Dust is the Problem

Community Discussion
I have played this game since launch. I have completed nearly every daily quest since launch; I play Hearthstone on a daily basis. I buy every expansion. I buy every pre-order. Lately I even buy the largest available card bundle once an expansion on top of the pre-order. I am still steadily falling behind in my collection more and more each year that goes by.

Obtain a new card -- receive 1/4th of its value

Is this a fun pattern? Isn't this what Gamestop does? Only you don't get to trade your cards or EVER sell them in Hearthstone. It just doesn't feel good to earn a card and then immediately have it slashed to one-fourth of its value. That is not the experience that you want to have the overwhelming majority of the time...

Hearthstone is FIRSTLY a CASUAL game, and is an esports game second. This is not a casual system. What would be so bad about receiving 80% of the card value back? I did the math and it would STILL be challenging to obtain a complete collection if that were the case... And if you are a new player GOOD LUCK.

The dust system is BRUTAL. I feel that as a player who plays this game religiously and buys every product and then some -- I feel that I should be near to a complete collection but I am missing more and more cards every few months!

I have over 500 Steam games. This game is going to fall out of favor for me if it isn't good enough. I really like this game overall -- but if they don't change the dust system I will quit like my other two friends who played Hearthstone and left because in their words it was 'too expensive'. By the way, both of my friends and myself all have full time careers. And they make more than me..

Ultimately it is very unsatisfying to play every day and then say, play extra one day, for maybe 4-5hrs or more and earn 3-4 packs and then have that amount to 200 dust if you are lucky... Lately I have become sick of games that value our time lowly as gamers. Somewhere along the line Hearthstone became one of those games. VALUE OUR TIME and stop magnifying the pay-to-win elements of this game. If you go down this road it will be short term gains for you Blizzard not long term gains one way or another. Blizzard games have always had amazing value for the money. Don't change that Blizzard. Blizzard has earned a legendary reputation from games that did the EXACT opposite of this game and gave thousands of hours of fun for FAR LESS monetary investment.

Add dust to each pack

Add more cards to packs

Give 75% of card value back as dust instead of 25%

Decrease crafting costs

Double or triple the gold received from quests (do the math -- they could literally triple quest values and it would STILL be an insane grind to get all of the cards free)

I don't care how you do it: FIX THE DUST

FIX THE DUST
FIX THE DUST
FIX THE DUST
FIX THE DUST
FIX THE DUST
FIX THE DUST

Please help me to convince Blizzard to change this system. I want to enjoy this game more again. I want to like this game, I really do. I love this game. Please post your support below, and let's get this changed.
Blizzard is not that generus, you only get 5 dust for a common card that cost 40 dust to craft. The real numbers are:

Common 1/8 12.5% (12.5% for gold)
Rare 1/5 20% (12.5% for gold)
Epic 1/4 25% (25% for gold)
Legendary 1/4 25% (25% for gold)
Disenchanting a legendary and getting 400 dust is just horrible... and keeping a bad legendary is maybe as painful if you need some cards to finish a decent deck.

#MoreDustMoreFun
How do players and Blizzard alike know if dust is a prob or if it's just the players hoping that if they ask enough, they can get more stuff? I don't mean to downplay any legitimacy about your honesty or argument, but what if it's just a player problem. We can circle around all week with the next why can't we get more for less thread, some guys arguing against yadda yadda yadda, thread deleted because of fights poppping up.

So somehow, I missed out on getting Lynessa Sunsorrow even though I had a ton of dust. Somehow other cards caught my attention stronger and I ran out of dust (only 1200 or so currently). So yeah, I know the feeling of wanting more cards without having the immediate supply to get them.

So then you have to sit down and ask yourself, "Who's responsible?" Well that's a gray area (not really but people like to argue all points into grayness). Le sigh...

• This argument really has multiple vectors to approach from. Could it be that players have too much of a give me all mentality now and days? The demand to have all things conflicts with their buying power until they throw their arms up in revolt, posting on the forums.
  • Is it that some don't budget well enough to save up? Have all the things but now I can't have the next thing?
  • Could it be that players just can't feel like they are having fun unless they are winning, so their only recourse is to collect more cards in hopes that they'll be more powerful than any combination of their current collection?
  • And so rather than playing and refining your decks as they find flaws in them,
    they surrender to forum complaints. Thus you get a lot less gold to complete your quests.

I met at a fireside gathering the team of Hero Power: A Hearthstone Podcast, who were hosting the games there. One guy said he'd use a deck and play like I want to say 4 or 5 games, but I think it was more like 10 games or so before he makes changes to a deck. Then he plays tons more games, testing the deck. I was flippin' blown away! If I lose, I might make changes right then and there. Could be good changes, could be bad. Never did I think to play that much in testing things.

I think that last one could be the big one. I think some players out there, me often included, may face a steep learning curve with card games. It's difficult to factor in so many variables. 30 cards, which do I start with, how do I handle my deck with a suboptimal starting hand... And then you face off against powerful decks, or so it seems, that woop you. Was the deck powerful? Class x > Class y? Or was it that you didn't build a well rounded deck and/r use it properly?

Or maybe you just feel like it's only fun if you keep ranking up to the highest ranks? I think that's a super misleading part of any ranking system. It shouldn't matter if you get to the top or not. It should matter if you're having a fun and engaging time. Somehow though, I don't think having all the cards fixes that for those who may not quite grasp certain things.
isnt geting 1/4 of the crafting material normal in games?
I would be happier if we atleast could get the same ratio for all cardtypes and not just 1/8 (5 dust) of the 40 dust craft cost for commons.
Should get 50% value on all disenchant . Not too high but not current low either .

