Reporting verbally abusive players

Community Discussion
At the moment, if a player adds you after a match, hurl racial/homophobic insults at you, and immediately unfriend you, there doesn't seem to be anything you can do to hold them accountable for their actions. I didn't really mind it. I found it more amusing than anything else. But having players constantly behaving that way without any repercussion is harmful to the community.

At the moment, the obvious solution to the problem is to not add other players, which is totally a fine answer if we didn't care about building a community. Right now we have two options: 1. Feel disincentivized to meet other players or 2. risk feeling disincentivized to play the game. I don't think either option is ideal. Is there any action we can take to help improve the community?

EDIT: I've figured out how to report the player. It's on the Social tab of the Battle Net app. Thanks Blizzard, for the helpful feature. Also, if any of you find this post so offensive to you that you have to hit the "dislike" button, go ahead. I can only apologize for offending you.
No offense but if someone potentially saying something you dont like in an avoidable situation online makes you not wanna play I dont think online gaming,or anything social for that matter should really be your hobby. Since any where theres another human the potential is there. Not saying its right of course just that if potential of an avoidable situation turns you off from something well its extremely hard to remove said potential since you're dealing with humans.
as far as taking action to improve the community. i'd say just ignore those people and experience and focus on the positive ones. a general air of positivity breeds more positiveity so on and so forth. just my two cents anyway
04/13/2018 10:19 PMPosted by MrFoxAos
No offense but if someone potentially saying something you dont like in an avoidable situation online makes you not wanna play I dont think online gaming,or anything social for that matter should really be your hobby

It's a common misconception that toxicity only affects a few particularly faint hearted players, and that those players should avoid all social situations. I would recommend you take a look at Riot's research on toxicity in gaming. The fact is, toxicity affects everyone, whether they consciously realize it or not. It's harmful to the community.

It's definitely a good idea for everyone to focus on the positive, but it's also important to help everyone understand that actions online have consequences, just like in real life. If you keep hurling racial and homophobic slur at people in real life, you'd better bet sooner or later that'll catch up with you. The consequences could be legal, but it could also be social or even financial. You might finally have a successful streaming career, but end up letting slip a slur out of habit and lose all the sponsors. It happens.

People feeling they can get away with anything as long as it's online is exactly the kind of thinking that led to the tragic swatting incidents.
04/13/2018 10:56 PMPosted by Witzelsucht
No offense but if someone potentially saying something you dont like in an avoidable situation online makes you not wanna play I dont think online gaming,or anything social for that matter should really be your hobby

It's a common misconception that toxicity only affects a few particularly faint hearted players, and that those players should avoid all social situations. I would recommend you take a look at Riot's research on toxicity in gaming. The fact is, toxicity affects everyone, whether they consciously realize it or not. It's harmful to the community.

It's definitely a good idea for everyone to focus on the positive, but it's also important to help everyone understand that actions online have consequences, just like in real life. If you keep hurling racial and homophobic slur at people in real life, you'd better bet sooner or later that'll catch up with you. The consequences could be legal, but it could also be social or even financial. You might finally have a successful streaming career, but end up letting slip a slur out of habit and lose all the sponsors. It happens.

People feeling they can get away with anything as long as it's online is exactly the kind of thinking that led to the tragic swatting incidents.
taking an objective point and counter acting it with a subjective view point gg logic and reasoning
no re

(edit)
seriously people feel themselves with self righteous thoughts based on their emotions despite any source of other information, feelings, or others, because:
trauma

its like me posting about how cubelock and aggro paladain are STUPID OVERPOWERED and being unMoving on this. some people just have to think what they think for a while. and thats written to both of ya'
What was said that offended you?

04/13/2018 09:54 PMPosted by Witzelsucht
At the moment, if a player adds you after a match, hurl racial/homophobic insults at you, and immediately unfriend you, there doesn't seem to be anything you can do to hold them accountable for their actions. I didn't really mind it. I found it more amusing than anything else. But having players constantly behaving that way without any repercussion is harmful to the community.

At the moment, the obvious solution to the problem is to not add other players, which is totally a fine answer if we didn't care about building a community. Right now we have two options: 1. Feel disincentivized to meet other players or 2. risk feeling disincentivized to play the game. I don't think either option is ideal. Is there any action we can take to help improve the community?

EDIT: I've figured out how to report the player. It's on the Social tab of the Battle Net app. Thanks Blizzard, for the helpful feature. Also, if any of you find this post so offensive to you that you have to hit the "dislike" button, go ahead. I can only apologize for offending you.
Its true that player toxicity is not only damaging to the targets - of racist, homophobic, or death-threat style comments in particular - but also to players doing it unchecked.

