.
The Darkness would of been a great card a year ago...when reno was still in fashion...

Blizz heard your crys and the darkness was created...
02/21/2018 03:44 PMPosted by blackveiled
- Can it be bounced back in hand?

After awakened, yes. While it's dormant, nothing can touch it... except maybe Rod of Disintegration.

- When playing Tracking as Hunter and getting a Candle in the options, does it snuff out? Or does this burn it preventing the awakening of the minion?

If you don't pick Candle, it is gone, thus preventing Darkness from being awakened.

- Does milling out a Candle count towards the awakening?

No, it doesn't; Candle has to be able to be drawn in hand for its effect to activate. If the hand is full, Candle is burned out and its effect is gone.

- Why do the Candles have a mana cost, if it's not consumed? They could have had an empty Mana Crystal on the top left corner, just like Shifting Scroll untransformed! Or zero mana like Ancient Shade's Curses and Iron Juggernaut's Mine! (Well maybe there's no reason for that)

I don't know why it has manacost, but due to that manacost it can be interacted with minions which target spells in deck, such as Skulking Geist (mentioned above) and Spiteful Summoner.

They should have a mana cost (any) because Thoughtsteal exists. If they didn't have any cost, they'd be clogging your hand forever.

Nobody can say whether it's a reason or just a consequence, but Candles being 4 mana means they cannot be removed by Skulking Geist or blown away by Hemet, Jungle Hunter. That leaves Tracking and overdrawing as only hard counters to Darkness. I guess it would be too bad even for a meme card if you could just remove the candles too easily from your deck.