Hotfix 11.0.1 Arena Changes

Arena Discussion
Ugh. Is the patch out yet? did not see any official announcement.
Can MCT be removed from the arena? It is a card that punishes good players who can keep the board and swings the game is such a huge way for someone who is behind.
04/18/2018 05:51 PMPosted by Jesse Hill
I'll be honest with you. I'm trying to balance in interacting some more in all the forum channels. I read through them all daily, but don't always get to comment on things. It is a growing process for me, but I appreciate the patience and continued feedback. I will do my best to have more of a presence here as well as the other forums. If anything, just so you guys know your feedback is being received.

Your effort is greatly appreciated, Jesse. Thank you!
Thank you Jesse for your communication and transparency. This means a lot to us.

Thank you Team5 for your reactivity and efforts ! I don't care if the hotfixes/patches are not perfect, and I much MUCH prefer to see regular small changes than staleness in unpleasant states.
This is the way to go, please keep up the good work :)
this is good news, but is it out yet? saw nothing, and there's only patch changes for witchwood release.
04/19/2018 04:50 PMPosted by huebee
Can MCT be removed from the arena? It is a card that punishes good players who can keep the board and swings the game is such a huge way for someone who is behind.

I so agree with this one, MCT rubs me the wrong way for so many reasons, it's even worse than flappy bird imo. You can't mulligan to be prepared for it, and certain classes, like shaman or paladin, can't really play around it many times. Even if it only steals a 1/1 token it's better than a usual 3 drop, and if it steals their biggest minion, it's substancially better than mind control, even though it only has 30% cost, many times making coming back from it nearly impossible. It's completely random, so unlike with other strong cards like meteor, you can't mitigate the damage by clever positioning or such. And for me, the worst part is that it's part of the classic set. I understand that they wanted a way so people could make comebacks, but can't any cards from the new expansions serve that purpose? It's been 4 years of MCT already, the Hall of Fame was made so that constructed players have a different experience as the years pass, can't arena players be offered the same courtesy?

I hope that at least with the hotfix MCT are more rarely offered and ideally in a higher bucket, since in my last 20 arena games I saw 5 MCTs and from the arena streams I watch others don't fare too much better in this regard, this has been the most frustrating part in an otherwise enjoyable meta.
04/19/2018 11:47 AMPosted by Domnorix
Off topic, but It would be nice to just have MCT outright removed from arena. You're forced to play around it in nearly every game. After 4 years, I'm so completely sick of it. When you're forced to ignore the possiblity of MCT, sure enough, there it is, instant loss.

And while they are doing that they might as well remove all "board clears", "swing cards" and "RNG" so when I play a strong 1 drop into 2 into 3, I just win because I was smart enough to snowball a game but not smart enough to play 3 minions and if I'm forced to play a 4th the other 3 can't deal with the worse outcome if there is a MCT in my opponent's hand.
04/20/2018 09:36 AMPosted by toysoldier
04/19/2018 11:47 AMPosted by Domnorix
Off topic, but It would be nice to just have MCT outright removed from arena. You're forced to play around it in nearly every game. After 4 years, I'm so completely sick of it. When you're forced to ignore the possiblity of MCT, sure enough, there it is, instant loss.

And while they are doing that they might as well remove all "board clears", "swing cards" and "RNG" so when I play a strong 1 drop into 2 into 3, I just win because I was smart enough to snowball a game but not smart enough to play 3 minions and if I'm forced to play a 4th the other 3 can't deal with the worse outcome if there is a MCT in my opponent's hand.

So you're saying that if you're a paladin and have a vinecleaver equipped you can afford to play around MCT? Many times you will have to swing and your board will look like a 6-7 drop and 3-4 1/1s. And when the MCT hits you, if it takes your 7 drop you will lose, if it doesn't you will probably win. There isn't anything smart about that.

Against Meteor or flamestrike, there are many times where you can either position or mix and match your threats where they aren't as devastating. Against MCT, since it's steal a random minion and not, let's say, steal your opponent's rightmost minion, there are so many cases where smarts won't make a difference.

If MCT was changed so that it hit according to positioning I'd be totally fine with the card, since it's not and especially since it's neutral, for me it's easily card of the classic set that most negatively influences arena. And the fact that, at least until the hotfix, there was a crapload of them, meant that for every arena game no matter the class you were playing against, the board space was restricted to 3 slots unless you really couldn't help it, which was a really unpleasant, suffocating feeling.
Hi Jesse, can you confirm if the hotfix is live?
Thanks.
04/20/2018 04:04 PMPosted by gwasp
Hi Jesse, can you confirm if the hotfix is live?
Thanks.

Confirmed.
As far as I can tell, this is still not significantly better. Just played a whole string of games where I got womped by people with tons of repeated, high value cards. Still feels quite terrible to draft and massively unbalanced to play.

This meta has far too many answers, to the point where I'm seeing 5-10 per game that completely sweep the board or swap board control regardless of previous position. It's like playing whack-a-mole. Unless Blizz wants games to swing so that any plays before 8th turn don't matter, there is still a TON of work to do here.
04/20/2018 06:15 PMPosted by Seran
As far as I can tell, this is still not significantly better. Just played a whole string of games where I got womped by people with tons of repeated, high value cards. Still feels quite terrible to draft and massively unbalanced to play.

This meta has far too many answers, to the point where I'm seeing 5-10 per game that completely sweep the board or swap board control regardless of previous position. It's like playing whack-a-mole. Unless Blizz wants games to swing so that any plays before 8th turn don't matter, there is still a TON of work to do here.

Or just revert all the changes? I never really had a problem with the way arenas played out originally.
04/20/2018 06:15 PMPosted by Seran

Yes, this is a big issue. There is an answer to everything and it gets annoying real fast. I'm so tired of having a perfect curve in a game and constantly being hit by answer after answer to the point where I have no steam left and the opponent takes control. The fact that you often see these strong answers in the draft is what makes it so frustrating.

Another thing, which has nothing to do with Blizzard really but RNG, is that my opponent seemingly always get just the right answers they need through cards like Thoughtsteel, Devour Mind, Primordial Glyph, etc. There are quite a lot of these cards around.
give the original arena style a try again who know it might still work.