Many will say "grow a thicker skin" or "that is how it is in the real world" but that is not actually the case. Mostly if you act the way people who message me on here after matches act, you'll be shunned in the real world or in most countries people who play this game are from, you'd potentially face charges, banning from for profit/private establishments (which this game is, a private money making venture which benefits from being welcoming and having community building go on).

If someone just cusses me out, swear words, remarks about my deck, remarks about how certain cards are a problem, I don't care. If someone throws out racist, sexist, homophobic, one time genocidal??, anti-semitic, or death threat remarks? yeah I'll report that because if Blizzard decides to go the way of many other online games and remove very specific types of speech (which are illegal and punishable in many of the jurisdictions Blizzard does business in, and are especially a problem after the recent judicial decision in the USA re: online content carriers and transmitters), they should have the data.
Never... and I emphasize this NEVER... accept a friend request immediately after a match, unless you enjoy toxicity.
Thank you for this post and the tip about the social tab. I didn't know about that area to report and will start to do so to do my part. I hope that this becomes used more often or, more likely, blizzard puts it more front and center in the actual game client to draw attention to it. They've done this already with Overwatch, HotS, etc. but I guess it isn't as important since communication in hearthstone is only incidental to gameplay.

As for those of you saying 'grow a thick skin' etc., or downvoting those who want to improve the hearthstone community, how would you consider that kind of interaction in real life from a stranger? How many people have you met via the in-game client that became bnet/gaming friends? Probably not many, because you don't accept post-match friend requests whether win or lose. That is the consequence of a an environment where toxicity is unmoderated. I don't expect this to change anytime soon, since it has been this way since the beta, but I would like to hear a Blizzard opinion on it.
Just don't add randoms after you troll them... pretty simple really.
it is pretty sad when people try to make the community better, and the responses are basically akin to don't play, don't talk to anyone else and accusations that the OP somehow did something wrong by trying to do so.

And we wonder why the gaming community is considered toxic.

I don't disagree that with the current state of the community, accepting a friend request right after a game is probably a bad idea.

I don't agree that these people should be allowed to do this without any consequences and don't blame someone for reporting them. You can not have a healthy community if you just ignore this sort of stuff, and I would report a person who did this every single time without a second thought.

TL:DR: Report them, do your part for the community, and move on.
After I add someone I get that Print Screen button ready.

Screenshot, report, attach the screenshot to your report.

I also respond with Street Fighter win quotes. Once I told a troll "Go home and be a family man" and they like went full(er) tilt.

No offense but if someone potentially saying something you dont like in an avoidable situation online

Protip: if you ever start a post like this, delete it and don't post.
I totally agree that BM players should be held accountable for their actions. That being said, I doubt the community will ever be a benefit to this game as it seems the vast majority the player base are trolls to begin with. Hearthstone is one of the few gaming experiences where it’s appropriate to “hate the player” instead of the game. I don’t accept requests from anyone I don’t personally know and mute everyone in matches for this very reason.
The OP has a legitimate point. The difference between toxicity in the gaming world vs. the real world is that there is a level of anonymity in the gaming world, which absolves the player of any real responsibility. If you were competing in a real world match of any sort, whether it be sports, card games, or ... chess for that matter, and spewed some of the racial and profane hate that is prevalent in the online community, you would be barred from further competition (at the very least), potentially assaulted by your target (which would be illegal, but still... there is a risk), potentially arrested and prosecuted for hate speech... or (in an extreme situation) if you crossed the wrong person, you might even be killed.

Blizzard has published a code of conduct that specifically addresses this type of abusive situation.

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/42673

They "encourage" folks to report abusive behavior. Whether or not they do anything about it will be the testament to their level of commitment to providing a fun and safe place to interact with others (their words, not mine).

In my opinion, Blizzard needs to crack down on these instances. It would not be that hard, really. If you friend someone, get your print screen button ready (or your screen shot function on your mobile device), and submit abusive behavior to Blizzard. They should be able to verify this behavior through log files (I'm assuming they keep everything on everybody... I would), which would prevent folks from doctoring false images for the intent of restricting gameplay (which in and of itself would also be a punishable offense).

There have been many times where I have been involved in a truly epic match with someone, very respectful, skillful, and innovative gameplay... and yet have been hesitant to accept a friend request from that person due to this very issue.

If Blizzard truly wants to build a better online community, they will take this issue seriously.

At the VERY least, they should offer a language filter (like they do for WoW) to prevent profane words from displaying.
Toxic community for the toxic game developed by toxic game developers. A match made in heaven.