Silver Sword should be banned from Arena

Arena Discussion
Either that or make weapon removal cards appear more often when making decks. Silver Sword is ridiculous. 3/4 weapon with +1/+1 to minions every attack...in Arena??? If you're not choosing Paladin when you have a chance you don't know what's going on.

Arena is super minion heavy which makes Silver Sword overpowered, and most of the time when I make a deck I don't have the chance to pick an Ooze. So when it comes into play I just have to sit there and take it. Garbage design.
I agree. It is absurdly powerful. Almost impossible to come back from unless you have the immediate weapon destruction in hand. And even then, they probably have another one waiting in hand since the new Arena is full of copies.
There's an Arena mode forum where this would have more impact.
Also, it's a freaking 3/4 weapon. It costs 8 mana, true, but look at its ability. Give +1/+1 to the team. it shoud be a 3/2
Silver Sword is balanced, what if you no have full board?
Basically useless, and it is 8 mana, so you have a dead card until the late game.

You just need to stop complaining and enjoy arena.
I'm more frustrated at the fact that every paladin i face has a steed on turn 6 or top decks one on turn 6 or above.
Shouldn't be banned it should be offered way way less. It's not the best card in the world since requires a board, but it produces too much value for something to constantly appear in drafts.
I totally agree. I drafted paladin, got 2 silver swords, went 12-1 easy; ridddddiculously powerful... extremely unfair. It is NOT a ''win-more'' card like some say, it's a ''oh gosh i'm behind but oh way I just silver sword so now I win''
While I agree that the card is overpowered in Arena, it is not as extreme as PanicButton suggests.

Last week I was ahead on board, my opponent played Silver Sword. By using my advantage to aggresively clear the board each time, I was able to keep them at bay. Yes, I did have to sacrifice some of my board advantage to clear their entire board every time, when they could then just spam new minions next turn and swing to get them buffed. But their minion-spamming did mean that after that their hand was almost empty; I still had a small board advantage left and more cards, allowing me to close the game.

This week I was paladin myself and I had a Silver Sword. It was in my hand but I was too far behind already. For three turns in a row I could not afford to spend 8 mana on a weapon because my opponent was threatening lethal and I had to play removal, healing, or taunts. And the fourth turn I was out of answers and had only the concede button left as viable play.
One of the last times I encountered the sword, I drew ooze after one or two charges... it was still too good.
Needs the Flamestrike treatment at the very least. Equality too.
Sword should be in the top bucket but it isn't. This is why it's a problem. This is why Paladin is still around the top 3 class even thought their get less top bucket cards than other classes lol
05/20/2018 04:53 PMPosted by Ropemaster
Basically useless, and it is 8 mana, so you have a dead card until the late game.

I doubt I'm the only one who's had a Paladin play this when the his board is empty and (if you have no weapon removal) just fill up the board on the next turn and still win easily. This card seems very difficult to come back from.
07/28/2018 01:37 PMPosted by Isaac
I doubt I'm the only one who's had a Paladin play this when the his board is empty and (if you have no weapon removal) just fill up the board on the next turn and still win easily. This card seems very difficult to come back from.

Nobody here is denying that this card is very strong in Arena. Just scroll up to my July 20 post where I start with that acknowledgement. But I then also go on to show two situations where it was not game winning.

However, there are more cards in the 8 mana slot that are very strong and in many situations overpowered. Free from Amber for example - more often than not allows the one playing it to pick a game-swinging minion such as Obsidian Statue (which is insane in the mostly minion-based arena combat). Or Al'Akir the Windlord. Or Twisting Nether. Or Grommash. Or Bonemare. Or The Lich King.

Again, stressing that I have already stated in this thread that Silver Sword is OP. But let's not lose perspective - lots of 8 mana cards are very powerful, it's not a situation where one single card is countless times better than all others.
Because paladin always has hero power, you won't have an empty board. Also, it's effing PALADIN.

should be a 3/3 even though most of the time they've/you've won at this point. ***MOST of the time. So yes I still think it should be nerfed. So should have spikeridged steed though...

