CounterSpell Vs Flare

Play Mode Discussion
02/19/2018 07:14 AMPosted by Paf
TLDR: It's working as intended and is not broken.

It's just stupid.

/thread

This. I understand why it works the way it does, but not why the decision was made to have it work that way.
Weeeee i love this discussion.
I think this is a perfect example of the gross incompetence that happens in testing....if any at all.
1. Flare is a tool.
2. Counterspell is magic.
In fact, I carry one of those tools in my glovebox.

Ok yeah fantasy......flare is "magical"....sure...whatever.

I'm willing to bet that this is like Innervate and how long it actually took them to admit it was broken.
I've been playing Blizzard video games since a little before D2 (yes kids, this is still a video game) and one thing is and has been clear since.
Blizzard would rather live with a mistake than admit to it. THEY. ARE. NEVER. WRONG.
Take innervate like I said before. It took them YEARS to fix it.

I would bet that when this launched they probably didn't even think about these two cards.
Think its absurd?
Take a look at moat lurker compared to carnivorous cube and tell me they "know what they are doing".
02/19/2018 08:27 AMPosted by Paf
Now, if you can get beyond your mechanical brains for 2 seconds...

Don't you think how it currently works is stupid?

Card designed to kill a secret is killed by a secret before it can kill the secret because it was killed by the secret that it was intended to kill....vomit..../facepalm

I could reverse the logic. Secret designed to counter all spells gets killed by a spell that is designed to kill the secret that was intended to counter all spells without exception. Hurr durr it's stupid hur dur. Why would flare be the only spell in the game that doesn't get affected by counterspell?

The moment we would change how it works you d have a thread saying the same thing and honestly it would make infinitely more sense than this thread, simply because when counterspell counters a spell guess what happens... the effect described by played spell no longer takes effect. The text is rendered null and void.

Let that sink in for a while...

After that you need to realize that you don't have the higher ground as far as what makes sense as an intention here. Why on earth wouldn't counterspell as a guarantee to protect other spells from flare be intentional? Surely that investment makes sense mana and tempowise... and it's perfectly played around by simple sequencing.
always find this question funny

"why does a card that negates spells negates spells?"
counterspell is really cancer.

it should be going along with iceblock.

not only do you not get the effect of the spell, but your mana is also wasted for the turn as well, leaving you with 1 or none of that spell left.

how is that fun to play against or as?
02/21/2018 03:28 PMPosted by xlordkarnage
not only do you not get the effect of the spell, but your mana is also wasted for the turn as well, leaving you with 1 or none of that spell left.

Sure, let's ignore the fact that counterspell costs 3 mana and is situational because opponent could keep playing minions thus risking tempo loss by including it in the deck or the fact that in half your games opponent can keep the coin minimize it's value. Those are non factors right?

Comparing counterspell power level to ice block is comical at best.
Flare is a spell. I get it.
But Counterspell is a secret.

So what's been there before, the hen or the egg? The egg, of course!

If counterspell is a secret then it should be "destroyed" like the card says it does.
It's not a "normal" spell like Eviscerate or any other, but a secret, that is the special case where Flare is supposed to work!! This game is making me rage quit again.
Oh no here we go again...
02/27/2019 03:30 AMPosted by Kaesekuchen
If counterspell is a secret then it should be "destroyed" like the card says it does.

Counterspell's effect: "When your opponent casts a spell, Counter it."

The bolded word is the key here. Effects which have When or Whenever in their text usually (that is, barring some programming mistakes[*]) trigger when the condition has been activated but before it's been resolved.

To be more clear and specific, in case of Counterspell, it activates when the spell is played and doesn't allow that spell to resolve. Flare needs to resolve its effect in order to destroy secrets, which is something Counterspell prevents by activating first due to When keyword. It doesn't matter that Counterspell is a secret. It could be a trigger effect attached to a minion and would still behave all the same.

[*] An example: Wild Pyromancer for a while had a text "Whenever you cast a spell" but behaved as the same as it behaves now. It's been fixed by changing the card text to "After you cast a spell", which was its behavior. Note that After keyword triggers following the resolution.
Ever countered your opponent's counter to your counter to his counter to your counter to his original counter?

Blue on blue games yo
02/19/2018 07:14 AMPosted by Paf
TLDR: It's working as intended and is not broken.

It's just stupid.

/thread

See that post I quoted? Before anyone feels the need to necro this post again, please read this as it sums this discussion up perfectly.