Rank 2...

Play Mode Discussion
This rank has to be the most frustrating I’ve been in yet. It’s like I hit a wall. I am literally at a 50% winrate, with 1 star into it. Don’t really know how to get over this wall. Any tips are appreciated.
:D :D wait for nerfs :D today...maybe..or tommorow....i lost my nerves from this at rank 5 - 2....its really frustrating and not fun at all...
TlDR: Remember to take breaks if the game begins to feel overwhelming you. Try not to rage re-queue because it's difficult to make sound decisions when you're triggered. Try to always put yourself in the best possible position to win the game and don't concede too soon as there may be a glimmer of hope. Take it easy and you'll get to where you want to be eventually as long as you apply the basic fundamentals of hearthstone with sound decision making. Good luck with whatever you want to do on ladder.

The competitive nature of the ladder system can be frustrating if you want to win and gain the next highest rank. Here's a story.

A long time ago back in TgT I was 1 win away from legend. It was my first time pushing for legend and I had played well by hand and deck tracking my opponent while taking it slow and thinking through all my plays one or two turns ahead. I took the game very seriously. I was piloting a midranged paladin and queued against an aggro shaman right before rank 1. We fought long and hard for board control but eventually I won ending up with a full board with some taunts, one hp and lethal next turn. My opponent with no board and zero cards left in hand had 14 cards left in their deck. I knew my opponent's only outs were one crackle and a flame juggler which left me feeling quite safe as I ended my turn.

Unwavering and not willing to concede before the signs of defeat the shaman drew his last card. My heart started to beat faster and faster wondering what they drew but I constantly reassured myself the chances of losing were slim. The wait was killing me and the rope started to burn. I thought to myself, the shaman must have left when all of a sudden they hit me with a 'well played' and drop the mystery card from their hand. "IT'S GETTING HOT IN HERE!" is all I heard as time seemed to slow down. I felt a bead of sweat roll down my head (I was in an unconditioned room during Aussie summer) and at that moment I realised the shaman may have been doing a ritual or some !@#$. A tiny fire ball flies vertically down my screen past my Dr.7 and sludge belcher smacking me in the face for one causing me to explode.

It was a terrible defeat, I was triggered. Very triggered that I had did the best I could to stay in the game to die to RNG. I was put off my game for the rest of the night and ended back at rank 4 by the end of it following a string of terrible, rash plays. I felt crushed, and I gave up playing hearthstone for days after that.

Then one day I realised, %^-* happens. One day you might get destroyed by RNG and another day you may destroy someone by RNG. I think back to everytime my Swagneros has hit face for victory against a board of 7 minions or the time my opponent unstable portal out a deathwing for me to unstable portal out a BGH. So I returned to hearthstone taking my time to make the best plays, trying not to hate the game when RNG goes poorly for me and taking a break when things seems a bit overwhelming. I stopped trigger-conceding and fought to the end no matter how bad the odds where and after a while, I hit legend within the month. That felt truly satisfying having fought through the sea of shamans and secret paladins to reach the top.

Now every-time I hit legend, I always remember that one time, my first time pushing for legend and how I was denied. But then I also remember how I recovered in the following days to achieve the goal I so desperately wanted.

Moral of the story is that you shouldn't give up too easily but it things feel a little overwhelming, you should take a break. It can be easy to get triggered which clouds your decision making. Bad decision making may lead to bad plays and a losing streak making you end up further behind from where you started. Take it easy and focus on the fundamentals of hearthstone like hand/deck tracking, predicting what your opponent's win condition's are how you can further your game plan on how to beat them. Don't give up no matter how bad things may seem because you'll get where you want to be eventually so long as you have sound decision making.

Good luck with your climb.
I found that there are times during the day where climbing is easier. In the morning my matchups tended to be more favorable than in the evening.

When I started feeling like I was hitting a wall, I paused and came back later. The decks I was queuing into had shifted, and I could get a few more wins.

Getting to legend is a measure of patience more than anything else. If you can get to rank 2, you can get/will get to legend given enough time.
Try not to rage re-queue because it's difficult to make sound decisions when you're triggered. .

To play call to arms turn 4 or not. To play summoner turn 6 or not. All those difficult decisions...

For op:

Like mentioned, taking breaks is essential if you really want to get legend. Also reading the meta; until nerfs hit I'd say countering paladin is your main goal since they're most prevalent at ranks below 5.