It would feel less bad when you disenchant a good chunk of cards
so during this whole decline you kept handing them your money and expected things to get better? you thought them raking in millions was going to encourage changes and balance? LMFAO! the only time things will change is when their pockets stop getting fat. oh, then you will see cheaper cards, dust increase, more ways to get dust, etc.
you ARE the problem. face it.
Personally I'm fine with legendaries dust cost but the epics dust cost really grinds my gears. One legend equals one epic? That don't seem right to me.
Honestly, the dust system is due for an overhaul mainly because it was designed with the idea that Hearthstone would have one expansion and one adventure per calendar year. Now, not only have they (roughly) doubled the amount of cards issued in a calendar year, they also completely randomized card acquisition by removed fixed sets (adventures). On top of it, they made card acquisition mandatory with this steeply curved powercreep and even worst, they tied quality and rarity a lot more than before. (ie there used to be a lot of rares more impactful than epics in the expert set, now almost all neutral rares are crap...)

So yeah, all in all it's a fine system to simulate the "trading card" experience but it feels more and more like a blatant cash grab... And I believe Activision's data is noticing the fact hence the recent increase in pre-order boni. Just sayin...
Normally I'm the type to quickly shoot down all the conspiracies and complaints on this forum, however dust ratio is pretty awful.

Not only that but now you need 5 wins to move up a rank level.

Those two things along with the adventure expansion removal to me look like Blizzard is trying to create a gap between the big spenders/streamers and the casual players like the majority of people you see posting on this forum.

Normally I can achieve rank 15 with little to no effort. Rank 10 if I grind a little and I'm sure I could reach legend if I put the time into it. Now with the new ladder set up i'm literally stuck sitting at rank 20. Today is the 19th of the month Win two or three lose two or three that's all it is anymore...

I run one deck and all I see is the perfect counter to that deck. Run another deck that beats the counter deck and all I see is a second counter deck to the new deck.

All that said i'm not one to sit here and complain about things. I mean it is what it is. I can take a 20 and light it on fire every now and again so I can get some new cards but I'm not sitting here expecting something magical to happen because I spent 20 bucks on Hearthstone. I mean I'm not sure what some of you think or expect. i'm guessing many of you are younger so you feel the need to stand up for what you think is right or wrong. You haven't had life beat you into submission yet...So I suppose trivial things like whatever dumb !@#$ blizzard is or isn't doing bothers you.

The key to Hearthstone happyness is keeping your expectations and spending low!!!!!
Strongest card in hearthstone is your debit card.
03/19/2018 02:28 PMPosted by EvilGlitch
Strongest card in hearthstone is your debit card.

Credit,
They only take Credit.

So... yeah!
Debit Card is 4th tier... ;)
I wonder why our common card only worth 5 dust while blizzard's common card worth 40 dust. What is the logic here?
03/19/2018 04:53 PMPosted by LittleDrop
I wonder why our common card only worth 5 dust while blizzard's common card worth 40 dust. What is the logic here?

They own the Tabern :(

We still without a upgrade sistem, if you want golden cards the cost ia 3200 and you normal version only help in 400..........
Dust cost needs to be reworked to something close to half crafting cost.

Let's face it, it's not like it would really impact sales of packs.

Especially considering how cost prohibitive the game is in some regions:

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/hearthstone/topic/20761967986

Has a good discussion on this

It really makes sense and now is the perfect time for the reasons above for actiblizz to rethink their dust structure.
03/19/2018 01:35 PMPosted by Zlumpy
Personally I'm fine with legendaries dust cost but the epics dust cost really grinds my gears. One legend equals one epic? That don't seem right to me.

When I open a pack of cards *In my head I vision the card I want*

If I do not get it, well maybe next time.
If I get it, it's like YEAH!

I don't pay for packs in cash I just play casually, hence why I'm always in rank 20!
I would propose 50% considering the fact it is not as overpowered as 75% but still not that 25% crap, making it a reasonable proposal. I mostly get the decks I actually play from dust (Mech mage, Murloc shaman, Evoshaman [ETC]) because packs are just too broad. I also think that because people who missed eaarlier expansions will feel discouraged to get any of the cards in that expansion.

OR: Blizzard can allow a very rewarding $-Dust and Gold-Dust system, this would give an extra and useful function to the rather bland things you can buy.
This argument really has multiple vectors to approach from. Could it be that players have too much of a give me all mentality now and days? The demand to have all things conflicts with their buying power until they throw their arms up in revolt, posting on the forums.
Is it that some don't budget well enough to save up? Have all the things but now I can't have the next thing?
Could it be that players just can't feel like they are having fun unless they are winning, so their only recourse is to collect more cards in hopes that they'll be more powerful than any combination of their current collection?
And so rather than playing and refining your decks as they find flaws in them,
they surrender to forum complaints. Thus you get a lot less gold to complete your quests.

I met at a fireside gathering the team of Hero Power: A Hearthstone Podcast, who were hosting the games there. One guy said he'd use a deck and play like I want to say 4 or 5 games, but I think it was more like 10 games or so before he makes changes to a deck. Then he plays tons more games, testing the deck. I was flippin' blown away! If I lose, I might make changes right then and there. Could be good changes, could be bad. Never did I think to play that much in testing things.

I feel like that is a cynical way of viewing this topic, sure some are true for some of us but I personally think we should have a dust reform because some decks are fun to play (Murloc Shaman) and I like finding hidden synergies.