Taunt Warrior question

Play Mode Discussion
With the current meta, would it be best to include one or two cornered sentrys?
05/16/2018 02:47 PMPosted by KrustyFlesh
With the current meta, would it be best to include one or two cornered sentrys?

I've dropped from two to one.

Spiteful decks are slightly less common than they were at the start of the WW meta and Taunt Druid is less common than it was back in the first few weeks of the WW meta.

These two things combined have led me to only run 1x Cornered Sentry now instead of 2x
decent card when paired with ravaging ghoul or kobold apprentice.
This is one of the best, most productive, healthiest topics I've seen in a while.
05/16/2018 03:00 PMPosted by UrukEnkidu

Well, the first one rotated so.. yeah..

God, I miss that card :(
There's arguments for and against Sentry. Some lists ignore her completley and they get by just fine.

I've personally dropped her from my list after previously running her as a one-of. Taunt Druids aren't as common and you won't always get to line her up with a comfortable Whirlwind or Brawl.
What are we talking about?

The only thing I know Cornered Sentry is good at is screwing the game for Revive Priest and DR Beast revive hunter.
Probably one depending on what your collection options are. Two if you really, really don't like losing to Hadronox // Witching Hour :D.
05/17/2018 12:23 AMPosted by August Dean Ayala
Probably one depending on what your collection options are. Two if you really, really don't like losing to Hadronox // Witching Hour :D.

Well, I liked using two just to botch revive tactics and what not, plus the good taunt body on any turn, but giving away three free minions is such a pain, effectively making the sentry a 2/3 body if you can't get rid of the tokens, not counting if the minions get buffed.

But there in lies a weakness for taunt warrior: no real good taunt bodies at 2 mana. I miss dirty rat for the solid body plus the pull and tick on quest counter. Sure, you could pull something huge, but you perhaps brawl it away or execute it or whatever. I run other things at 2 mana (an ooze for weapons, armorer for reckless flurry synergy or curbing aggro, battlerage for card draw), but I wouldn't mind a better solid body at 2 mana for quest warrior, whether class or neutral.

Dire mole was probably one of my favorite cards so far in the 1 mana class, as it has great stats plus a beast tag. A good neutral 2 mana taunt with health better than frostwolf grunt would be nice, even if it meant 1 or 0 attack.
05/16/2018 04:49 PMPosted by OniEyes
05/16/2018 03:00 PMPosted by UrukEnkidu

Agree so much.
Toxic + Ghoul is way more fun that 1-drop + Razor or Secret + Spellstone.
All the fun Hunter Cards are in Wild, Standard Hunter until next expansion is just really, really, basic with nothing cool going on politely.

Reasons to play hunter in Wild:
Ravaging Ghoul + Toxic
Steamwheelde Sniper + Genn
Garrison Commander + Genn
Frost G's + Genn
Feign Death over Play Dead n Terrors.
Nerubian Egg over Devil Egg
Quickshot for Non-Kirin Tor'd n CounterSpelled Mana Wyrms on 2.
Quickshot for Clerics or other 3 healths on 2.
Glaivezooka for combos.
Sylvannas for any DR Trigger
Sylvannas again for DR Hunter...the core-backbone of the deck.
Kings Elek for chance-draw
Desert Camel for...interacting with your opponen'ts deck, hand n strategy.
Deathlord - same as above.
Coldlight - same as above.
Tentacle of Nzoth - better 2dmg AoE than Explosive or UTH.
Princess Huhuran - the best deathrattle trigger from prior-turn.
Piranha Launcher - nothing says 'I intentionally don't play meta and expected cards' like this.

None of above are in Standard. Nothing fun going on.
Hunter's would have two super fun and good standard-decks if Blizz would move the following cards into classic set:
Hunter-class cards:
(2) Steemwheelde n Feign Death

Neutral cards for Hunters:
(7) Garrison, Sylvannas, Deathlord, Ghoul, Genn, Nerubian Egg n Frost G's.

These cards being around are what make non-agro, non-secret-spellstone, minion-containing hunter fun. I mean Kel'Thuzad n Sneed's come to mind for Vanguard pulls in Deathrattle Hunter...possibly other 8's...Giant Sand Worm was a surprisingly effective Vanguard / Oozeling pull before it moved.

(couple baddies from Wild that come to mind):
Shaky ZIp, Smuggler's Crate, n Dispatch Kodo - just kidding the buffs aren't friends w a class that can't draw well at all.
Forlorn Stalker - same as above.
Core Rager - having an empty hand n a 7/7 isn't ideal...ever?
Ghazrhilla - too slow
etc..

Please Blizz...these are the cards that are fun to play in Hunter as packages.
Standard doesn't have stuff like this going on.

I mean even if you just put Sniper n Garrison in standard with Genn...
Or just Feign Death...
we'd have build-arounds for new-feeling Hunter decks.
I've never gotten the Warrior quest, alas, but I've played against it a lot. I would imagine that Cornered Sentry is more of a tech choice than a deck staple, and so in the current meta it's probably fine to just have one. Taunt Druid really isn't a thing anymore, so having just one is fine as you'll probably get it way before he gets Hadronox/Naturalize. Rez tactics have also fallen mostly by the wayside, so there's little need to have 2 Sentries to try and screw around with that.
05/17/2018 09:41 AMPosted by TheRiddler
I've never gotten the Warrior quest, alas, but I've played against it a lot. I would imagine that Cornered Sentry is more of a tech choice than a deck staple, and so in the current meta it's probably fine to just have one. Taunt Druid really isn't a thing anymore, so having just one is fine as you'll probably get it way before he gets Hadronox/Naturalize. Rez tactics have also fallen mostly by the wayside, so there's little need to have 2 Sentries to try and screw around with that.