My advice would be just stop trying to get legend. Sure, go for it, but just know that it doesn't add anything to game unless you want to grind and be top 1000 all the time. There it really makes a difference since your mmr will most likely result in repeated matches against same person allowing for counter queue strategies while playing. I haven't really seen point during last or this month because I've found most of the meta, namely spiteful and paladin decks, just to be really boring to play against.
05/22/2018 05:09 AMPosted by dhowl
Try not to rage re-queue because it's difficult to make sound decisions when you're triggered. .

To play call to arms turn 4 or not. To play summoner turn 6 or not. All those difficult decisions...

There are times when you don't want to play a turn 4 CTA. (Like when you already have a strong board and don't want to run into a consecration, or hellfire).

There is also a lot of decision making as far as good trades are concerned, choosing to use silences or hold them for higher priority targets, maximizing buff usage, minion positioning decisions, not overextending into AoEs...

Sure, there are some plays that are usually the right answer if available (most of the time a spiteful summoner on t6 is an easy decision), but there is a lot more that goes into winning consistently than just drawing right.
05/22/2018 05:16 AMPosted by Smeet

Like when you already have a strong board and don't want to run into a consecration, or hellfire

Genius!
Hey if it makes ya feel any better
R20-15 is 100 percent the same meta-decks, and always will be, as R100 legend and such. R20 is looked-up meta decks and not-deckbuilding...always will be...its wayyyyy easier to look up a deck than build a weaker-synergy yet unpredictable so fun deck.

I think 99 percent of matches end with opponent saying "thank you" instead of "well played' like HS's culture used to be when the game was new-feeling and super fun.

Change I've made is to stop-expecting normal-courteous "GG well played" at match end...and realize...and not deny...that hearthstone has become a game of "thank you's" at match end. Scalebane should be 6 no question....like 5 health is the big number over 4...its big enough...better than all 6 drops...but its 5 for some apparent reason?

Don't expect "well played" and you won't be disappointed. Say well played regardless to treat other's how you'd like to be.

R20 is all 100 percent refined metadecks and 'thank you"s at match end...f/e your opponent will 'thank you' before hitting lethal...instead of the old days it was 'well played this game is fun'. this 'thank you' culture shift is from netdecks...not from harder-synergy decks.

Scalebanes, Tar Creepers, Saronites, Fireflys, and basically Bonemares every deck.
very rare to encounter a non-'bane 'tar n 'nite deck....
Look how much Rogues love Sarnoite n Firefly...they relationship strong.
Best 5 drop in standard? well Azure's out so lets jam in cobalts n ask for removal?
yikes devs

Rooogue mullihighrolled kel into SS....Mages mullihighrolled Wyrm into burn/KTM...game is so mulli-combo-roll for T1 n 2 trip cards. by T2.
You don't always want to play CTA on turn 4

If your opponent has a decent board, you don't want to simply have him trade into your knife juggler for example.

So you may consecrate, chain gang or truesilver to get his threats gone for a turn 5 CTA

I just made rank 2 with Even Pally, I'm usually not a band wagoneer but after kicking myself for not riding the Jade Druid and Raza Priest train, I said why not get as high as possible before the nerfs.

My previous high rank is 7

BTW, I have won games as Even Pally WITHOUT using CTA AT ALL because I didnt draw it or whiffed late game.

I got to Rank 2 without a deck tracker cause Im lazy and dumb, would really help not to whiff on CTA
Well I’m gonna give it a day and see how the meta settles cause I’m not trying to go in blind and fall back all the way to rank 4 or 5 or something.
I just look at stats (hs replay) and see what's being played the most atm, then try to meta-break it. If you can home brew a deck that techs against pally/warlock, you're probably in a good spot to advance. If you are meta-decking yourself, then yeah it's kind of a coin-flip based on how polarizing your match-up is or who draws the nuts in a mirror. I pushed into legend this month with mid-hunter of all things.

Another seemingly crazy tip is to play other strategy card games. I've been playing a lot of MTGArena and Shadowverse and I have to say that the way they make you think about the process of a given game, really sharpens your skills in Hearthstone, which is a much more simplistic game by comparison.
05/22/2018 09:46 AMPosted by Appletinii
I just look at stats (hs replay) and see what's being played the most atm, then try to meta-break it. If you can home brew a deck that techs against pally/warlock, you're probably in a good spot to advance. If you are meta-decking yourself, then yeah it's kind of a coin-flip based on how polarizing your match-up is or who draws the nuts in a mirror. I pushed into legend this month with mid-hunter of all things.

Another seemingly crazy tip is to play other strategy card games. I've been playing a lot of MTGArena and Shadowverse and I have to say that the way they make you think about the process of a given game, really sharpens your skills in Hearthstone, which is a much more simplistic game by comparison.

Dang mid hunter? That’s pretty good. I’ve been using big spell mage mostly.