Hotfix 11.0.1 Arena Changes

Arena Discussion
Greetings everyone,

In an upcoming hotfix, currently targeted for release on Thursday, April 19 (PDT), we will be looking to make some changes to arena.

For information on this hotfix and what all it entails, please visit the sticky post located here:

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/hearthstone/topic/20762297713

Cheers!
Thank you for the changes, but what about the pre-patch decks?
Save the crap, as if it will be any less garbage. Every single deck i come against is the same, paladin deck with silver swords and about 3 spikeridge steeds.

You WANT arena to be unbalanced to try and stop people going infinite as much as possible. In the interest of profits. How stupid do you think we are?
Dude, calm down. Instead of coming up with some conspiracy theory, why not just wait and see how the changes are like and then decide? Also Blizzard, please do not revert to the 10.4 disaster patch ever again.
Hey Jesse, thanks for the heads up!

I appreciate the effort at transparency. However, I'd like to request a bit more.

Is there any way for us to get an idea of the drops rates on individual cards? As it is, the card selection process involves a lot of guessing. If I have the option between 2 decent cards, it really helps if I know whether one of those cards is more likely to be offered later.

This is also a huge issue with class selection. A while back, it was estimated that the drop rate of Flanking Strike had been severely reduced, without notice. I'm all for Arena balance, but I'm also in favor of enabling informed decisions about classes and individual cards. As it is now, anyone who wants this has to lump their data in with several other people to even have a chance at guessing the drop rates, and it's likely that they get changed soon after that anyway.

As recently as one patch ago, there was a noticeable decline in the offer rate of decent 2-drops. But any individual player is going to take at least 2 drafts before they figure out that change, and in the meantime, they are making woefully poor assumptions about how likely they are to shore up their mana curve.

All of these issues have more noticeable impact on the casual Arena player. A frequent drafter will recognize much of it after 3 drafts with a given class, but an infrequent drafter, or someone who likes to play several different classes, is going in blind much of the time.

So...any way we can get an idea on the drop rates? :D
04/18/2018 04:40 PMPosted by Arc
The truth hurts, you think blizzard want every good player going infinite? Don't be so damn naive.
Wait and see how the changes work out? Heard that one before.

This isn't some tinfoil hat BS, its simple economics, if people go infinite they don't spend money on cards, open your eyes.

Downvote all you like but can you come up with an expansion that was worse for arena? You can't because it's basically unplayable right now. You all talk trash about arena all over the forum but in a mod post you all cower and downvote the guy that speaks up.

Like I'm bothered by downvotes from people who don't even have enough confidence in their opinion to back it up with even a short post.

You disagree? Grow a pair and actually dispute me.

Okay to start you're being very impatient, and the changes are coming tomorrow, so that is more naive.
Second, you are only under the impression that Blizzard is making profits, but we don't know exactly the motives behind the unbalanced 10.4 patches( Jesse, please answer this)
You are right about the arena in this state being worse, but that's the patch itself, not the expansion.
Your opinion is only reflecting on the past grievances you had, as we all did. But you are spewing a lot of hatred and acting very irrational. Look towards the future instead of dwelling in the past.
i've LOST 800 GOLD due to horrible implementation....... and figuring out the huge disparity of the power level of decks.

Stonehill into lich king tirion tarim is NOT FAIR.
Shamans having MULITPLE AOE CLEARS again and again is not FUN
MAGES having 5+ AOE IS COMMON
Pally having 3+ steeds...

These changes should adjust the overall power level of Arena so that it feels like the choices players are making in their drafting decisions are more meaningful.

You don't need to be a rocket scientist to PILOT A DECK ABOVE ok? u discover lich king tarim tirion? u pick it u see aoe? u pick it? u see steeds you pick it? so it's a matter of who high rolls how many and also who draws it first to play usually wins in the game.

i'm made leaderboard player in Jan 2018 #117 ..... doing runs is absolutely painful meeting people with ridiculous better than constructed arena themed decks.

***THE BIGGEST PROBLEM IS***

AFTER THESE HOT FIXES YOU ARE NOT RETIRING THE PRE 11.0.1 DECKS which means THEY WILL STILL PLAGUE THE COMMUNITY FOR MONTHS TO COME TILL THE NEXT EXPANSION! This is YOUR MESS and your testers DIDN"T test this PROPERLY. U SHOULD RETIRE ALL EXISTING DECKS AND START ON A CLEAN SLATE. IT AFFECTS LEADERBOARDS and RUNS OTHER PEOPLE HAVE ALREADY DONE. Like in all fairness just GUT IT like these few months with so many changes trying to make a serious run for leaderboard is a joke and when u get crushed beyond utter belief with a pre nerfed deck and it kills your average you are not a happy PERSON that is 100% for sure

honestly it's the UTTERLY WORST expansion launch for arena meta to date...

