Duskfallen Aviana and bad card design

Play Mode Discussion
Ok ughf...this thread has inspired me to actually make a deck with that thing. "thanks"
It's a risk vs reward card. Eg Bring it On or Millhouse.

Play DFA.
Opponent plays a powerful minion, and you naturalize/voodoo doll it, after playing your own powerful minion (say your 12/12 can't be targeted by spells or hero powers).
or Opponent burns a removal on DFA, taking one for the team
or Opponent plays a weapon, which you break after playing your own huge minion
Who knows maybe next expansion has a Lotheb for Minions that you can combo with. IE You make their next minion cost 5 and make it so they can't play any other minions that turn. It might be bad now but in the future it could be the missing link for a very consistent competitive wombo combo that catapults a deck to tier 1.
05/11/2018 07:21 AMPosted by Mefisto
Remember when the community was all agreed that Raza and hardonox were awful, trash tier, disenchantable cards? How could team 5 possibly waste a legendary slot on such filth!

Definitely way too soon to make any definitive statements about a card that will get 5 more sets of playtime before rotating out.

Nobody ever stated that Raza was bad. The only question was how good renopriest was gonna be with it, was it going to be crazy enough to boost it to competitive level.
05/11/2018 08:10 AMPosted by TheRiddler
I'll make a definitive statement on this point. Avianna Duskfallen is the worst card in the game and it will never ever Ever EVER be good. Period. Bar none. End of story.

100% agree with you and let me also add that i doubt that any other future legendary will be as bad as this card.
The only way i can see this work is if druid gets a card that gives him extra turn, like mage quest or priests dragon.
I think it's safe to say you don't know what you're talking about.
I wouldn't mind if the card gave us the benefit of effects first but, literally has to wait 1 turn before making it usable. By then my opponent has already removed it and has tempo over me.
Your opponent will almost always get value from Duskfallen unless something horrible happens and they somehow manage to summon her on your side during their turn.

She's even worse than Millhouse because at least the former can be cheated out with Call to Arms.

I get it. There are meme legendaries that are just there for the silly factor, but DFA doesn't even accomplish that, when you really think about it. You have to blow 5 mana on a minion with underwhelming stats AND somehow have your opponent not take advantage of it.
05/11/2018 12:09 PMPosted by Langis

Yeah man

Tell me about the hot Aviana meta to come
05/11/2018 01:00 PMPosted by Flustered
05/11/2018 12:09 PMPosted by Langis

Yeah man

Tell me about the hot Aviana meta to come

No.
I'll make a definitive statement on this point. Avianna Duskfallen is the worst card in the game and it will never ever Ever EVER be good. Period. Bar none. End of story. - TheRiddler

So you don't believe Team 5 will make a worse card than Avianna Duskfallen. Then you don't know them very well. Give them time and I'll sure they'll come up with something ; )
I actually love the design of DA and Temporus, really powerful effects , but with a major downside, cards like these are exciting to design around and experiment with.

Perhaps they will never be good, but much fun can be had trying stuff, and there are plenty of instances of "bad cards" suddenly turning out to be top tier in the right deck and the right meta.

I could definitely see Duskfallen aviana working vs some decks, play it vs aggro when they have a nearly empty hand, they get to play an extra firefly, you get to UI for zero mana, I know who got the better deal out of that! and that's why I like the card, it's skill testing, play it at the wrong time against the wrong deck and it could lose you the game, but get it right and she could give you a huge advantage.

I think cards like this are waaay healthier for the game than "always good" cards like Tarim, which is good in offensive and defensive situations, you can even drop him on an empty board and he isn't terrible! I like cards that make you think before playing them, rather than everything just being dropped on curve.
I think it would be worth it if it was "At the start of each upkeep, cards cost 0 for the turn". If it's:

05/11/2018 11:16 AMPosted by Dannomite
a risk vs reward card
why not go all out? Would be really fun!
It is a risk vs reward card. Is it a horrible design? No. Can the card backfire? Yes. But if the opponent doesn't have something strong in hand or a way to remove her, it is quite possible to punish them.
05/11/2018 07:27 AMPosted by Derpanite
Only priest and druid got 2 kinda bad ones each with the other ones they sort of did a good job at it.

I think priest ones are not that bad. Chameleos is not the most strongest card but i can see it in almost any deck. You can see what your opponent is playing and play it yourself. It's just good. and for the lady in white i have even seen her on Spiteful decks.
05/11/2018 11:16 AMPosted by Dannomite
It's a risk vs reward card. Eg Bring it On or Millhouse.

Play DFA.
Opponent plays a powerful minion, and you naturalize/voodoo doll it, after playing your own powerful minion (say your 12/12 can't be targeted by spells or hero powers).
or Opponent burns a removal on DFA, taking one for the team
or Opponent plays a weapon, which you break after playing your own huge minion

The issue there is that your opponent can also kill DFA on their turn.

You give them unlimited mana to play anything they want first, and then they can deal with DFA with whatever mana they had that turn. It is a total net loss because your opponent got an amazing effect and robbed you of it while also gaining immense tempo
05/11/2018 01:17 PMPosted by megajeff
I could definitely see Duskfallen aviana working vs some decks, play it vs aggro when they have a nearly empty hand, they get to play an extra firefly, you get to UI for zero mana, I know who got the better deal out of that!

They have the better deal, because you blew 5 mana on a poorly-statted minion that doesn't have taunt vs. an aggro deck.
05/11/2018 01:34 PMPosted by Coud
05/11/2018 07:27 AMPosted by Derpanite
Only priest and druid got 2 kinda bad ones each with the other ones they sort of did a good job at it.

I think priest ones are not that bad. Chameleos is not the most strongest card but i can see it in almost any deck. You can see what your opponent is playing and play it yourself. It's just good. and for the lady in white i have even seen her on Spiteful decks.
What I meant was more than both Chameleos and Lady in white are not standout good. They are okay/good cards but nothing special.