Come to think of it why have they acknowledged that there are like 5 tiers of cards and then put them into buckets? Doesn't that seem like a backwards philosophy for people who should actually be trying to balance their game??

Holy shart that blows my mind. I know that it's impossible to balance everything, but if they can clearly see that something like spikeridged steed, ah whatever. Why do I play this game.
07/28/2018 01:37 PMPosted by Isaac
05/20/2018 04:53 PMPosted by Ropemaster

Silver sword is balanced, everyone who plays pally knows this.
Buffing your board every turn is not overpowered, look at Yogg Sarron, he sometimes wins the game for you, it's the same thing.
I do believe that silver sword does not belong in arena, in a similar way to how some death knight cards didn't.
I personally relate this card in arena to frost lich jaina.
I do understand that the two cards have drastically different effects, and I also think that frost lich jaina was more powerful than silver sword in arena.

However they do have in common the aspects that
a) They are cards so powerful that they will just win you the game if played at an even/slightly behind board state.
b) They have powerful lingering effects even after the turn they are played.
c) The best ''counter'' to them is being so far ahead in the game that even the most powerful effects in the game cannot turn the game around.

Yes, silver sword is also countered by weapon destruction, but that means that you need those specific cards at the specific moments to really pull off the counter. If silver sword gets three swings out of four, chances are that is good enough to steal the win. Therefore you pretty much need to play the weapon destruction immediately after silver sword has been played to keep things at bay, assuming even board state.
However the most weapon destruction cards that I've seen in a draft is only two, and in many other drafts, perhaps in the majority, you get one or none. This means that weapon destruction is very inconsistent, and certainly cannot be relied on as a counter.
This means that there aren't any readily available counters to silver sword, unlike most other powerful cards; AOE's can be played around, big minions can be polymorphed, silenced, or just simply killed.
Needless to say unlike frost lich jaina, you can draft multiple copies of silver swords. This will be less likely in the future as more expansions come out, but in the occasional times that the card is drafted, it will still be excessively powerful.

On a personal note, I dislike the card since I feel miserable when just ONE card determines the win or loss of a game so consistently. Other cards could be in that determining position depending on how and when they are played, but not as nearly as consistently as silver sword.

Ultimately my reasoning for wanting silver sword banned from arena is that it is relatively comparable in power level to frost lich jaina, which was probably the biggest reason why death knight cards were banned from arena.
"but if they have no board its not a good card"

I'm sorry. I've won many games simply because of this weopon as paladin. Having a board or not often doesn't matter so long as you either draft or have value cards or a hand. Drop one or two minions, hero power and face and the sword is still just that much OP as not having any minions on board. I've won plenty games equipping the sword with no board and still EASILY winning.

The problem for the opponent tends to run out of cards or options because of this sword; it is hard to keep up with a weopon that gives stronger board presence for -4- turns on TOP of the Paladin being able to control the board even further with the 3 damage for 4 turns. I've played enough arena to see this exact scenario unfold the same over and over and over.

There are some cards, like this one, that can instantly swing a game in one direction, often not mattering what the opponent does that needs to be removed or nerfed specifically for arena. This is one of those cards I've won consistently with so many times compared to the other strong cards that, after playing a !@#$load of arena you will then actually see why this card is too strong for Arena. If you have 2 or more swords drafted you've just tripled your chances 7 wins even with decent or worst arena deck drafted being the rest of your deck - that is how cancer this card is.

I personally love it when I get to pick Paladin though. Draft 2 and I know my chances of getting my money back are nearly guaranteed. I'm not even making this up =3
05/20/2018 11:45 AMPosted by engine
Also, it's a freaking 3/4 weapon. It costs 8 mana, true, but look at its ability. Give +1/+1 to the team. it shoud be a 3/2

I agree, always thought 4 charges is way to much.