HOWEVER HOWEVER.... I must say i appreciate you guys listening and reacting quick before the situation erodes... but please HAVE MORE TESTERS... I"LL DO IT FOR YOU FOR FREE AND GIVE YOU MY INSIGHT I"LL DO IT FOR YOU FOR FREE HONESTLY in future please don't make these sorta mess again thanks blizzard
*Reminder*

I know this is a hot topic for some and something Arena players feel very passionate about. I can respect that. However, please make sure you are keeping a couple things in mind when posting:

• Be respectful - Mind the CoC when posting please.
  • Do not attack other players - Different players have different experiences and therefore have different opinions. If you do not agree, you are welcome to discuss your stance. However, blatant attacks, name calling and anything of this nature can result in actions being taken.
  • Be constructive - We always want to hear your feedback. However, we can do much more with "I don't like XXX because of XXX reason" than "!$%!#@$$% BLIZZARD THIS SUCKS!".

• 04/18/2018 04:46 PMPosted by ilikeeggs
    So...any way we can get an idea on the drop rates?

This isn't info that would come from me :p But I think it is a fair request. I will pass this suggestion on to Team 5 and see what their thoughts are on providing additional context to the drafts.

Thanks for the suggestion ilikeeggs :)
    Hello Jesse,
    What will happen to pre-patch decks? There were a bunch of pre-patch decks that we had to play against after the 10.4 hotfix, will they be retired?
    I honestly don't think the "un-retired decks" from previous patches is much of an issue. Yes, they will exist, particularly right after the patch, but each individual player will have at most one of those, and the number of those decks floating around should be incredibly small after a single week.

Not everyone who plays Lich King is running a deck from before the last patch; I've been offered Lich King recently, and I'm sure 95% of decks currently running Lich King were drafted after the last patch, not before.

Yeah, some people might just stop playing Arena for a while if they think their deck is really good, but I think they are a tiny minority. And even if 25% of the player base waits a month before queueing again (unlikely), it's still way more likely that any good deck you happen to play against is simply a good deck from the current patch.
    04/18/2018 05:13 PMPosted by Banzai
    What will happen to pre-patch decks?

There will be no changes to current decks.
    04/18/2018 05:16 PMPosted by ilikeeggs
    I honestly don't think the "un-retired decks" from previous patches is much of an issue. Yes, they will exist, particularly right after the patch, but each individual player will have at most one of those, and the number of those decks floating around should be incredibly small after a single week.

Not everyone who plays Lich King is running a deck from before the last patch; I've been offered Lich King recently, and I'm sure 95% of decks currently running Lich King were drafted after the last patch, not before.

Yeah, some people might just stop playing Arena for a while if they think their deck is really good, but I think they are a tiny minority. And even if 25% of the player base waits a month before queueing again (unlikely), it's still way more likely that any good deck you happen to play against is simply a good deck from the current patch.

Yeah I guess considering last time, it was much more cumbersome considering the abundance of legendaries. Hopefully, pre-patch decks will not be as much of a factor to our performances as they were before.
    Also thank you for the response, Jesse.
    04/18/2018 05:21 PMPosted by Jesse Hill
    04/18/2018 05:13 PMPosted by Banzai
    What will happen to pre-patch decks?

There will be no changes to current decks.

thanks for the prompt responses to this hot topic aggravating a lot of arena players and i hope we can continue to discuss in a civilized manner. appreciate some communication on this matter than just being dead silent...
    Jesse,
    What is your take on class diversity? Over the past expansions, there are only a group of specific classes dominating the arena scene. One idea I had is to lock arena classes, so you can't play the same class consecutively. Though I'm not sure how the algorithm would work, I think a large abundance of classes that show in arena is just a matter of being offered the same classes. Most people tend to play the strongest classes in arena, so to dilute that, I think locking classes similar to the locking classes in hearthstone tournaments would be an interesting change that would make arena more diverse, and give all other classes a chance to shine.
    04/18/2018 05:31 PMPosted by Wrathblade
    thanks for the prompt responses to this hot topic aggravating a lot of arena players and i hope we can continue to discuss in a civilized manner. appreciate some communication on this matter than just being dead silent...

I'll be honest with you. I'm trying to balance in interacting some more in all the forum channels. I read through them all daily, but don't always get to comment on things. It is a growing process for me, but I appreciate the patience and continued feedback.

I will do my best to have more of a presence here as well as the other forums. If anything, just so you guys know your feedback is being received.

As mentioned, please continue to deliver that feedback. This is an ongoing thing and it helps to let Team 5 know where the players are at. I won't always have answers, but I will always do my best to get you what info I can.

Cheers!