Book of Specters

Play Mode Discussion
Garbage card. Played it on curve with only 7 spells total in the deck, discarded 3 spells. Gotta remember folks, if the RNG is based on deck related stuff, never trust the algorithms used to create "RNG".
done
Plays spells

Runs book of spectres

Complains he discarded spells

I can't even ...
05/29/2018 01:01 AMPosted by CheezusCrust
"it didnt work for me, so its crap"

Mantra of Life for too many people.
Book of Specters is not meant to be played with spells. The card doesn't see play right now because Mage minions are not so great but that could change with future expansions.

Just like they pushed Spell Hunter and it is now a solid deck I'm sure they're going to push minion Mage decks in the future.
I've had big success with it in Elemental mage. Basically only minions in it besides two polymorphs and FLJ.
Depends on what spells and in what circumstances, but as ridiculous as this might at first seem - that might actually be very beneficial in some situations...

Seeing as you played it on curve, even though it discarded your spells, what you received from BoS was the ability to draw minions during turns 3-4-5 instead of drawing those possibly useless( depending on the match-up and the situation) spells. And seeing as the card is always run in a minion based deck, that might end up being more of a power boost and saving grace than drawing those spells.

Maybe I'm talking out of my !@#$, but if you can't do anything worthwhile for those 3 turns with the spells you draw, don't develop a board presence as a minion deck and can't draw mid-game minions in time - you're pretty much done.
So even in situations where you lose all three spells - it still allows you to get to the minions that you need faster, which might end up winning you the match.

BoS is amazing and definitely has its place, and just cause it screws you over from time to time doesn't make it garbage. Blame your luck or your deck composition instead.

Ragnaros used to miss all the time, but people still ran it religiously and I doubt anyone ever called Raggy a garbage card... same luck factor goes for any other card that involves RNG.
Let me guess OP, you're a "tempo mage" (facemage) that hoped for a bigger tempo boost?! Pls don't cry, your ret*rded archetype still has Aluneth ;-)
05/29/2018 03:17 AMPosted by Marradoc
Depends on what spells and in what circumstances, but as ridiculous as this might at first seem - that might actually be very beneficial in some situations...

Seeing as you played it on curve, even though it discarded your spells, what you received from BoS was the ability to draw minions during turns 3-4-5 instead of drawing those possibly useless( depending on the match-up and the situation) spells. And seeing as the card is always run in a minion based deck, that might end up being more of a power boost and saving grace than drawing those spells.

Maybe I'm talking out of my !@#$, but if you can't do anything worthwhile for those 3 turns with the spells you draw, don't develop a board presence as a minion deck and can't draw mid-game minions in time - you're pretty much done.
So even in situations where you lose all three spells - it still allows you to get to the minions that you need faster, which might end up winning you the match.

I can't agree here :P Tracking costs 1, removes 3 from your deck, lets you choose which one you keep. Book costs 2, removes 3 from your deck, you get literally nothing. You could argue if playing Book on 2 should be considered an optimal choice, but paying 2 mana to do literally nothing can't be considered a good outcome.

The point of running a Minion Mage is having Book as your reload tool, otherwise you could just play Zoolock, aggro Paladin or something like that. Book is supposed to be the payoff for running few spells. Discarding 3 is like drawing both UIs before Spiteful - you're suddenly running a restricted deck for literally no reason.
05/29/2018 03:29 AMPosted by Rozenkranc
05/29/2018 03:17 AMPosted by Marradoc

I can't agree here :P Tracking costs 1, removes 3 from your deck, lets you choose which one you keep. Book costs 2, removes 3 from your deck, you get literally nothing. You could argue if playing Book on 2 should be considered an optimal choice, but paying 2 mana to do literally nothing can't be considered a good outcome.

The point of running a Minion Mage is having Book as your reload tool, otherwise you could just play Zoolock, aggro Paladin or something like that. Book is supposed to be the payoff for running few spells. Discarding 3 is like drawing both UIs before Spiteful - you're suddenly running a restricted deck for literally no reason.

True, excellent points, and personally when I played around with it - I never used it on turn 2. Anyway, while it's definitely not preferable and not the best outcome, what I meant to say is that it's not necessarily the end of a match when it happens.
A while ago I played against a Mage who had like 6 spells in her deck, yet she played Book of Specters and didn't discarded a single one.

That means Book of Specters is OP. I mean, draw 3 cards for 2 mana? Broken beyond belief.
05/29/2018 01:01 AMPosted by CheezusCrust
"it didnt work for me, so its crap"

Incorrect: "It didn't work for me that one time, so it's crap"
Garbage car.

Drove it 350 miles when it's rated for 300, ran out of gas.

Gotta remember folks, if the mileage is based on gas related stuff, never trust the algorithms used to create the gas mileage.
I've had my experiences with the card drafting it in area and it was decent. The best thing it has done for me is draw 3 minions when I ran out of steam. The worst thing (it happened only once) was discard a fireball, frost bolt and pyroblast. I was a bit sad because any one of those cards would have given me lethal and in the end I lost that game.

I think for constructed it's good in an aggressive mage if you can replace the usual burn spells such as frost bolt and fireball with minion alternatives such as charge minions or minions such as life drinker or blazecaller. I'm not sure if that's worth it currently but I think the card has seen play in murloc mage (not too sure how popular that has been as well).

I think how good book of spectres is will be dependent on how much you value spells. It's suited for a deck with few or no spells but can also be run in decks as a 3rd/4th arcane intellect if you're willing to risk losing your spells. You may not want play book of spectres if your spells are your only direct damage options or do specific things that you can't live without.

I think in general, unless you build a deck around book of spectres, arcane intellect would be better overall.