But no other good taunt options exist at 2 mana. Ideally, given the aggro of this meta, you would ideally be able to play taunts on curve to buy you plenty of time to get to an AoE option (warpath x2, blood razor, brawl) while getting ticks so that your win condition comes online at some point before turn 12, especially since drawing seems to be an issue. Battle rage is hard to get to be effective, shield block may just delay the inevitable when you need more taunts on board and acolyte is just a bump in the road for aggro.
05/17/2018 09:37 AMPosted by Thorodan
05/16/2018 04:49 PMPosted by OniEyes

Agree so much.
Toxic + Ghoul is way more fun that 1-drop + Razor or Secret + Spellstone.
All the fun Hunter Cards are in Wild, Standard Hunter until next expansion is just really, really, basic with nothing cool going on politely.

Reasons to play hunter in Wild:
Ravaging Ghoul + Toxic
Steamwheelde Sniper + Genn
Garrison Commander + Genn
Frost G's + Genn
Feign Death over Play Dead n Terrors.
Nerubian Egg over Devil Egg
Quickshot for Non-Kirin Tor'd n CounterSpelled Mana Wyrms on 2.
Quickshot for Clerics or other 3 healths on 2.
Glaivezooka for combos.
Sylvannas for any DR Trigger
Sylvannas again for DR Hunter...the core-backbone of the deck.
Kings Elek for chance-draw
Desert Camel for...interacting with your opponen'ts deck, hand n strategy.
Deathlord - same as above.
Coldlight - same as above.
Tentacle of Nzoth - better 2dmg AoE than Explosive or UTH.
Princess Huhuran - the best deathrattle trigger from prior-turn.
Piranha Launcher - nothing says 'I intentionally don't play meta and expected cards' like this.

None of above are in Standard. Nothing fun going on.
Hunter's would have two super fun and good standard-decks if Blizz would move the following cards into classic set:
Hunter-class cards:

Neutral cards for Hunters:

These cards being around are what make non-agro, non-secret-spellstone, minion-containing hunter fun. I mean Kel'Thuzad n Sneed's come to mind for Vanguard pulls in Deathrattle Hunter...possibly other 8's...Giant Sand Worm was a surprisingly effective Vanguard / Oozeling pull before it moved.

(couple baddies from Wild that come to mind):
Shaky ZIp, Smuggler's Crate, n Dispatch Kodo - just kidding the buffs aren't friends w a class that can't draw well at all.
Forlorn Stalker - same as above.
Core Rager - having an empty hand n a 7/7 isn't ideal...ever?
Ghazrhilla - too slow
etc..

Please Blizz...these are the cards that are fun to play in Hunter as packages.
Standard doesn't have stuff like this going on.

I mean even if you just put Sniper n Garrison in standard with Genn...
Or just Feign Death...
we'd have build-arounds for new-feeling Hunter decks.

I think you have misunderstood, Unstable ghoul not Ravaging ghoul. The latter one is a Warrior minion only.
Drywhisker Armorer + Sentry = Good

So.. that plus Witching hour

At least one.
But no other good taunt options exist at 2 mana.

Well, that's the question about CS in general though. Is it really a "good 2 mana taunt" when it hands 3 1/1 minions over to your opponent? Particularly when it's an aggressive opponent who totally benefits from you flooding his board?
05/17/2018 09:58 AMPosted by TheRiddler
But no other good taunt options exist at 2 mana.

Well, that's the question about CS in general though. Is it really a "good 2 mana taunt" when it hands 3 1/1 minions over to your opponent? Particularly when it's an aggressive opponent who totally benefits from you flooding his board?

The idea is to generally WW or Blood Razor after the drop.

CS + Drywhisker + AOE

Then it's not a 2 drop. That's a 3 drop or a 6 drop. :)
05/17/2018 10:11 AMPosted by TheRiddler

Then it's not a 2 drop. That's a 3 drop or a 6 drop. :)

Right. I rarely play that card on curve any how.

Turn 2 is stubborn gastropod
I'm running two, but I also am able to easily combo it with a whirlwind effect, Brawl, Drywhisker Armorer, Armorsmith, or a combination of these.
05/17/2018 11:05 AMPosted by Flame
I'm running two, but I also am able to easily combo it with a whirlwind effect, Brawl, Drywhisker Armorer, Armorsmith, or a combination of these.

That was my rationale for two: good body and options to control the tokens if I played it after turn 2. But if an aggro match occurs, then you CAN'T afford to give tokens plus mulligan for some option to control the tokens. Sure, mulligan away the quest if you suspect an aggro match, but I'd rather hold onto it to have that dead card out the way in that case; not to mention mulligan'ing away the quest against suspected aggro when it's actually a control deck really puts you in a bind.

I guess a doomsayer or gastropod won't hurt, but even then, doomsayers are just a bump in the road to smashing your face in for aggro.